What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Polo 1.4 TDi - Gearbox codes confusion - trukker

Hi,

My 2006 (56) Polo S 1.4 TDi is in need of a new gearbox. The engine is BNM and the gearbox is HCS, according to the sticker in the service book.

Couldn't afford the ideal situation of having my own gearbox rebuilt so found a secondhand one at a distant breakers (no names, no pack drill . . . ) They claimed to have an HCS box available, so I paid for it and awaited delivery.

When it arrived, I checked to see the code they had sent - looking for HCS somewhere. I understand that the gearbox should also have an O2T code on it, but the one they sent is numbered O2J 301 103H, with an additional mark SN1 cast into it.

I put those characters into Google and am led to believe that the gearbox was fitted to VW Golfs and Boras from 1999 - 2005, in particular the 2 litre petrol models.

So my question is: should it actually say 'HCS' on the gearbox somewhere or is there a code within a code? If so, is the gearbox they sent the correct one?

Anybody know. please?