What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Need a new to me car - Older'ndust

I posted on here previously asking about getting another diesel car. Having done a lot of reading since (and scared myself half to death), thought I would come back to get more advice on a forum that seems a good one to me. And I have run a forum myself previously, not about cars obviously, so understand what makes a forum good.

OK, have decided to possibly spend a little more than the original £8K I was looking at to get the right car for hubby and self. Possibly up to £10K or a little higher.

We currently have a Honda Civic 2013 diesel engine that not long after I bought it (May 2016) had a good journey to test the mpg on. Stourbridge to Wimbledon to Reading and straight return to Stourbridge. Returned 67. something on that journey. Has consistently returned approx. 54mpg using it on trips to Birmingham 5 days a week, and at least 2 motorway journeys a month either to a friends who lives on the outskirts of Solihull, or a family member who lives on the outskirts of Sutton Coldfield.

Having had diesels all my life, and towing caravans and driving horseboxes since in my mid 20's, now find the prospect of getting a 'new to me' car - especially a petrol one.

We don't like an uncomfortable ride, but cannot afford luxury and MPG is important to us. However, as we take our grandson around with us a lot we do not want a car with no back end. Should have added somewhere that we also have a dog!

OK, open to thoughts, and thanks for sticking with me so far!!

PS. Maybe I should add that I am a woman, and don't understand a lot of the 'shorthand' used about cars now, so some questions about any of that are likely to come back to you.

Edited by Older'ndust on 26/08/2024 at 18:49

Need a new to me car - SLO76
How many miles will you expect to be doing in a year? Do you find the Civic big enough and is the ride ok for you? What sort of usage will the typically see, mostly local or will it get a regular distance run? Diesels are out of fashion, they became too complex in pursuit of lower emissions and typically suffer loads of expensive faults as they age plus many within your budget don’t meet ULEZ standards and are thus banned from many city centres.

Petrol is in general much more reliable and also thanks to the strangling emissions control equipment on modern diesels and the higher cost of the fuel they’re not really much cheaper to fuel.

Do you have an option to fit a home charger? Could an electric car fit your needs since you will have two cars? We use one for the bulk of our driving, but have a petrol estate car for long distance runs.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/08/2024 at 19:32

Need a new to me car - gordonbennet

A newer and hopefully lowish mileage Civic Diesel estate?

They appear from everything we hear to be among the most reliable of the modern Diesels, we also don't hear much bad being said about Toyota 1.4 Diesel as found in the Auris estate, Diesel is now out of favour but its not dead yet.

If you want to enter large cities (you couldn't pay me enough) then there might be some penalty to pay with staying Diesel if its pre euro6.

Thanks for your response. No, do not have the ability to have home charger fitted, therefore electric car out. Also, the cost of the battery replacement when needed puts me off them

I like the size of our Civic, so would be looking for something with 5 seats as well as decent boot space, due to the dog. So anything anyone can think of that is at least really reasonable on mpg if not good, I would like to be able to consider and go and view a few, to get the feel of them.

Given all the issues going on with diesel cars now, I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we really should buy a petrol car. Maybe I should have made that really clear in my initial post above. Tried to go back in and edit it, but obviously too much time has gone by for me to edit it....... Sorry about any confusion.

We will still be doing the motorway journeys of around 25 to 30 miles at least twice a month, plus shorter journeys around home etc. We tend to have at least 2 holidays per year, plus we go away for around 2 or 3 nights probably another 2 or 3 times a year. Generally Somerset, Cornwall or generally over 450/500 miles round trip for the holidays I have only visited Scotland once, so that is on the cards for at least one holiday, plus a few other area's up north that I visited fairly frequently when I was younger.

Edited by Older'ndust on 26/08/2024 at 21:11

Need a new to me car - Adampr

I don't think I you do enough annual mileage to get really hung up on MPG.

Anyway, could you just clarify whether this car will be towing regularly please? If it's an occasional tow, what sort of weight?

No, we would not use the car for towing. Decided not to do any more towing caravans around the country and just go for a petrol car. Just getting my knickers in a twist, as have never bought a petrol car before.

