What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
51 plate Ford Fiesta Zetec. - Replacing both rear brake pipe sections. - jimsayshi

Replacing both rear brakes pipes sections from the fuel tank back to the rear wheels.

The runaround failed it's MOT due to both rear brake pipes needing replacing due to corrosion - 'in the Garages opinion'. To me, one looks lightly pitted, the other more so. Maybe one needs doing but I'm not convince both do, anyway that's irrelevant as they've failed it and it'll be on system now.

Have got them to agree to £80 all in - fitted.

But I can get both sections made up elsewhere for £10 all in for the pair, and with new union nuts.

The drivers side looks easy enough. All that needs doing is undoing the heat shielding around the exhaust. Looks like it's just a matter of dropping in the new pre-shaped pipe, as there's nothing in the way.

But it's the rear passenger side that looks like trouble.

It runs behind the fuel tank - between it bolting to the chassis frame and the underfloor of the car. Also it runs behind the fuel filter - which isn't a big deal really, but a pain to have to remove again. There's also a second pipe of similar diameter that runs along side it until the rear of the fuel tank and it looks like it might add a few fingers and thumbs to the job, if you know what I mean. Around the fuel tank it looks pretty congested

Does anyone know if this rear side of the brake pipe can be dropped in pre-shaped, or does it need shaping in situ? Also, does the fuel tank need removing?

51 plate Ford Fiesta Zetec. - Replacing both rear brake pipe sections. - Cyd

You'll need more than just the pipes. Bound to be a few bits and pieces, not to mention fresh fluid.

TBH, for what they are charging you I don't think it's even worth getting the jack out.