What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - JoeW980

Hello,

I have a Peugeot 508SW Hybrid which I purchased not too long ago (couple of months) It appears in that time my front offside tyre has developed a slow puncture (will lose about 10PSI over 3 weeks) and it is just around 3mm of tread depth so I am considering replacing rather than repairing - They are also summer tyres and I would prefer All Seasons.

Currently fitted are Continental EcoContact 6's all round

Fronts both around 3mm, rears around 4mm.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice, as if I go for replacing then I will replace all 4 at the same time as will be switching to all seasons, or whether it'd be worth getting the tyre repaired and keep it going for a bit longer.

I'm just a bit concerned I'd be wasting a lot of tyre with the rears at 4mm - but again I didn't buy these tyres so not at too much of a loss - and I'd prefer switching to all seasons rather than keeping summer ones.

I have been looking at Goodyear Vector 4Season G3 (The G2 supposedly were factory fit on this model?)

I'm also planning on having a towbar fitted and will be pulling a folding camper (only 450KG) so would want a reliable tyre for this too.

Thanks in advance!

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - daveyjp

Winter is coming. 3mm is nothing on wet leaf covered and potentially snow covered roads.

As you want all season get all four changed.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - edlithgow

Winter is coming. 3mm is nothing on wet leaf covered and potentially snow covered roads.

My understanding is that tread-depth is positively related to clearing standing water from the contact patch to avoid aquaplaning.

I'd doubt it would have much positive influence on wet leaf covering, mostly because I can't think of a way it could, but also because a quick search of data sources didn't find anything on the effect of leaves, though it may be out there somewhere.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - galileo

My understanding is that tread-depth is positively related to clearing standing water from the contact patch to avoid aquaplaning.

I'd doubt it would have much positive influence on wet leaf covering, mostly because I can't think of a way it could, but also because a quick search of data sources didn't find anything on the effect of leaves, though it may be out there somewhere.

Leaves on the rails are a regular excuse for cancelled/delayed trains here (in the country that invented railways).

There are special trains with high pressure water jetting equipment to blast the rail heads, apparently leaves form a film when crushed which adheres and causes wheel slip.

Current trains seldom have the adhesion weight per axle of steam locos and wheel sizes are not as large.

Leaves on the rails are a regular excuse for cancelled/delayed trains here (in the country that invented railways).

There are special trains with high pressure water jetting equipment to blast the rail heads, apparently leaves form a film when crushed which adheres and causes wheel slip.

Current trains seldom have the adhesion weight per axle of steam locos and wheel sizes are not as large.

And train wheels are COMPLETELY BALD!

The HORROR!

I suppose oversteer isn't much of a problem though.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/09/2024 at 12:11

Pirelli rather ungrammatically state

"The deeper the tread depth on your tyres, the better the performance on ice compared to a more worn tyres"

but then they would, wouldn't they?

Be more convincing if they said how/why.

I'd guess ice is pretty analogous to wet leaf film. Snow seems likely to be a bit more complicated

www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/driving-and-tyre-t...e

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Andrew-T

<< Leaves on the rails are a regular excuse for cancelled/delayed trains here (in the country that invented railways). >>

I don't think much useful parallel can be drawn between flexible tyres on tarmac roads with leaf cover, and steel wheels on steel rails. Do you ? If so, what ?

Nor do I think that tread depth will make a lot of difference if wet leaf cover is enough to pose a severe skidding hazard. In fact I might imagine that shallow tread, being more rigid, could be slightly more help than 7 or 8mm depth ?

<< Leaves on the rails are a regular excuse for cancelled/delayed trains here (in the country that invented railways). >>

I don't think much useful parallel can be drawn between flexible tyres on tarmac roads with leaf cover, and steel wheels on steel rails. Do you ? If so, what ?

Nor do I think that tread depth will make a lot of difference if wet leaf cover is enough to pose a severe skidding hazard. In fact I might imagine that shallow tread, being more rigid, could be slightly more help than 7 or 8mm depth ?

The common factor is that wet leaves are slippery and difficult for a wheel to cut through to grip on the underlying surface.

It may be that higher wheel loading/wheel size means that HGVs are less affected than cars, I have not seen comparison data to confirm or deny this speculation.

