What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - Swift Owner

Hi I have a 2008 Suzuki Swift that has only 78000 on the clock. Had it from new.

It has passed it's MOT with a few advisories.

It also needs a passenger bottom arm and I am now starting to have trouble putting it in 3rd gear and it's making a sort of rubbing noise, especially in low gear and when coasting down hills etc.

The garage that did my MOT seems to think its the gear box probably the bearings and would need a rebuild.

To get all these jobs done it will cost me about £1000 parts and labour to put right.

I have put my details on 'We buy any car' just to see it's worth. They are saying £700 but I fear it would be less than that when they look at it anyway.

So as the heading goes ...... Worth paying out or get rid?

Thank you for any replies in advance.

Edited by Swift Owner on 21/09/2024 at 12:38

Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - elekie&a/c doctor
Tricky one . Gearbox issue is a known problem on these . However , as you’ve had the car from new , it may be worth getting fixed . It’s possibly to pick these up for about £1500 , but you don’t know if they are better or worse than what you’ve got .
Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - Andrew-T

As above. You have to decide whether you prefer to afford something newer, and opinion on here suggests that decent used cars are hard to find, so prices are hardening.

Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - expat

If you purchase a brand new one it will cost you much more than 1000 in depreciation every year. If you purchase a replacement second hand one you are taking a chance on whether it will be needing repairs soon. After all, the previous owner must have had some reason to sell it.

If you still like the car and it is otherwise in good condition then do the repair. If you fancy a new car then get one if you have the spare money.

Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - edlithgow

Only done one gearbox rebuild, on a Triumph 1300.

I dont THINK it was terribly difficult (late 70's so memory fades) but did manage to accidentally scam free bearings (was trying to scam trade price, which made a big difference in those distant days) which made it quite cheap.

I'd imagine these days it might be difficult to get the bits, (and of course impossible in Taiwan).

Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - Big John

and I am now starting to have trouble putting it in 3rd gear and it's making a sort of rubbing noise, especially in low gear and when coasting down hills etc.

I wonder if both those symptoms are related - could be gearbox mounts allowing it to move affecting gearbox linkages and possibly causing rubbing noise. Just a thought. I had a top mount of a gearbox on my old Octavia that failed and caused weird stuff. Cheapish fix though.

Edited by Big John on 10/10/2024 at 23:58

Suzuki Swift - Worth paying out or get rid? - Swift Owner

Thank you all so much for your replies :)

Well I was offered £400 for it in the end and have decided to get rid. I have put a deposit down on a Suzuki Celerio to pick up tomorrow which I started a new thread about :(