What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Cumberbatchfan

Hi all

Since you all helped me and I greatly appreciated your help , I'm hoping you can help my best friend. She already knows what she wants and has got the list down to just two cars and is struggling to pick between the two , test driving did not help either as she likes both.

She's between the Seat Areca and the Mazda CX-5. She currently drives a Seat Mii and is happy with her little seat but she's expecting her third child so needs something a little bigger. She like the areca as it ticks her boxes and she gets to stay with seat as she's been happy with there service so far but then she really likes the CX-5 as well as Mazda are more reliable than seat and it also ticks all her boxes but she read some reviews on auto trader and most if not all were very positive for the Areca but the CX-5 had a lot of bad reviews so she's unsure which to pick.

I wanted to ask what your thoughts are on these two cars?

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - KB.

In view of the uncertainty that dogged your own recent dilemma I think I would recommend that your friend signs up for the HJ forum and speaks for herself.

You'll agree the other topic was tricky in places .... and that was with just yourself corresponding with the rest of the assembled brethren. If a new topic is created in which you act as a third party, then I foresee difficulties.

CX5,s don't get lots of bad reviews - they're generally well respected.

By the way it's not an Areca, it's an Ateca.

Edited by KB. on 03/10/2018 at 20:47

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - badbusdriver

If she needs/wants auto, then the Mazda, as the Seat uses a dual clutch automated manual. If she wants manual, then whichever she prefers. BTW, I wouldn't have either as a diesel, but particularly not the Mazda.

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/10/2018 at 20:43

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - SLO76
The negative reviews on the Mazda will largely down to the problems with the Diesel engine. The petrols are pretty much vice free and if she wants an auto then the Mazda’s conventional lightweight torque converter transmission will be far more reliable in the long run than the twin clutch automated manual in the Seat.

If it’s a manual she wants then there’s no reason why she can’t have a Seat. The latest TSi petrol engines are excellent and so far they’ve been utterly reliable. It’s a well liked model and by all accounts a nice car to drive. I wouldn’t touch the DSG auto though, unless she’s buying new and getting rid of it before the three year warranty is up.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/10/2018 at 22:26

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - skidpan

We looked briefly at the Ateca and the CX5 before getting the Superb and found both disapointing, did not drive either although we would have tried the CX5 if a petrol had been available, it was a better package. Remember at the time we had the Leon that we had been more than satisfied with.

Potential problem with the Mazda was the old school poor engine. In the smaller, lighter Maxda 6 it was dull compared to the Leon, in the CX5 even though it had more power (same torque though) I would have been surprised if it had matched my expectations. Broker deals were good at the time. Local dealer was an idiot, assurred me that the diesel and petrol were the same engines and drove exactly the same. Left at that point.

The Seat was more expensive with limited deals, this has probably changed. But on opening the boot we walked away. No spare wheel and no well to fit one in. Place a spare in the boot and we would have had less space than the Leon. Some people are happy to run without a spare thus probably not an issue.

How about the updated Honda CRV, available with a turbo petrol now so should be worth a look.

Hi all

Thanks so much for all of your replys much appreciated, I spoke with her this morning and unfortunately KB she doesn't have time to join the forum as she's to busy looking after a 1yr old child plus busy going to appointments ( with her being pregnant and having lots to sort out) plus trying to keep on top of house and family chores and then looking after a dog on top.

After talking with her I think I have found why she is in a spot of bother she's taking to much notice of owner reviews on auto trader and carbuyer. As I've found out that funnily enough SkidPan is that she had a longer list of cars that suited her including the Honda CRV and Kia Sorrento , Hyundai Tucson but she's reading to much into the owner reviews as she read a lot of bad reviews on the CRV which she then worried so then decided to not bother but I think she should not worry so much about owner reviews , she even told me she read that the Tucson was bad in snow which worried her and that the Sorrento she worried when she read Kia's warranty is not as good as it seems which I told her that , that has to be wrong I can't see Kia giving 7yr warrentys if there of no use? ( Obviously I am a fan of Kia since owning the Niro) , she also had the Toyota RAV4 and Audi Q2 and Q3 on her list but after loads of bad reviews then got concerned.

