What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio S 1.4l 8v - Wreg Clio turns over but won't start. - Crook6468

I recently became the increasingly annoyed owner of this Wreg Clio and can't for the life of me get the thing to fire up! Everything works as it should but there is no spark and no life from the injectors. I tested each injector in turn and they all work and there is good fuel pressure, I changed the crank sensor but no change. I even tried a different ecu/bcu/key kit and it was no different. Annoyingly the wiring on it doesn't match anything in the Haynes manual so before I begin the tiresome task of checking ALL the engine wiring can anybody help with this problem? Any ideas of things to check or test that might save a lot of my time would be of great help, I think the car is to good to scrap and wanted it for my son in a year when he hopefully starts driving. Can any other sensors cause this issue? I know the injectors and coil electrics are linked but I can't keep buying parts blindly hoping for a miracle!!!

Renault Clio S 1.4l 8v - Wreg Clio turns over but won't start. - phillip b

Do you have cam signal? Is it separate coil packs on ignition? I can give you a wireing diagram later but at college at the min doing nvq lvl 4 in advanced engine management diagnostics

Hi, I've tested the crank sensor while rotating the engine and I believe it to be working on, it's an E7J 1.4 8V engine with a single coil pack, the coil pack has 4 pins but the connection from the loom has 3 wires going into it. The wires for the crank sensor and injectors check out back to the ecu connector but I've not done the coil pack ones yet. If you can get me the correct wiring diagram that would be a great help as like I said it doesn't match any of the Haynes diagrams.

Renault Clio S 1.4l 8v - Wreg Clio turns over but won't start. - hardway

Your on the right track,

Crank signal governs both spark and injectors.

So if it were here now I'd test for Voltage,

At the coil packs 12V and more important check for 5V supply on one of the 5V sensors.

The MAF would probably be easiest.

No 5V supply means the ECU is likely to not be powered up.

If so it's check the power and grounds to the ECU.

Oh and don't forget to check the impact intereupt switch.

Renault Clio S 1.4l 8v - Wreg Clio turns over but won't start. - elekie&a/c doctor

I would check the 12 volt power supply to the coil when engine cranking.If there is fuel pressure,then i would think the crank/rpm signal circiut is ok.

Got 12v to the coil pack but couldn't find any pulse for sparking.

Cheers, I'll check again but when I first got it I think there was no power at all at the coil. I thought it was immobiliser related but everything does as it should with both ecu kits, would one failed sensor cause a total non start? I'm used to slightly older cars and I would have expected it just to run like a bag of s#%t? I'm also new to French cars!!!!

There are 2 different engines for that year E7J754 and the E7J756/757 can you tell me the colour wires going to the coil pack

And there's a E7J780 TOO

It's a bit dark as I just put the bins out but the best I can do is whiteish, seems beige and the middle one is kind of pink?

Renault Clio S 1.4l 8v - Wreg Clio turns over but won't start. - elekie&a/c doctor
The only sensor that stops these starting is the crank /rpm speed sensor.I would not be to bothered about the colours of the wires at this point.What is on the wiring diagram is usually completely different to what is on the car.It,s French innit.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 07/06/2016 at 23:54

But he did say in the first post he replaced the crank sensor so the next step will be to check the wiring

The op said he had fuel pressure.For the fuel pump relay to work,the ecu needs to see an engine speed signal......from the crank sensor.

The fuel pump kicks in and stops on the relay, normal priming procedure. Plenty of pressure too at least begin to start up.

If you have replaced the crank sensor you need to check the integrity of the wiring do you have a scan tool?

The op said he had fuel pressure.For the fuel pump relay to work,the ecu needs to see an engine speed signal......from the crank sensor.

I don't see this as being true. On newer cars yes this is the case due to if there is an accident and the fuel line is severed the fuel pump will stop if it does not see the crank signal so it's not spraying fuel everywhere but on older cars especially this age the fuel pump usually primes with just the ignition on this prime of pressure on its own will be enough to to start the car then it will die a bit like an immobiliser fault but on this age car there should be no problem with that. If there is no spark and no injection pulse then it is very likely to be crank sensor related and if the sensor has been replaced the integrity of the wiring should be checked for the crank sensor.

Crank signal will generate an RPM reading on the rev counter,

But I state again without a scan tool you need to find if the ECU is powered up and the simplest/quickest way to do this is test for the 5V reference on the MAF or any other 5V sensor.

