What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - _

Coming round the M25 on a 4 lane section between J18 and 20 the other day, and there it was an elderly Merc poodling along on a not very busy bit of road at 55-60 mph in the outer lane.

So we did what every body else did .

Undertook, in lane 2...3 was empty...and as it disappeared backward,in my rear view mirror, it was still there..

Doh!!!!!

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Brit_in_Germany

Was it LHD?

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Engineer Andy

Down my way there appears to be a far bigger chapter called the MLHA, aka the Middle Lane Hoggers Association.

I believe that both groups are also afflilate members of the DUM (Doesn't Use Mirrors) society, given how the overwheling majority appear to be oblivious to vehicle around and especially behind them.

Apparently both groups don't respond to stares (as you undertake/overtake depending on the circumstance), or other vehicles doing some less than safe things when the red mist goes up, e.g. beeping or flashing them, tailgating, etc.

Had the distinct 'pleasure' of following one thes wallies up the A505 dual carriageway near me a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of being able to undertake - though I wouldn't likely on that road as it would be dangerous, at least compared to a motorway.

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - alan1302

Down my way there appears to be a far bigger chapter called the MLHA, aka the Middle Lane Hoggers Association.

Had one of those on a totally clear motorway - trundling along at 60mph...quite scary that people like this are out there driving.

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Smileyman

So the blue light brigade didn't pull the driver over for using the wrong lane, and of course the roadside cameras don't pick up bad lane discipline!

Very frustrating indeed

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Metropolis.

Have I been wrong all these years about lanes 1, 2 and 3 being left to right in that order, or did you mean lane 1 was empty?

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - _

Have I been wrong all these years about lanes 1, 2 and 3 being left to right in that order, or did you mean lane 1 was empty?

Lane 1 had some trucks trundling along... The OLOG was only barely faster than them.

I was patient for a minute or two, just in case he knew how to use his mirrors, but no...

I thought the other group, (as the Late Terry Wogan used to say) was CLOG?

allowing for the real differences between readings and actual speeds, I would think he was probably doing about58-59 mph..

And as usual the other day, we had the in and out weavers club boys on the A12 doing their thingat high speeds.

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/09/2021 at 05:10

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Sofa Spud

Remember this - fewer lane hoggers means more lane hoppers, which doesn't improve the situation on a busy motorway.

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - bathtub tom

Not necessarily. Consider a motorway with a CLOGger doing 60 in the middle lane. The legal driver will change lanes to go round them and then change lanes again to go back to the original lane they were in. Another may decide to stay in the inside lane and undertake the CLOGger, thus not hopping lanes at all.

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - John F

Not a problem in the USA - can't understand why overtaking in any lane is not allowed here, especially on four lane stretches of the M25 and M1, where 'undertaking' is becoming commonplace.

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Andrew-T

Not a problem in the USA -

There is (or was) a more valid reason for it over there. Some urban freeways (NYC anyhow) have exits on left or right, which makes life very difficult for visitors unfamiliar with the system. As exits can be quite close together, you really need to know which side of the freeway to exit from. Trying that system here makes the mind boggle.

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - Grenache

Not a problem in the USA -

There is (or was) a more valid reason for it over there. Some urban freeways (NYC anyhow) have exits on left or right, which makes life very difficult for visitors unfamiliar with the system. As exits can be quite close together, you really need to know which side of the freeway to exit from. Trying that system here makes the mind boggle.

So you should try the M8 through Glasgow, exits on both the left and right sides!

Any - OLOG. Outer lane owners group. - barney100

I usually go into the outside lane to overtake the MLHs but am confused as to wether it is legal to undertake them. I've heard it said by MLHs that as they were doing 70 mph anyone going past them is speeding, however the Highway Code I believe states keep left.