I think she should not pay to much attention to owner reviews or should she?

I looked up the lexus RX on auto trader and carbuyer and was shocked there was a lot of not so great reviews but yet my boyfriend's RX has been great and his is 10yrs old and has not once had an issue and lexus are a reliable brand.

I just can't see how any of these cars are that bad as some of the owners are making out as Toyota, honda , Hyundai are all known for there reliability especially honda and Toyota.

Also she drives manual.

Edited by Cumberbatchfan on 04/10/2018 at 12:46

“I just can't see how any of these cars are that bad as some of the owners are making out as Toyota, honda , Hyundai are all known for there reliability especially honda and Toyota.”

Folks are quick to complain and slow to compliment. I’ve sold and owned plenty of Toyota’s, Honda’s, Kia’s and Hyundai’s over the years and they rarely go wrong. I had a CRV for 4yrs and although it suffered clutch issues it was replaced under warranty and the car was otherwise a very practical and outstandingly economical big motor. All these brands have good warranties with no issues as long as they’re serviced with the appropriate main dealer.

Thing about any VAG group product, be it Seat, Skoda, Audi or VW is that under the skin they are all pretty much the same. Any mechanical unreliablity with the Audi is going to affect the rest too. Having said that, the only issues you may be likely to encounter would be if going auto in which case you will have the DSG gearbox. Diesels can also be trouble, depending on the type of journeys your friend is likely to do. If sticking to the 1.4tsi engine and manual gearbox, it should be fine, regardless of which badge is on the front.

Thanks to both it of you.

She will be driving manual and she does a fair a pint of miles in a week not as much as me but a fair amount as she lives in a very remote village and she has to drive about 20mins to the local town for shopping and taking the older kids to school.

All I really would like from everyone know is to just give there thoughts on the cars that were on her list now we have established she should not pay to much attention to owner reviews.

Her list : Seat Ateca, Mazda CX-5, Audi Q2 , Honda CRV , Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tucson ,Kia Sorrento.

I would really be greatful if you could maybe say which ones you would avoid and if anyone has owned either of these cars I think it would be great if you can tell your story of ownership.

I'm afraid i can't really help you there, just what i have read through altogether far too much time spent reading about cars both in magazines and on t'internet!.

But i'm pretty sure our fearless leader Avant runs a Q2, so i'm sure he'll be able to help with that one. And bearing in mind what i mentioned earlier, how the Q2 drives will be reflected fairly closely (wheel/tyre size can make a difference to the ride and handling) in how the Seat Ateca drives. The interior of the Audi will be finished to a higher standard, but you pay extra for that, so depends on priorities.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/10/2018 at 14:28

Bought new or nearly new from an approved main dealer of them will almost certainly provide reliable service. The Audi will be the most sporting and fun to drive, the bigger CRV and even larger Kia will make the best big family cars with soft suspension and loads of room, id certainly look at the new 1.5 petrol turbo if funds allow. While the RAV4 and Hyundai will be slightly smaller but come with 5yrs warranty for peace of mind. The CX5 is a great compromise as it has decent space yet is entertains to drive. The newer facelifted examples are better to look at inside and out and again it should be faultless if she sticks to the petrol.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/10/2018 at 22:11

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Engineer Andy

From what the OP is saying (100-150 miles a [presumably week] day), then that's diesel terrority (25k miles +), even when considering the still very economical VAG TSi petrol engines. If that's the case, I would think twice about the Mazda in diesel form - it stands a much better chance in being ok with a larger mileage, though it depends upon whether much of that is low speed urban work or on faster flowing roads for longer distances. It might be ok if it was.

I suppose it does depend upon how much money the OP's friend has available for fuel and how long they are likley to keep the car. I suspect the crossover point for affordability (assuming decent reliability - not guaranteed for the diesel) may be a lot lower than someone who'd only be doing 10k miles pa.

