What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - _

I had my latest eye examination and eyelea injection this morning, and also a nice chat with the Consultant.

I am still ok for driving, not borderline yet and feel ok about driving, but there are signs of deterioration.

I asked ouright about driving, was told ok, but will see again in 8 weeks and have asked him to be honest with me and tell me should he feel I need to stop driving, to which (his words) Not for a good bit yet, but any changes, call the direct number and we'll fit you in.

Sitting at home now reflecting about hanging up the keys...

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - catsdad

ORB you do the right thing to consider this. Meanwhile I dare say as someone who thinks about your driving you are a good deal safer than the “fit” automatons who inhabit many cars these days.

We had three family members who were persuaded by other members to hang up the keys in recent years due to physical or mental deterioration. In none of these cases had the medics suggested this but when we felt we wouldn’t let them drive us around anymore it was time for a bit of gentle persuasion.

Have you anyone in the family you can use for an objective view of your driving in the weeks ahead?

I hope you have many unlocked miles ahead.

Edited by catsdad on 05/01/2021 at 14:46

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - Senexdriver

You may recall that I posted a few months ago to say that I had reluctantly given up driving due to AMD. For the past few visits to the optometrist there has been uncertainty as to the extent that cataracts have also been affecting my vision, so I went once again to the opthalmologist who concluded that the cataracts in one eye are at the stage where they need surgery.

I had accelerated my visit to the opthalmologist by consulting an eye surgeon privately, so when I received the NHS verdict I decided to have the cataracts done privately too. The private opthalmologist gave a guarded prognosis of improved vision and I hoped that I might be able to resume driving, if not at least cycling.

So both eyes were operated on in December. The amount of light flooding in now is staggering. I had been living in an almost twilight world, or so it seemed. However, some four weeks post-op I’m not sure I shall be able to drive again. Vision is certainly improved and I no longer need glasses except for reading, but I think the AMD is too far advanced in one eye to make driving a possibility. I tried a bike ride a couple of days ago and whilst it felt just about safe, that wouldn’t be good enough for driving unfortunately.

I have my follow-up consultation with the surgeon tomorrow and one of the questions I shall be asking him is whether I can expect any further improvement in vision or whether this is as good as it is likely to get. I’m prepared for disappointment, but who knows?

I am not too worried about stopping driving. There's a bus stop 100 metres away.

I have a mate taxi driver who uses my lockup garage in return for taxi rides.

Insurance co will transfer NCD to swmbo and premium is identical.

Just really getting myself used to the idea.

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - Steveieb
Did you once have a MG ZS ORB?
I've just posted the winners and losers for 2020 and MG have doubled their sales !
Did you once have a MG ZS ORB? I've just posted the winners and losers for 2020 and MG have doubled their sales !

I did. Dealer sold it in November 2020. Has been mot'd in Dec. And covered 1500 miles in 4 weeks. The MG Hs is doing well but the zs ev is driving the sales increases

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - badbusdriver

In 2016 my Dad had a stroke. Amongst other effects, he found he had 'gaps' in his field of vision. This wasn't discussed by the health professionals for at least a few weeks afterwards, but Dad decided straightaway that continuing to drive wouldn't be safe and that was that.

I'm proud of him doing that as, going by what I see on the roads on a day to day basis, far too many folk who clearly can't see properly, continue to drive in some sort of denial state or a morbid Russian roulette. Actually my Dad reckons that if it was his older brother who had the stroke, he would have continued to drive until told specifically to stop.

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - Terry W

I do wonder whether attitudes to stopping driving in these sort of circumstances is not only about personal emotion but practicalities.

If you live in a decent sized urban area with reasonable public transport, taxis on call at reasonable cost, a supportive family and friends the transition may be easier.

Living in a smaller village may be much more difficult - limited local shopping, limited or non-existent public transport, and a £20++ taxi ride to the nearest town is tough.

I live in a town but close to an AONB. I know that many retired there when they were tolerably fit and mobile. 20 years on, even if the mind is still willing, the body fails to cooperate they can only regret thier choice.

I do wonder whether attitudes to stopping driving in these sort of circumstances is not only about personal emotion but practicalities.

If you live in a decent sized urban area with reasonable public transport, taxis on call at reasonable cost, a supportive family and friends the transition may be easier.

Living in a smaller village may be much more difficult - limited local shopping, limited or non-existent public transport, and a £20++ taxi ride to the nearest town is tough.

I live in a town but close to an AONB. I know that many retired there when they were tolerably fit and mobile. 20 years on, even if the mind is still willing, the body fails to cooperate they can only regret thier choice.

I agree, in our case we are edge of large town.. but we are here as swmbo insisted on being waslking distance to the Hospital where she works.

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - skidpan

By late 2018 I was getting seriously worried about my sight. Has Glaucoma in my right eye, ocular hypertension in my left eye and cataracts in my right eye to make things even worse. I had always kept the DVLA up to date and because the Glaucoma only affected one eye they did not want to know. That was until late 2016 when we moved house and I applied for a new license, I restated all they already knew about and they referred me for a visual field test. The one I had regularly at the hospital was no issue for the left eye but the right eye was a different matter, however, the DVLA test is both eyes together and I got 100% so no issues. By 2018 although I could read the chart OK with both eyes if anything approached from the right it was easy to miss them.