No 5V means ECU is NOT powered up!

I agree be sure to check reference voltage

I've just removed cleaned up and refitted the engine earth for the hell of it, right I definitely have a 5v supply to the MAP sensor so that's good yeah?

Thanks, I'll try and check later. The only scan tools I have are obd2 type and no good for this car. The connector doesn't even fit so I can't even try different software on my pc. Any idea where I could find the pin diagram for the Siemens Sirius 32 ecu free? That would speed things up a bit?

Still need to know the wire colours before I can give you the wiring diagram

Right then:

coil; beige,pink,beige

Injectors; #1 purple/grey #2 purple/grey #3 purple/beige #4 purple/grey

Crank sensor; white/orange

MAP sensor; green/white/beige

Water temp sensor; grey/white/beige

ECU pin; #1pink #15green #16white #30pink

Hope this is enough?

Looks like I'm going to be stripping wire insulation for the foreseeable future!!

Have you checked ignition power to coil under cranking?If there is ,then we can move on to the next stage.

I'm sure I had no power last time but I'll pop out and check again once the kids are in bed and report back, my money is on wiring fault at the moment, Christ things were so much easier when you tried a screwdriver and failing that out came the old trusty hammer!!

When I turn the engine over should I expect to see any movement from the rpm needle or will it stay totally still until it fires up? I currently get no movement whatsoever while turning over.

Not on every car my passat and bmw don't move at all when cranking just got home and looking for your wiring diagram now for you

Well autodata doesn't have it just trying tolerance data

Wires from crank sensor to ecu are good, trigger wires from coil pack to ecu are good, got 12v constant to coil pack but no trigger pulse, no signal to injectors either

Ok,next step is to test power supply (12 volt) to injectors,when cranking.

Agreed.

CAS signal is THE governing signal.

Ideal would be to scan the ECU with an scope but if you dont have one.

Use a multi meter set to AC milli volts and probe terminals 33 and 34 at the ECU and crank it.

Check for a AC voltage,

The voltage reading isn't all that important so much as an actual AC signal reaching the ECU.

Oh and stupid question here,

Will it bump start?

Faulty starters can generate electrical interfearance that screws up CAS signals.

Renault Clio S 1.4l 8v - Wreg Clio turns over but won't start. - Railroad.
I have a wiring diagram that should help you. Email me at railroad153@hotmail.co.uk if you'd like it and I'll return it to you.

Thanks,. I've not disappeared off the face of the earth but been on holiday and the weather has been crap when I've been free. The wires from the ignition relay in engine compartment are good but not had chance to check more as yet. I'll be back soon with news as soon as I can.

Right then, let me go over this, remote central locking works, turn key No 2 and dash lights come on and fuel pump primes, immobiliser light goes out after a few seconds, turn key to crank engine, turns over fine but won't start!!

New crank sensor fitted, wires to ecu good and get a signal when cranking!

Wires to all injectors from ecu good but no power, injector test on each good!

Power to coil pack but no trigger voltage while cranking, all wires to ecu good!

All 4 +ve supplies to ecu good!

Engine compartment control relay wires and power good!

Tried different ecu, key (old blade) chip detector and control unit, no difference!!

Why won't the b***** thing start?!!!!?!!

What else can it be?

The crank sensor pins are 24 and 54 on this car and it's working.

When testing power to the coil ,are you using a meter or a test light.?Also when cranking,is there a good power supply to one terminal at each injector.?

I don't have a light, I'm just looking for voltage going to the coil pack, I've checked the wires and they're good just power to one pin and nothing too either control pin. The injectors work with independent supply and fuel blasts out of each but again no voltage while cranking. This is why I thought it was the immobiliser but I've ruled that out. Everything appears to check out but still no spark and no injector action. I'm at a loss with this and unlike one of my other cars I can't force limp mode to at least get it to fire. I read somewhere that a faulty temp sensor could be a potential cause? Seems unlikely to me but I've ordered one. I've got a year till my son is 17 so I got time to try anything?

Temp sensor it won't be.I would be checking power supply with a light.Use a 21watt indicator bulb.This will prove if the power supply has enough guts.A flakey power wire will show 12 volts ,good or bad.Just a thought,have you tried swapping the wires at the crank sensor plug.These will not start if the wire polarity is wrong.

Do you have battery V on terminal "A" on the o2 sensor?