What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - Vishy

I have Bridgestone "205/65r16 95t" tyres on rear of my 2003 Honda CRV. Needs new front tyres. I've been offered a pair of new tyres: Nexen "205/65r16 95h"

Does it matter that the speed rating is H and slightly higher at the front? Not an expert on this stuff. Just want to make sure it's safe to proceed with these tyres and won't cause any issues with insurance, safety, stuff like that

Edited by Vishy on 09/06/2020 at 12:39

Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - RT

T is rated up to 118mph, while H is rated to 130mph - for UK use, either is acceptable and no harm in two tyres of each.

Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - Vishy

Thanks for you help and advice folks. In the end I got a stonking deal on a pair of Bridgetstones with exact spec as the old ones, so became an easy decision to make. Otherwise based on the advice here I'd have been comfortable to go for the Nexens with a higher speed rating.

Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - mcb100
I think the sensible route for insurance related questions like this is to speak to your insurers. I don’t for a moment think it’ll be a problem with going to a higher rated tyre, but worth a call.
Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - edlithgow

Best tyres go on the back, so if there's significant wear on your Bridgstones they should be moved to the front.

I'm taking "best" to mean newest/most tread, which seems reasonable for the UK.

For Taiwan, where I'm at, "best" means newest/most tread in the wet season, but perhaps the other way around in the dry season, so I swap them seasonally if I can be bothered.

Speed rating won't matter.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/06/2020 at 15:07

Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - thunderbird

It does in the UK. Insurers will use any available get out of jail free card to avoid paying out, using tyres with a lower rating than the manufacturers specified minimum is one sure way to give them a way out.

Sure I once read that tyres on an axle should match for speed rating since it can affect the way a tyre works.

Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - RT

It does in the UK. Insurers will use any available get out of jail free card to avoid paying out, using tyres with a lower rating than the manufacturers specified minimum is one sure way to give them a way out.

Sure I once read that tyres on an axle should match for speed rating since it can affect the way a tyre works.

Manufacturers don't "specify" a minimum - they fit tyres of a certain rating, often based on subsidised cost by the tyre manufacturer - my car had "W" rated tyres as original equipment but I have no issue with fitting "V" rated replacements, still higher than the car's top speed.

Honda CRV 2003 - Tyre speed rating question - edlithgow

OP wasn't proposing either of the things you mention as potential insurance get outs.

The speed rating difference he was contemplating would not have mattered.