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Khalid Cheema

Very good analysis, especially the last three lines.

"The CX5 is a great compromise as it has decent space yet is entertains to drive. The newer facelifted examples are better to look at inside and out and again it should be faultless if she sticks to the petrol "

At present i am thinking about buying a used SUV ,either CX 5 or BMW X3,

having said that RELIABILITY is quite important to me, most of my drive would be in the town and my annual mileage is going to be around 3000 to 4000 miles.

Any advice/ comments

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Avant

I do indeed have a Q2 and I'm delghted with it - but unless I've missed it, I can't see what your friend's budget is, or whether she's buying new or used. Also what's her annual mileage?

The older the car, the wiser it is to buy Japanese or Korean. But if she's buying new or nearly-new, a VW Group car will be more interesting to drive.

She is buying new or nearly new and her budget is 40k for a new car ( she earns over 90k a year , she's a physiotherapy consultant and is on maternity leave) but she does like to keep her cars for many years and is number one for her that it's a car she can keep for the next 6-7yrs without much problems. Mileage is about 100-150 a day but depends on what she's doing sometimes it can be more that they drive from Chester to Devon once a year which is about a 6-8hr drive to get there. She currently has two children a 1yr old and a 5yr old and is expecting her third child and she has a very large dog a Bernese mountain dog ( if you have never heard of one you might want to check them out on YouTube so you get an idea of how bif they are)

I think since she wants to keep the car for a long time that she should go for either a Toyota, honda or Kia or Hyundai as all are very reliable.

Great. As she wants a manual, I wouldn't discount VW group cars: for a few hundred pounds you can extend the warranty for a further two years. It looks like about 20-25,000 miles a year, so for all the Press hype a modern diesel is still a good idea.

I also think she needs to look for an SUV with seven seats. When the baby arrives, all three children will be in seats that take up a lot of space: three abreast even in a Skoda Superb is a struggle.

I'd suggest she gets long test-drives in:

Skoda Kodiaq

VW Tiguan

Peugeot 5008

Ford S-Max

Kia Sorento

Volvo XC 90 (nearly-new)

Steer her well-clear of any hankering after something made by Land Rover; these aren't even reliable when new, never mind 6-7 years old. The Audi Q7 and BMW X5 are good, but huge and way over budget.

In most 7-seaters you can have one seat up, one down, so there's room for the dog too (does she really get two kids + huge dog into a SEAT Mii?).

Edited by Avant on 04/10/2018 at 16:26

Are skoda's reliable?

The two kids only go in her car and her husband drives a Audi TT which can't fit the dog either and when she takes the dog to the vet ect she makes sure it's when either her husband can look after the kids or when the kids are at school\nursery.

The Bernese can't even fit in the back of her car so he sits in the rear seats ( more like he lies down) which is not safe at all so a bigger car is definitely needed but for her its more that her five year old gets very upset when they go on holiday as the dog never comes with them as he can't fit in the car with the kids in too so he stays with a family member which really upsets her son ( the five year old) so a bigger car mean her son will be happier as it means his best friend ( there Bernese) can come too.

I could be wrong but I think the Honda CRV comes with 7 seats?

The new CR-V is available as a 7 seater, that would be what Skidpan was talking about earlier, with the turbo petrol.

Regarding your previous post, i would direct you to my post of 12.55. I thought i was clear enough then, but just to reiterate, all VAG group cars share the same engines, gearboxes, suspension, floorpans, etc, etc. If you have no reason to question the reliablity of an Audi, the same applies to any models from Skoda, not to mention Seat and VW, using the same engine.

If you strip away the fancy bodywork of the TT belonging to your friend's husband, you will find the same mechanical parts as is under the skin of all these,

Audi A3

Audi Q3

VW Golf

VW Golf SV

VW Tiguan

VW Touran

Skoda Octavia

Skoda Karoq

Seat Leon

Seat Ateca.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/10/2018 at 17:34

Thanks, I asked as I don't know how reliable Audi are so don't know about Skoda either.