Early 2019 I got on the Cataract list after my optician and GP both wrote to the hospital reinforcing my concerns. I was placed on the list for my right eye with the option of having the left eye done if could not cope with the mismatch in prescriptions. I was operated on early February and what a difference, everything was so much brighter, I could see clearer out of that eye than I had since I was 7. No problems with the mismatch after a couple off weeks (it was a bit of double vision). Still needed varifocals for reading but in theory I would pass my driving vision test with no specs (just shows how low the standards are - still have a -5 in my left eye).

A short while after I had a visual field test and got 100% in the right eye which I had been previously told would never recover due to nerve damage. Then it was decided that I no longer had ocular hypertension in my left eye. So now I have no need to inform the DVLA about anything.

Hopefully can keep driving for many years yet.

Well done skidpan!

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - Andrew-T

So both eyes were operated on in December. The amount of light flooding in now is staggering.

My MiL had cataracts treated in her 80s and said the same thing. But returning to ORB, my father suffered first from glaucoma and later from MD, which left him with only peripheral vision, so he was registered blind, tho he could get around familiar places OK.

Peripheral vision is not a condition I would like to consider driving with, tho I am told that I have early signs of cataract in one eye. No glaucoma so far, so at 82 I am not too worried about that.

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - Avant

Very good news Skidpan, and hope all continues to go well, ORB.

Had the full works eye examination with the optometrist yesterday, and she was very pleased with how things going,

Visual fields/spatial awareness 100% , area around macular degeneration clearer, was really pleased that the eyelea injections were benefitting me, and that yet again no need to change prescriptions.

However getting new glasses with Zeiss clearvision lenses for night driving as old lenses getting quite marked.

On this note, A very merry christmas to all,

Stay safe.

Macular degeneration - What happens next.. - Jamie3141

I seem to remember there being a response to a simliar thread a long time ago that there was no requirement to notify the DVLA until the condition becomes "so bad that one can't drive". That's completely false, as it contravenes S. 94 (RTA '88). Did you notify them? If you've passed all of the required vision tests (Snellen, FOV) then you will have no problems. It's also on the list of notifiable conditions, as published by the DVLA (https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving/find-condition-a-to-z)

I will copy the response I gave there.

The relevant legislation governing physical fitness to drive (RTA 1988) does not make any recommendation on when to inform the SoS, neither are there conditions for informing.

To quote directly:

94 Provision of information, etc. relating to disabilities.

(1)If at any time during the period for which his licence remains in force, a licence holder becomes aware—

(a)that he is suffering from a relevant or prospective disability which he has not previously disclosed to the Secretary of State, or
(b)that a relevant or prospective disability from which he has at any time suffered (and which has been previously so disclosed) has become more acute since the licence was granted,
  • the licence holder must forthwith notify the Secretary of State in writing of the nature and extent of his disability.
(2)The licence holder is not required to notify the Secretary of State under subsection (1) above if—
  • (a)the disability is one from which he has not previously suffered, and
  • (b)he has reasonable grounds for believing that the duration of the disability will not extend beyond the period of three months beginning with the date on which he first becomes aware that he suffers from it.

(3)A person who fails without reasonable excuse to notify the Secretary of State as required by subsection (1) above is guilty of an offence.

If you're involved in a bad accident and an insurance company go looking through your medical records your insurance will be void and you could be liable for fine (or worse,) prosecution.

Here, a relevant or prospective disability is one that could affect driving, or could affect driving in the future. Most medical doctors would agree that your disability falls under both categories.

“relevant disability” in relation to any person means—
  • (a) any prescribed disability, and
  • (b) any other disability likely to cause the driving of a vehicle by him in pursuance of a licence to be a source of danger to the public, and

“prospective disability” in relation to any person means any other disability which—
  • (a) at the time of the application for the grant of a licence or, as the case may be, the material time for the purposes of the provision in which the expression is used, is not of such a kind that it is a relevant disability, but
  • (b) by virtue of the intermittent or progressive nature of the disability or otherwise, may become a relevant disability in course of time.

Edited by Jamie3141 on 15/12/2021 at 18:21

I seem to remember there being a response to a simliar thread a long time ago that there was no requirement to notify the DVLA until the condition becomes "so bad that one can't drive". That's completely false, as it contravenes S. 94 (RTA '88). Did you notify them? If you've passed all of the required vision tests (Snellen, FOV) then you will have no problems. It's also on the list of notifiable conditions, as published by the DVLA (https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving/find-condition-a-to-z)

I (personally) am in a different place to that...

I had a conversation a long time back with my senior consultant who is responsible for my care.

I have 6 monthly eye tests at my own expense to be sure.

The upshot of that conversation was, that if he felt that I could not drive safely then he would be honest and tell me to stop driving and that I would obey.

The condition I have is not notifiable and I did check with DVLA.

One day in the future I may well be advised to stop, and STOP I will as I have no wish to be in front of a judge for whatever reason.