Need a new to me car - Warning

I think you're overly anxious about petrol cars. In my experience, the cabin noise is much lower with a petrol engine, which is quieter than a diesel engine (which sounds like truck). That's important to be to enjoy music. Electric cars are even quieter.

While petrol cars do have lower MPG, diesel fuel is now more expensive. In the grand scheme of things, if you spend £50 on diesel fuel, petrol might cost you around £65 (just an guestimate). How often do you really take long journeys?

Useful to others this is a link to your previous article: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/198676/open-to-ide...s

I'm still not sure why you're looking to buy a newer car. A few years ago, I test-drove a 2012 Honda Civic 1.4 Petrol, and it was a great drive. I wanted to buy it, but the car was a little small for my needs. I assume you have the 1.6 diesel engine variant.

The Honda Civic is a reliable car. Newer petrol models often come with smaller turbocharged engines, which, in my opinion, put more strain on the engine.

I noted your travelled to Wimbledon, so you may have had to pay for ULEZ, but I still think it is worth paying the ULEZ charge, then spending a significant sums on a new car. Assuming these are occasional journeys.

There is always a risk in buying a new car. You have owned the car since 2016 and I imagine you have looked after it.

A Skoda Fabia estate might work. With the 1.0tsi it's very light on fuel. Should be room in the boot for the dog unless it's massive. .

Need a new to me car - badbusdriver

Not sure why yet another new and separate thread from the OP?, when the last one would have sufficed perfectly well. Indeed, the OP abandoned the last one without answering at least one question (still relevant) from myself, which is why you want to spend £8-10k on a newer car when you already have a diesel Civic?. A car which, as I said on your last thread, is one of very few modern diesels which doesn't seem to suffer problems through doing lower miles/shorter journeys than ideal to keep DPF* healthy. If the Civic fits your current needs re space, there seems little point in changing unless ULEZ will affect you.

The Honda Civic is a reliable car. Newer petrol models often come with smaller turbocharged engines, which, in my opinion, put more strain on the engine.

Might be more helpful to give the OP some useful info rather than supposition. In the case of the 1.0 turbo petrol in the newer shape Civic this is the fact that changing the timing belt is going to cost a lot of money. This is due to the fact that the belt was originally thought to last the life of the engine and so ease of access to change it was never a consideration. We now know this isn't the case and as a result you are probably looking at a bill of £1.5k plus to change. So by all means, avoid a Civic with that engine for the actual reason you should avoid it.

There are some small turbo engines which have had well publicised problems**, but this is due to poor design, rather than Warning's opinion that putting a small turbo engine in a bigger car puts more strain on it. A small turbo engine is producing a lot more torque at lower revs than its n/a predecessor, so actually needs working less hard to produce the same performance as its N/A*** predecessor.

Back to the OP's conundrum. If you really feel you must change, I'd suggest a Skoda Scala 1.0TSI. There are a few kicking about on Autotrader under £10k but if you can up that budget by another grand, there are more to choose from. It is a similar size to a (pre 2017) Civic, so if that has enough space for your needs, a Scala should also be fine. Get a lower spec car with smaller wheels for the best ride comfort and don't be put off by the lower powered version (94bhp), unless you are always in a hurry it will be fine.

*DPF = diesel particulate filter. These were being fitted to pretty much all diesels by 2009 to make the emissions from a diesel tailpipe much less harmful. But in order to keep working properly, they need to "regenerate", that is to burn off the accumulations. But it is difficult too this if the car is only ever used on short journeys and rectifying a clogged up DPF could relieve you of £2k plus.

**Most notably Ford's 1.0 Ecoboost, but also the 1.2 Puretech used in various Citroen, Peugeot and latterly Vauxhall models. The issues in both were supposedly rectified on later cars, but certainly in the case of a Ford, I'd probably still avoid. In the case of the Puretech, I'm not sure. According to a forum member (who has owned a Peugeot 2008 with this engine for several years now) 2019 onwards cars will be fine. But I do really like some of the cars this engine has been fitted to!. In the case of the Honda engine, as mentioned, reliability isn't so much the problem as the cost of the inevitable belt replacement.