I only know of Honda .Toyota , lexus, Kia and Hyundai as being reliable.

Thanks, I asked as I don't know how reliable Audi are so don't know about Skoda either.

I only know of Honda .Toyota , lexus, Kia and Hyundai as being reliable.

We have been running at least one VAG car in the house since 2013 and not had a single warranty issue.

From 1986 to 2003 we had at least one VAG car in the house and despite those cars being upto 7 years old in 2 cases and with over 100,000 miles in one case we had very few issues. Think it would be a rear brake caliper, a full exhaust, a rear box and a diff oil seal and a battery. Plenty of brake pads and tyres of course but whats new there.

If you look after a car it will look after you. Most of the people who moan about reliability either don't service their cars or buy cars that have been neglected before they buy them.

Hopefully your friend will not be doing that.

Yes my friend will be looking after her car very well , she will be treating it like the Mii which means service every year, MOT, tyres change when needed ect.. her husband has a Audi TT which from reading online are suppose to be unreliable but he's had no issues at all and his TT is 6yrs old he looks after it very well his TT can even drive well in the snow thanks to its all wheel drive and good snow tyres. So just goes to show look after your car well and drive sensiblely and yoully be fine even if it's an Audi TT , either that or her husband is just lucky.

She's been doing a lot of reading of all the cars on her list and has written a list of what she needs and what she will be using the car for. And the cars after doing lots of research by reading she has shortlisted her list down to these cars ,

1) Toyota RAV4 ( she's knows it's not seven seats but it ticks most of her boxes)

2) Kia Sorrento ( this is her favourite from looks and from reading , she was also really impressed with how the Kia Sorrento handled snow , I thought this was a litfli weird decideing on a car by how well it does in snow but she said it's important to her as she lives in an isolated small village and the nearest town is 30 mins away so being able to go grocery shopping , getting to work , kids to school ect when it's snowy is important to her as she said everytime we get snow we get it really bad with us being a very small isolated village so there roads never get cleared , the roads that lead out of the village)

3) Honda CRV

4) Skoda Kodiaq ( the Skoda also really impress's her in the snow, she's been watching loads of videos on YouTube)

She also watched the review videos on carwow and said the Skoda and Sorrento did really well and she's sure he said just go ahead and buy the Skoda it's that good.

I know this is not really anything to do with us on the forum, but the thought of a dog that size and weight (up to 50kg for a male i believe?) being loose in a car along with children, alarms me greatly. In the event of an accident the dog really could kill them. It should ideally be in a purpose built cage (properly secured) in the boot, or at the very least, in a proper dog guard, made for that vehicle (i.e, not one of those rubbish universal ones with telescopic legs).

And the cars after doing lots of research by reading she has shortlisted her list down to these cars ,

Of the cars listed the Toyota, Honda and Skoda are available as petrols or hybrids thus would be suitable for short trips and urban use.

The Kia is only available as a diesel thus should be discounted if the use is mostly in town or the annual mileage small.

I appreciate you mention the school run but seriously think before buying a modern diesel when petrols are available that are vey nearly as economical without the drawbacks.

Edited by skidpan on 04/10/2018 at 19:16

Badbusdriver- yes they can go up to 50kg , her Bernese is 48kg ( I think) , it's just in the Mii , her current car that he is not in a crate as she can't fit him in the boot area let alone the crate , one of the things at the top of her list is fits the dog in the boot so I think either of these would be big enough to fit him in and he will be in a crate , since getting him it's the only thing she hated about the Mii but it's not the miis fault as she has only owned him a year.

Fantastic dog though , has an amazing temperament is a lot like a golden retriever apparently in temperament. If only I could tempt my boyfriend I'd have one in a heart beat.lol

Skidpan- do you think Kia will ever make a hybrid version of the Sorrento or even a petrol version? As I myself am thinking of getting one several years from now when I'm looking to replace my Niro ( hopefully that's years from now as I love my little Niro) but I do find the Sorrento very beautiful.

