What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - BigMick

This is my first time on any forum so please be gentle. I bought a new VW Tiguan in July 2015 on PCP, after only owning the car for 1 week I noticed when I went ro wash it the drivers door was out of line, the car went into VW's Body Shop for 3 days & I was told this is quite a common fault!!!!. Then after 2000 miles a Adblue alarm came on my dash, I'd never heard of Adblue before so I looked it up, back to the dealer for a top up, I was a bit annoyed the salesman never mentioned this when I bought the car.

Now for my main gripe, at the beginning of December I heard a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car, the dealer took the car for a day & confirmed the knock but would need it for 3 days to investigate it, so the car was booked in on Monday the 4th of January, I had to call the dealer on the Friday as no one had been in touch to say how things were going, they said they would call me back, which the didn't so on the Saturday I went to the dealer in person to ask about my car, I was told it had to go into the body shop because they couldnt locate the source of the knock & was told they would call me on the Monday with an update, they never called, I waited until the Thursday then phoned the dealer who said they would chase up the body shop & call me back, they never did, so I called the body shop & they said an assessor was looking at the car & they would call me back, they never did either. So a little annoyed at this stage I emailed VW with the story so far & received a call on Saturday the 16th of Jan off a Customer Complaints Manager who apologised & would be dealing with my issue, he said he would chase up the dealer & call me back Monday ..... you guessed it, no call back.

My question is where do I stand on giving the car back, to me it's not the new car I bought, it's more than likely in pieces in the body shop tring to find the knock, I have lost all faith in VW & the car itself.

Thanks for listening, Mike

Edited by BigMick on 18/01/2016 at 22:14

VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - RobJP

You would struggle, horribly, to reject the car.

I would suggest you find the contact details for VW GB, and write / email them again, expressing your displeasure, and requesting somebody senior contacts you. Copy your email to the dealership too (dealer principal), and inform them that you are doing this lot.

If possible, send the email to someone senior at VW GB and VW Germany too. There are ways of finding senior people's direct email addresses (google is your friend)

VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - concrete

Hello Big Mick, what a carry on. No wonder you are disappointed with your new car. Obvious build quality issues combined with a poor main dealer and non existant customer service would frustrate anyone. However I also feel that you have little chance of rejecting the car. Unless it is unsafe or undrivable I believe you have to give the dealer a chance to effect repairs. It seems you are going to have to be a royal pain in the proverbial and keep on at them insisting on your rights. They are only allowed 'reasonable time' to satisfy your complaint. Regarding your rights, they may have changed with the enactement of the new consumer legislation which supercedes the old Sale of Goods and Services Act. Maybe your friendly family solicitor could help or the Citizens Advice Bureau. Or look online at the relevant parts of the new act. RobJP is correct when he states that it would be wise to copy in someone in authority at VAG Group in the UK and Germany. I am sure they have enough on there plate with other issues at present and may be willing to resolve your complaint to get it out of the way. Sorry for your problems. Keep us informed and of any result. It may be your experience can help someone else in future.

Cheers Concrete

VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - slkfanboy

For one compaining to VW about the dealer is no the correct route. It's nothing to do with them at all. Would you complain the Bosch if John Lewis failed to resolve fixing you your washing machine?

Sadly you need to keep chasing them and if the car is not fixed you could take action but this would require an independant report to identify the issue and to be used in court.

VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - alan1302

For one compaining to VW about the dealer is no the correct route. It's nothing to do with them at all. Would you complain the Bosch if John Lewis failed to resolve fixing you your washing machine?

I would if I wasn't getting anywhere with John Lewis

VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - Rats

It's not a Hampshire based VW dealership by any chance is it?

VW Tiguan - Taking on VW - concrete

Sadly you need to keep chasing them and if the car is not fixed you could take action but this would require an independant report to identify the issue and to be used in court.

If you read the post carefully you will realise I advocated pressing the dealer to uphold the OP's rights. After such poor service so far I think it only reasonable to copy VAG on the situation. Which part of "copy VAG in" are you struggling with?

I am sure that on this forum we are well aware that when a vehicle is purchased from a dealer then the contract is between the buyer and the dealer. To reiterate the point, the poor service from the dealer needs to brought to the attention of VAG. What possible harm can it do? They are in a position to apply pressure to the dealer if they think their reputation is being damaged by his actions. Common sense I would have thought.

Concrete