***N/A = naturally aspirated, i.e, non turbo. Small capacity turbo engines (most commonly now 1.0, but the Puretech is a 1.2) are now used where in the past you'd find a N/A engine between 1.4 and 1.8 litres.

Need a new to me car - Heidfirst

if the op must/still wants to change they could do worse than look at something like one of the last (~2017/18) Toyota Avensis 1.8 estates but it won't average 54mpg (probably more like ~40) but is LEZ compliant. They could probably just about get into a leggy Auris estate maybe even a hybrid which will do diesel-like mpg (the 2018> Corolla estate whilst a much improved car probably won't be found for £10k). Have to compete for the hybrids with private hire cars drivers as they are incredibly reliable & cheap to run.

Might be more helpful to give the OP some useful info rather than supposition.

I based this on what Scotty Kilmer said. He has spent a life time being a car mechanic and now spreads his wisdom on YouTube.

Need a new to me car - JonestHon

Turbo chargers are not inherently a liability. It is all depends on how you maintain and drive. To go down to basics on these devices work in modern vehicles, see here youtu.be/zthdvOkkMmU?si=9djWYs7roxY6SIL3

Need a new to me car - kerbed enthusiasm

For £10k I'd be looking at a Prius hybrid, UK registered with a decent service history and running on sensible tyres. We're in a similar situation but having had to change both cars there were budgetary restrictions. Most Prius (Priuses, Prii?) for the £8k I was willing to spend either had substantial mileages or were imports with questionable service history. That said, I wouldn't worry about buying a Toyota hybrid with higher mileage than other cars of the same value.

Edited by kerbed enthusiasm on 27/08/2024 at 13:38

OK, sorry to have caused so much confusion on here, and thanks for all your responses. Let me set out specifics.

It was my husbands 13 plate Mondeo that we used for towing the caravan that I wrote off. The Civic is mine, but as I had to take ill health retirement a couple of years ago, my husband was using the Civic to get to work and back. Therefore, we often swapped cars, depending on what we were doing each day.

My husband is 6'2" tall and earlier in the year found out he has one leg half inch shorter than the other. This can cause him some discomfort on long journeys, but nothing a few pain killers won't sort out when we do have to do them in future.

We are not replacing then Civic, we are buying a car to replace the Mondeo. However, the fact that so much has changed over the years that I have obviously not kept up with, is what has got my knickers in a twist. I first used this forum when I was looking in early 2016 to buy another car. The Skoda Octavia and the Honda Civic were the two cars I had my eye on.

We have always had dogs, and also I have always had cars with a decent back end on. My two daughters lives if being involved in a rear end crash, as well as the all round decent protection in a car has been important to me since my first daughter was born in '87. We only have one daughter now, and also have an almost 3 year old grandson, which is why I still want a car with a decent back end.

I can't afford a Volvo (my Dad had a 740), so am now looking for a petrol engine that is not going to cost an arm and a leg due to the potential impact of new potential regs regarding diesels (can't remember the exact letters/number that this one is).

So, still considering looking at a Skoda Octavia. Also going to ask my friend if I can borrow some money off her and pay her half a percent above what she gets in her longer term lower access savings account. She will be back from the Canaries on the first, so will go over to see her a few days later after she's had chance to settle back in.

Now you have the actual info re: why and what we are looking for, backed up by some of the reasons behind my thoughts, maybe it will be a little easier to offer info on what car may be best for me.

Do not really want to look at a 1.0 engine as I feel it is to small, but that's just me. Prefer to pay a little more for a more substantial car around us, and get a few miles per gallon less.

Don't see our motorway use on 50+ round trips ever two weeks or so ever going down until we are both relatively housebound. Also, a couple of hols per year in this country will be here to stay for us and our daughter and grandson are here to stay. Also will still be also going off for a couple of nights per year 2 or 3 times a year by ourselves. Possibly even more so when husband retires in February next year.

