What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 MK1 (W reg) - Drivebelt Squealing and Smoke - kesher

MyFord Focus has been off the road since late Oct 19 after the MOT expired. I tried to start it after recharging the battery which I'm pretty sure needs replacing as it's 6 years old . The engine started immediately; but there was squealing from what seems to be the drivebelt followed by smoke. I tried another similar but larger battery (70 amh) which whilst not new it had been fully charged, although I've been told it only holds a charge for 3 days. The engine started immediately; but the squealing and smoke started again.

When I last drove the car in Oct 19 there was no squealing or smoke from the drivebelt area. The car is parked with it's rear wheels on wheel ramps and it was in this position when I started the engine so I'm not sure if starting the engine with the car in this position had any influence.

The drivebelt was changed 4 years ago and has done 31,000 miles. The total mileage on the clock is about 217,000.

Thanks

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 MK1 (W reg) - Drivebelt Squealing and Smoke - galileo

Seized waterpump or alternator? Or even seized aircon pulley?