Edited by Cumberbatchfan on 04/10/2018 at 19:33

Skidpan- do you think Kia will ever make a hybrid version of the Sorrento or even a petrol version? As I myself am thinking of getting one several years from now when I'm looking to replace my Niro ( hopefully that's years from now as I love my little Niro) but I do find the Sorrento very beautiful.

Sorry but crystal ball has run out of battery. They probably make a petrol now for some markets but don't sell it in the UK.

Don't you think that's daft though as they would probably sell more if if they sold a petrol version here.

Sorry, I forgot that the new Honda CR-V can seat seven, so that's quite rightly on her list. If she's doing 100-150 miles a day she isn't going to have the filter problem that makes modern diesels unsuitable for short runs.

That said, a Skoda Kodiaq's petrol engine is as economical as many diesels, so she can keep an open mind on petrol or diesel until she's tried them. I agree with Skidpan - I don't think a Skoda with manual gearbox is going to be any less reliable than the other possibilities, given that she intends to follow the servicing schedule of whatever she buys.

What's important, if she's going to do that sort of mileage, is that the chosen car fits her family, suits her style of driving and is comfortable. Those three priorities are equally important for her.

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Nomag

She has a big budget, is fuel economy at all important to her given the sort of mileage she's going to do?

My wife's/our family car is a 15 plate Sorrento KX3 2.2 diesel TC Auto. It's done over 51k miles now (purchased at 6 months old and 1800 miles).

Ours does about 33-34mpg day to day- I'm not sure I could stomach it on 100-150 miles a day (which surely equates to at least 30k miles a year....ours does about 17k-18k a year).

Obviously the manual will be a little more economical than the auto.

I'm sure a CRV will be a lot more economical. We looked at one when choosing the Kia, but I was nervous about the twin turbo 1.6 diesel, decided to play it safe with a bigger capacity 2.2. in the KIa. The price nearly new in 2015 was about the same. We got the benefit of 7 seats too.

The 7 year warranty on the KIa might be reassuring, but I think its only 100k miles- at your friend's sort of mileage, the warranty would be up after 3 and a bit years or so. By 6 or 7 years of ownership she'd have run up c. 200k miles, there's going to be big maintenance costs..DPF etc. etc. A 5 year unlimited mileage warranty might suit her better- Hyundai, Ssangyong?

Like your friend we live rurally and like the security of 4wd and all season tyres, but TBH, 99% of the year you don't need it. Winter tyres on a 2wd do very well. And in the beast from the East last year, the only thing that got me out of the house was my little Kubota tractor and loader.....

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - FiestaOwner

The boot lip on and SUV tends to be quite high. Is this huge dog going to manage to jump in?

An estate car or an MPV (ie something along the lines of a Citroen Berlingo) will have a lower boot lip.

Fuel economy is not important to her as she not only has a big budget to buy the car but she has a big monthly budget too so how much she spends on petrol is not important to her.

The sorrento is off her list now she knows it only comes in diesel as she will only be interested in petrol or hybrid.

So it's between the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 and Skoda Kodiaq.

Maintenance costs are important though she doesn't want to be going to the dealer a lot to get things fixed , her husband thinks the Skoda would be the cheapest to maintain?

Regarding the dog question, the family member who looks after him when they go on holiday owns an SUV and he gets in by a ramp that desighde to help make it easier to get in and he easily walks up the ramp.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everueve who has helped her , she's going to be test driving the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 and Skoda Kodiaq tomorrow.

Looked down the thread and I am not quite sure she is giving you all the facts.

Initially you said she had to drive 20 minutes to the shops and to take the kids to school.

Then you said she drives 100 to 150 miles a day.

The 2 are not really the same. The first is the mumsy shopping and kids riun, the next is the driving a rep does.