ROFLMAO.... now you more or less know my life story, does that help any more??

And continued admiration for those of you that have managed to stick with me so far, and are still prepared to offer help and support!

J.

Need a new to me car - SLO76
Where roughly will you be looking? I’ll take a look around for nearby options for you. We can make recommendations all day, but that doesn’t help if there’s none for sale.

ROFLMAO.... now you more or less know my life story, does that help any more??

Frankly I'm not really any clearer.

Going back to the beginning with your first thread, you ask about a Peugeot 2008. Yet in this thread you say you want, "a more substantial car around us". And while no actual reference was made (other than engine size immediately prior), I'm assuming this comment is answering my suggestion of a Skoda Scala 1.0. This is confusing to me because the Scala is both longer and wider than a 2008, so is in fact a "more substantial" car than the car you were interested in buying. Furthermore, even if one goes along with the flawed reasoning that a bigger back end provides better protection from a rear impact (it doesn't really work like that, how well a car absorbs impact from any direction depends on how well it has been designed to do so), the Scala is also "better" on account of it's boot being longer in length with rear seats n place (i.e, a bigger back end) that that of the 2008. Also worth pointing out another couple of safety related points (well one, plus caveat). Having a small engine has no bearing on the safety of the car. Unless the car was designed to only accept a small engine, in which case (in theory anyway) the car could be more safe because more of the space between front bumper and cabin could be designed to absorb the impact through deformation than if a physically larger engine needed to be fitted.

In reference to a 1.0 being too small, too small for what?. If you have driven one and didn't think it offered enough performance for you, fair enough. But if not, then why dismiss it outright without even trying?. Our current car is a Hyundai Bayon 1.0 turbo and it has the same power (120bhp) as your Civic 1.6 turbo diesel. It lopes along at 70mph pulling just 2500rpm (it is a 7 speed auto) with plenty of power in reserve. It is every bit as accomplished a cruiser as the Hyundai i30 1.6 turbo diesel we used to have and the Vauxhall Meriva 1.7 turbo diesel we had before the i30. Unless regularly towing a heavy trailer, I'm not sure why anyone (in this country at least) would need (as opposed to want) any more performance than it has.

I can't afford a Volvo

This is a particularly baffling comment?. No, it won't be as young and yes, it will most likely have higher miles, but of course you can afford Volvo with £10K (or even £8k)!. Only last night I was looking a particularly appealing 2005 XC70 (though it was a diesel) which I'd take over any current Volvo. Low miles (66k) and owners (2), and in (what appeared to be) immaculate condition for £8995!.

So, still considering looking at a Skoda Octavia.

Pretty much the same under the skin as the Scala but in a bigger package. Engine options include the same 1.0 turbo as the Scala (albeit only with the higher power output) along with a 1.5 turbo.

Not sure where you got the 2008 from, BBD. Anyway, we are a little bit clearer.

We're looking for:

Petrol

Decent back seats

Room for a dog

Feels substantial

Frugal

Quite possibly automatic (much less painful to drive with leg problems).a

The difficulty is finding something that feels substantial but is easy on fuel. I still think the Skoda options (my Fabia estate, your Scala) are pretty good. Maybe a Toyota Auris?

I got it from the OP's first thread, which you posted on.

peugeot-2008---need

Guess I'm not the only one getting forgetful.........

;-)

Guess I'm not the only one getting forgetful.........

;-)

Certainly not. I haven't the slightest idea what happened yesterday...

OK, from what I can remember of the above posts :

Never heard of a Scala before. Only knew about the Peugeot 2008 as there was one at a local car place I had a sit in and talked to the sales rep about.

Volvo was about my Dad had a 740 estate back in the day, which I sometime had to get someone to take me to wherever parents were holidaying to tow their caravan back, as Dad's back had gone. Never been in another one since. Just assumed a more recent petrol one would be out of my price range. (Yes, it does make and ass out of u and me)!

Last petrol engines around 1.0 I have driven / ridden was a mini in the late 70's and a Kowasaki 1000, again in the late 70's.

