What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - Older'ndust

Having just written off my husbands 2013 plate Mondeo, I am now looking for a replacement car. I have a 13 plate Honda Civic which is returning a milage of around 54mpg driving into and out of a city 5 days on a 26 mile round trip.

We currently have just over £8k of that we can access by the end of next week, and I have today seen a Peugeot 2008 1.5 Deisel at a local car sales place.

Have looked at MOT history and can see that due to recent fail, has had N/S front suspension joint replacement. Advisory that shows likely that O/S is likely to go same way in not too distant future.

I would appreciate if people could give me their thoughts and feedback on the above please.

Thanks.

Edited by Older'ndust on 18/08/2024 at 21:02

Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - Xileno

The age and mileage of this particular 2008 would be useful to know, then people can give a more informed view.

Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - DavidGlos
What engine is it? Probably the 1.2, 3-cylinder PureTech petrol engine. Pretty sure there’s somebody on here with one, so hopefully they’ll be along to share their thoughts.

I believe that is a ‘wet belt / belt in oil’ design, which doesn’t have the best reputation for longevity.
Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - Adampr
What engine is it? Probably the 1.2, 3-cylinder PureTech petrol engine. Pretty sure there’s somebody on here with one, so hopefully they’ll be along to share their thoughts. I believe that is a ‘wet belt / belt in oil’ design, which doesn’t have the best reputation for longevity.

It's a 1.5 diesel.

Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - badbusdriver

Doesn't seem to me that the OP needs a diesel for a start. 26 mile round trip 5 days a week, say 4 weeks holiday per year, that's only 6.25k miles.

Yes, diesel may still be viable on paper. But buying a 2nd hand (around 7 years or more I'd say) diesel brings a big risk of major DPF risk because you simply don't know how the previous owner used it. DPF's need a certain type of running and journeys to keep healthy through regular regeneration and a car which is used exclusively for short runs is not going to get that. So you could end up buying something on the cusp of DPF failure without knowing it. So personally, I wouldn't get any diesel.

£8k should be enough get into a something VAG (Skoda Fabia for example) with the 1.0TSI engine. This should easily manage 55-60mpg, they are reliable, and no DPF to worry about.

Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - DavidGlos
What engine is it? Probably the 1.2, 3-cylinder PureTech petrol engine. Pretty sure there’s somebody on here with one, so hopefully they’ll be along to share their thoughts. I believe that is a ‘wet belt / belt in oil’ design, which doesn’t have the best reputation for longevity.

It's a 1.5 diesel.

…ah, unless I’m going senile, I think that fact was edited in after my first read! Unless you’re doing in excess of 15k miles per year, diesel is best avoided these days. Too many potential issues with blocked particulate filters, EGR valves and the like.

Thanks for responses so far. 17 Reg plate, registered31/3/17 and is a 1.6 Blue diesel HDi engine. 58,690 miles.

However, given that on checking MOT history, a couple of time on advisories showed worn tyres, once on both edges, once on outer edge, and a fail in May this year with the below showing :

Repair immediately

Nearside Front Suspension arm boil joint excessively worn

Offside Front Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer preventing ingress of dirt

Monitor and repair if necessary

Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge

Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play

My reading of the above is that this may have been an issue for some time, as at least one of the previous MOT's mentioned the tyres also.

I have always previously had diesel cars, as have had a caravan since in my mid 20's. The car that I wrote off was a Mondeo, specifically bought for towing the caravan.

Am now thinking of selling the van and getting a trailer for when grandson starts school in a couple of years time.

Fuel efficiency is essential to us as do not have loads of disposable income.

Thanks for sticking with this rather long post.

I am also making a sort of guestimate that potential cost of changing second front suspension arm is likely to be quite high..... anyone any idea of possible ball park figures as I do really quite like this car. Thanks

Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - Andrew-T

Thanks for responses so far. 17 Reg plate, registered31/3/17 and is a 1.6 Blue diesel HDi engine. 58,690 miles.

However, given that on checking MOT history, a couple of time on advisories showed worn tyres, once on both edges, once on outer edge, and a fail in May this year with the below showing :

Nothing on your MoT list worries me particularly and should be fixable at modest expense - you may need to have the car's tracking checked afterwards. Make sure those faults are not the result of a minor shunt at some time.

Thanks

Peugeot 2008 - Need another car - Lee Power

Fuel efficiency is essential to us as do not have loads of disposable income.

Go have a look on the Peugeot owners forum first before sinking your money in to a 2008 diesel - especially with low mileage use.

Petrol engine would be a better choice but avoid anything fitted with the Ecoboost or Puretech engine.

Thanks, I will see if I can find this forum.