What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Honda cr-v diesel 2005 vibration at 60mph - absln

Hi,

This is driving me crazy. Have a vibration under acceleration/load at around 60mph on the motorway, and goes away about 65-70mph.

I have already had the following checked

- propshaft
- tyres
- cv joints

This problem started occurring a few months after the diesel pump was replaced (with a used unit), but I can't see how that work would introduce a vibration like this.

What else can i check for? cheers

Honda CR-V - Honda cr-v diesel 2005 vibration at 60mph - Peter.N.

Does it do it at the same revs in lower gears? If not 10-1 its the tyres, not necessaraly out of balance but possibly out of round due to ply seperation.

Honda CR-V - Honda cr-v diesel 2005 vibration at 60mph - absln

No, it doesn't seem to do it at low revs at all and is quite smooth. I suspected tyres when they checked that the propshaft was ok and had them changed but that didn't really fix anything.

Interestingly, at around 60mph when it is shaking, if you take your foot off the acclerator pedal the shaking stops. Put it back on and it starts shaking again.

Cheers

Honda CR-V - Honda cr-v diesel 2005 vibration at 60mph - focussed

No, it doesn't seem to do it at low revs at all and is quite smooth. I suspected tyres when they checked that the propshaft was ok and had them changed but that didn't really fix anything.

Interestingly, at around 60mph when it is shaking, if you take your foot off the acclerator pedal the shaking stops. Put it back on and it starts shaking again.

Cheers

Probably not a vibration caused by a chassis problem then. Sounds like an engine problem, possibly injectors fouled/damaged by debris from the failure of the previous injection pump?

Honda CR-V - Honda cr-v diesel 2005 vibration at 60mph - Peter.N.

You can check to see if the vibration is coming from the engine by knocking it out of gear when its doing it, if it's still there it isn't. If it was the engine I would expect the problem would be engine revs based not road speed. You metioned a prop shaft, haven't had one of those for many a year but they can be a source of vibration if they are out of balance.

Honda CR-V - Honda cr-v diesel 2005 vibration at 60mph - Nickdm

I have experienced exactly the same symptoms in my 2005 Audi A4 cabrio automatic. Have never been able to track down the source of the problem. Two new front tyres a few months ago have alleviated the problem, but it is still there faintly. Don't think the problem is engine-related. HTH.