I might imagine that NO tread, giving more contact area, could be slightly more help, as it is on a dry clean road surface, though I dont know this for a fact, and it wouldn't be of any practical use in the UK even if it were true

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Miniman777

The problem is not the weight of the individual carriages, it is that since the mid-70s trains have had disc brakes, like a car, whereas older trains had tread brakes. Here the cast iron brake blocks worked on the steel tyres of the wheel and had the effect of sc***ing off debris, but they are not as effective as disc brakes.

<< The problem is not the weight of the individual carriages, it is that since the mid-70s trains have had disc brakes, like a car, whereas older trains had tread brakes. Here the cast iron brake blocks worked on the steel tyres of the wheel and had the effect of sc.raping off debris, but they are not as effective as disc brakes. >>

Yes indeed, but neither kind of brake does anything to help the steel wheel make direct contact with the rail, which is the only way to stop a train. Disc brakes will at least avoid being contaminated with leaves, while blocks don't.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - corax

<< The problem is not the weight of the individual carriages, it is that since the mid-70s trains have had disc brakes, like a car, whereas older trains had tread brakes. Here the cast iron brake blocks worked on the steel tyres of the wheel and had the effect of sc.raping off debris, but they are not as effective as disc brakes. >>

Yes indeed, but neither kind of brake does anything to help the steel wheel make direct contact with the rail, which is the only way to stop a train. Disc brakes will at least avoid being contaminated with leaves, while blocks don't.

Also, the old trains had a facility to apply sand to the track before the driving wheels. I would have thought it would be sharp enough to pierce a layer of slimy leaves under the driving loco's weight.

Also, the old trains had a facility to apply sand to the track before the driving wheels. I would have thought it would be sharp enough to pierce a layer of slimy leaves under the driving loco's weight.

Loco's certainly have sanding gear, not sure if multiple unit carriages do, obviously more complex to fit and refill than on a loco.

<< .... the old trains had a facility to apply sand to the track before the driving wheels. I would have thought it would be sharp enough to pierce a layer of slimy leaves under the driving loco's weight. >>

I don't know about sand on modern trains, but those disc brakes are efficient enough to lock axles if applied with too much force, even without leaves on the line. That easily causes flats on the wheel(s) which can often be heard passing my house :-)

As you haven't had the car very long, it's quite likely that your 'puncture' is just slow loss at the bead, caused by surface corrosion of the alloy. Your choice is whether to lash out now for a set of tyres (not cheap) or get the leaky one checked and reseated on a cleaned-up wheel. If it is a puncture, repair is cheap anyway.

If you enjoy vigorous driving, probably change the tyres. If not, get full value out of the ones you have - assuming they are less than 5 years old.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/09/2024 at 10:02

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - gordonbennet

If you're going all season suggest buying soonest even if you don't fit yet, as the weather gets colder prices for winter rated tyres will probably rise..

I stuck a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pro on our Forester a few weeks ago decently priced and very happy with them so far, have had previous Quatracs on various family cars and have no complaints.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Big John

I stuck a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pro on our Forester a few weeks ago decently priced and very happy with them so far, have had previous Quatracs on various family cars and have no complaints.

I'm a fan of all season tyres as they are about the right fit for the UK climate. My first were the Quatrac 5's that were good in many conditions but not the best in monsoon rain although I note the later tyres have changed tread pattern to be similar to Vector or Crossclimate tyres. I'd consider again especially as they seem good value. I sold my old Superb mk I with the Quatrac 5's on and with the new owner they lasted nearly 60k miles although he took them to the absolute limit which I wouldn't do.

I'm a fan of the Michelin Cross climate and had two sets fitted to my recently sold Superb mkII, Mrs BJ has the Vector 2's fitted to her Panda. Both seem excellent although the Crossclimates rather reduced the road noise of the Superb and they were excellent in Yorkshire/Lancashire monsoon weather.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Brit_in_Germany

>As you haven't had the car very long, it's quite likely that your 'puncture' is just slow loss at the bead, caused by surface corrosion of the alloy.

Or simply a screw embedded in the rubber. But maybe the OP has checked such simple things.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - John F

Fronts both around 3mm, rears around 4mm.....