Realising that petrol engines have come on leaps and bounds since I last bought one (except for the B registered VW T25 which is parked on my drive (forgot about that when talking about not doing petrol engines). This tootles up/down the motorway all day at a steady 70, except for coffee breaks and speed restricted parts. However, have not used it since 2017, due to no power steering and my having arthritis in my neck/shoulders.

I live in Stourbridge in the West Midlands.

Currently am leaning towards possibly a Toyota Avensis, but as have not yet sat in one, am not sure.

I'm not just forgetful, but VERY forgetful. Have lived with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since my late 30's and developed fibromyalgia in my 50's, which, along with my age, results in a brain like mush that also gives me a fair few brain f*rts along the way.

Still really happy to hear opinions on what other cars people feel may be worth a look, (and am going online looking at and keeping a list of) for those that are still hanging with me.

Once I do find something I feel will suit us, I am happy to travel over 300 miles round trip to get the right car.

Thanks all.

Edited by Older'ndust on 28/08/2024 at 21:22

Need a new to me car - Andrew-T

Once I do find something I feel will suit us, I am happy to travel over 300 miles round trip to get the right car..

Don't do that if you can avoid it. It could be a real nuisance if the car needs work soon after you buy.

Need a new to me car - Heidfirst

Currently am leaning towards possibly a Toyota Avensis, but as have not yet sat in one, am not sure.

The 1.8 M-Drive S (CVT) was HJ's favourite version of the last Avensis. Estate has decent loads pace & flexible. Should average ~40mpg but obviously dependent on exact journey profiles & driving style.

Very reliable car, quite cheap to insure. A runout (2017/18 should be within budget,

OK, following several long conversations with my husband we have finally decided to keep the caravan and get a decent car to pull it.

I had a quick look at a VW Touereg Diesel Estate 3.0 V6 engine, but then saw some of the issues, or more to the point, the cost that some of these to rectify, has totally put me off.

Are there any members who tow caravans on here that would be able to offer some suggestions for me to consider please?

Also, was unsure if I may be best to start a new thread, or leave it on the old one?

Thanks

Need a new to me car - Xileno

Probably best to continue on in this thread. It's all in one place then.

It might be useful to state what size the caravan is. Do you really need something in the Touareg category?

It's a two berth, and from best of memory, it is over1500kg unladen. As we carry enough for ourselves and now our grandson also (can take a tent for our daughter), I feel the more capacity for towing at weight the better.

I have safely towed one and a half times weight in past, and have 40 years of towing experience behind me, trailers, caravans and even a horse trailer. Once used a horsebox to tow a caravan to Wembley once when the owner broke her arm. So towing is not an issue for me, What is however, is my lack of knowledge of newer cars and any specific guidance etc. that go along with things.

The one I have seen that interests me at the moment is : 2019 Blue SKODA Superb 2.0 TDI SE Technology (150 ps) - HEATED SEATS - DRIVER MEMORY SEAT - DAB 5dr for sale for £14,339 (autotrader.co.uk)

Or there's this one : 2017 Silver SKODA Superb 2.0 TDI SE L Executive Estate 5dr Diesel Manual Euro 6 (s/s) (150 ps) for sale for £10,450 in SHREWSBURY, SHROPSHIRE (autotrader.co.uk)

Not overly worried about the high mileage, as will not use it too much around home after February next year, as my husband is due to retire then, and still have the Honda Civic as a runaround.

I am still looking through the reviews of other potential tow cars though, so am grateful for any other info or opinions people are able to provide.

Edited by Older'ndust on 01/09/2024 at 20:02

Also, would this 4WD with 18" wheels mean it is less fuel efficient. It has has 4 previous owners since 2018 registration?

2018 Grey SKODA Superb 2.0 TDI Laurin & Klement 4WD Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr for sale for £13,995 in Fareham, Hampshire (autotrader.co.uk)

I was looking at Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D Business Edition 141 BHP but am unsure about their ability towing caravans. Anyone have any idea's / experience of these cars?

Thanks

Edited by Older'ndust on 01/09/2024 at 21:48