From personal experience doing 35 miles each way to work and back was pretty tiring. In the late 80's it took 45 minutes on a good day, 60 minutes on an average day and well over the hour on a bad day. Since then traffic has got much worse and with cameras ypu cannot risk speeding as much. Doing 150 miles a day she would be in the car at least 4 hours, thats 20 hours a week. then she has to look after the kids etc and a new baby. Are your sure you have the facts correct.

Over 6 years doing 100 miles 5 days a week the car would do 156,000 miles. During that time she would almost certainly have issues whatever she bought.

she's going to be test driving the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 and Skoda Kodiaq tomorrow.

To get a good feel for the car you need a test drive of at least a couple of hours especially when you intend to keep the car a long period and do huge mileage. 3 tests in a day will just confuse her.

Does she do that type of mileage in the Mii or is her usgae/job changing?

Hi

Yes that's all correct , the 120-150 miles a day includes taking the kids to school, nursery and then her going to work and then driving back after work to pick the kids up and then drive home like I said her kids go two school in the nearest town which is about 20-30 miles away then she works a long way from that nearest town.

She's not doing 150 miles at the moment as she's on maternity leave but when she does go back to work she will be doing 150 miles in a day. She does double what I do , I only do about 60-70 miles a day.

An I ask a question, you know how Kia's 7yr warrenty is 7yrs or 100k miles and Hyundai is 5yrs unlimited mileage, I wanted to ask is there a set mileage on Skoda, Toyota and Honda , I know they offer 3yr warranty but is there a mileage limit like Kia?

Skoda - 3 years, 60,000 miles, but you can pay a few hundred pounds to extend it by 2 years

Toyota - 5 years, 100,000 miles

Honda - 3 years, 90,000 miles - this too can be extended

So this goes in favour of Toyota, but could she get three child seats in the back of a RAV-4?

Edited by Avant on 05/10/2018 at 18:39

Skoda - 3 years, 60,000 miles, but you can pay a few hundred pounds to extend it by 2 years

If you extend the Skoda warranty to 5 years the mileage limit increases to 100,000.

But if Skoda operate like Seat did (both VAG thus surely must) you only get the original T & C's extended to 5 years if you buy the warranty before the car is registered. Extend the warranty after registration and its very different product, some items are excluded and there is an excess to pay on every claim, think it was £200 on the Seat warranty.

Many are caught out by this and I expect dealers do not bring the extended warranty to customers attention before registration because they hope to sell them their own useless and expensive warranty later.

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Manatee

But if Skoda operate like Seat did (both VAG thus surely must) you only get the original T & C's extended to 5 years if you buy the warranty before the car is registered. Extend the warranty after registration and its very different product, some items are excluded and there is an excess to pay on every claim, think it was £200 on the Seat warranty.

Many are caught out by this and I expect dealers do not bring the extended warranty to customers attention before registration because they hope to sell them their own useless and expensive warranty later.

This was the case when we bought our pre-reg Roomster - they refused to sell me the warranty extension. In fact they also refused initially to sell me a service plan, but relented on that when I explained their terms and conditions to them...

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - masiv

Has your friend looked at the Lexus RX. It's available in 5 or 7 seats. You could get one with next to no miles on for £40k.

This was the case when we bought our pre-reg Roomster - they refused to sell me the warranty extension. In fact they also refused initially to sell me a service plan, but relented on that when I explained their terms and conditions to them...

The Skoda service plan is available on new cars up to one year old (and presumably 10,000 miles) and covers the first 2 services. But its only available for car set on fixed servicing, they do not do a plan for cars on variable servicing.

But what is not clear is the plan has to bought from the sales team, go to the service desk and they will claim to know nothing and try and sell you their own far more expensive plan which is worthless if the garage goes bust. Another reason a garage plan is also risky is simple, what if they are rubbish when they do the first service. You have paid up front for another 2 but you cannot take it anywhere other than the dealer providing the plan. The Skoda plan can be used at any dealer.

Seat Areca Vs Mazda CX-5 - Khalid Cheema

which one did she buy in the end?