What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Mk II - Unable to open bonnet on '09 Focus - CassandraC

Hi all,

Was in the process of replacing one of the headlights on my Focus and took the existing bulb out to take to Halfords to get a replacement.

Now I can't get the bonnet open at all. Turning the key doesn't release the bonnet and appears to do nothing.

When I start the car and turn on the headlights, neither of the main headlights come on so I'm guessing that by taking out one of the bulbs the circuit is broken, but surely the bonnet release lock isn't on the same circuit as the headlights? If it is does anyone have any suggestions how to get the bonnet open to put in the bulb to hopefully reconnect everything?

Thanks alot,

Larry.

Ford Focus Mk II - Unable to open bonnet on '09 Focus - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly,the bonnet release is totally mechanical and is not connected to any headlight electrical system.One failed bulb will not cause the other to not work.Is it possible something has got trapped in the bonnet latch while you were removing the bulb?Try holding the front of the bonnet down with the palm of your hand while carefully turning the key.Don't forget the bonnet release is dual action .Turn left first and then to the right.
Ford Focus Mk II - Unable to open bonnet on '09 Focus - CassandraC

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was mechanical, but couldn't explain why removing a bulb would cause a problem. I've just had another try pressing down and still nothing. I've opened the bonnet enough times to realise that's something isn't right with it.

Any other suggestions?

Ford Focus Mk II - Unable to open bonnet on '09 Focus - elekie&a/c doctor
It is possible the release cable has come adrift or there is a plastic coupling joint that can break.Take it to a garage ,they should be able to open it with a long screwdriver.