...I'm just a bit concerned I'd be wasting a lot of tyre with the rears at 4mm

Indeed. Although someone might benefit as the tyre disposer would probably offload them to a used tyre vendor. Personally, I would swap wheels fronts to rears and while doing so, examine the leaky tyre with soapy water to trace the leak, which I would probably live with. Five minutes with a track pump every couple of weeks is good exercise. They should be good for at least another 10,000 miles.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - catsdad

If a tyre is leaking at 10PSI every three weeks it’s not enough to pump it up every couple of weeks. It needs proper assessment and repair or replacement. A good tyre at 3-4 mm is acceptable but running with three at the correct pressures and the fourth slowly deflating is risky.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Xileno

You've mentioned a desire to have some All Season tyres so just have all four replaced and then you're done for a good while.

If you decide not to do that I would definitely get the leaking tyre inspected, there may be damage on the inner side of the tyre not visible without taking the wheel off. In my experience of leaking tyres they can suddenly get worse. You also refer to towing - any flat is a pain but whilst towing is extra bad news.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Halmerend
I’ve just bought 4 Bridgestone all season tyres at KF with 20% discount. My son had 4 Hankook all seasons fitted on his Civic which I really liked when I drove it. As always there are pros and cons of moving to these from summer tyres.
Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Engineer Andy
I’ve just bought 4 Bridgestone all season tyres at KF with 20% discount. My son had 4 Hankook all seasons fitted on his Civic which I really liked when I drove it. As always there are pros and cons of moving to these from summer tyres.

Indeed, and that's why it's a good idea to consult the Tyre Reviews website, as it gives both 'professional' reviews by themselves (Jon) or linked ones from the car mags across all of Europe, plus a wealth of end-user reviews / data that helps us all see what real-world usage stacks up to be, rather than when the tyres are just paired with the usual test cars (like a VW Golf for standard tyres, a BMW 3/4 series coupe for higher performance rated ones).

What works for one model of car or driving style doesn't work for another.

A shame for the OP as A/S and winter tyres will now be going up in price as the colder, wetter weather reappears. When I bought my current set of CC+s back in 2018, I found that the best time to but was in early spring.

Admittedly back then the dealers also had much better prices and more (better) offers on than they do nowadays, now that finances are much fighter.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Gateway88

Indeed, and that's why it's a good idea to consult the Tyre Reviews website, as it gives both 'professional' reviews by themselves (Jon) or linked ones from the car mags across all of Europe, plus a wealth of end-user reviews / data.

Agreed. Absolutely the best tyre information resource on the entire internet without exception! And as luck would have it, the latest video this week is about the six best all season tyres for 24/25. Continental scored particularly well.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - FoxyJukebox
I’d give the car a birthday and get 4 new tyres properly fitted-then you’ll know where you are for at least three years. Yes-it’s an outlay-but having just got a nearly new car-what the heck.
Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - JoeW980

Thanks all for the advice.

I did go and get my tyres checked over at Kwik-Fit, they weren't able to see there was any puncture in the tyre, but did notice it had already been repaired once in it's lifetime, which was news to me as that wasn't mentioned during the sales process. So not sure why that particular tyre is

They've recommended the Bridgestone Turanza 6 tyres - reviews look good on them, but their discount offer doesn't seem to be on anymore.

I'll likely keep an eye on my current tyres and should an offer come on the Bridgestones then I'll go for them.

I did go and get my tyres checked over at Kwik-Fit, they weren't able to see there was any puncture in the tyre, but did notice it had already been repaired ...

If there is no obvious puncture, the most likely cause is surface corrosion of the alloy wheel where the tyre seats. Less likely might be a leaky valve. Having the rim cleaned off and the tyre refitted is not expensive, so worth doing. The job is the same as mending a puncture, so whichever the fitter finds is easily fixed.

Peugeot 508 SW - Should I change Tyres? - Big John

I wouldn't just accept what Kwik-Fit says although the Bridgestone Turanza is a good tyre. Look at reviews online eg ADAC etc. Then see if you can find a deal looking at the top tyres - not just with Kwik-Fit, shop around.

Edited by Big John on 23/09/2024 at 23:58