What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
None - Looking for a suitable car - Scout246

Hello, I'm looking to buy a used car at around £3500, I was set on waiting for a Mazda 3 or 6 to come up, but I have realised that the boot space may be an issue as I need to be able to travel 2 medium-large dogs and 3 passengers at the same time on occasion. I really like Mazda's reliability, and I'll be disappointed if I have to go with another make, but I'm not sure if I really want to end up with an estate or other larger type of vehicle.... Mostly because of the running costs.

I'm looking at Toyotas but don't know as much about them (or the boot space). I know Honda is good for boot space and reliability but I've driven a 2002 Civic and didn't enjoy it at all so I'm not keen on going with Honda, unless other models are very different.

I won't be doing many miles, mostly using it for lots of short journeys, so I'm not too worried about a higher milage on the clock, but hope to buy something with a good few (reliable) years left in it.

Any ideas/suggestions to put me on the right track, I'd be really grateful :) thank you

None - Looking for a suitable car - Maxime.

Still looking 9 months on?

None - Looking for a suitable car - Maxime.

Astra estate.manual? Petrol.

Edited by maxime on 13/05/2023 at 21:07

None - Looking for a suitable car - _

Chevrolet lacetti a few around.

None - Looking for a suitable car - SLO76
As much as I’m a fan of Mazda and Toyota, when you’ve a tight budget of £3,500 you can’t restrict yourself so much. Cast the net much wider, I certainly wouldn’t walk past a tidy Astra, Focus, Mondeo etc etc to buy a tatty Mazda or Toyota. Condition and history mean more than make and model at this money.

Keep it simple, stick with a non-turbo charged petrol engine and avoid prestige brands and diesels. Look for mass market cars with plenty of aftermarket parts availability and look for longterm ownership and proof of regular servicing.

If you find anything locally post links to the adverts here and we’ll pick them apart for you.
None - Looking for a suitable car - Andrew-T
Keep it simple, stick with a non-turbo charged petrol engine and avoid prestige brands and diesels. Look for mass market cars with plenty of aftermarket parts availability and look for longterm ownership and proof of regular servicing.

On this question of choosing well-used cars, how do the experts value (or otherwise) the presence of a tow-hitch ?

None - Looking for a suitable car - Engineer Andy
As much as I’m a fan of Mazda and Toyota, when you’ve a tight budget of £3,500 you can’t restrict yourself so much. Cast the net much wider, I certainly wouldn’t walk past a tidy Astra, Focus, Mondeo etc etc to buy a tatty Mazda or Toyota. Condition and history mean more than make and model at this money. Keep it simple, stick with a non-turbo charged petrol engine and avoid prestige brands and diesels. Look for mass market cars with plenty of aftermarket parts availability and look for longterm ownership and proof of regular servicing. If you find anything locally post links to the adverts here and we’ll pick them apart for you.

Not sure if it would be low enough in price, but the 2nd gen (2008-12) Mazda6 2.0 petrol estate (manual) in the lower-mid spec TS and TS2 might do for their space requirements, and that car's REAL MPG is under 3mpg below (35.7 vs 37.9) the Mazda3 (2009-13) 1.6 petrol and its a bit nippier. Obviously avoid the diesels.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/

That Mazda6 estate also has a decent boot size at 519L vs the 3 at 340L (hatch) and around 430L (saloon - rare). Of course, its Mondeo cousin (sharing engines and other components under the skin with ethe inter-company tie-up back then) will be very similar in what it can do.

It's why I considered both the Focus mk2 and the Mazda3 mk1 back when I was looking in 2006 - I only went with the Mazda because I liked the saloon shape (and bigger boot than the hatch) and there were big deals to be had on new (unused) cars at Motorpoint.

Might be worth a look at the 6 mk2 estate if it's in decent condition and has a FSH? I agree that at that age, the condition of a car is as important as what it supposedly can do.

None - Looking for a suitable car - edlithgow

Hello, I'm looking to buy a used car at around £3500, I was set on waiting for a Mazda 3 or 6 to come up, but I have realised that the boot space may be an issue as I need to be able to travel 2 medium-large dogs and 3 passengers at the same time on occasion. I really like Mazda's reliability, and I'll be disappointed if I have to go with another make, but I'm not sure if I really want to end up with an estate or other larger type of vehicle.... Mostly because of the running costs.

Cant see why an estate var is going to have significantly higher running costs than the saloon or hatchback equivalent. Maybe a slightly higher fuel consumption due to weight or aerodynamics, but as you say you will be low miles, this is more than compensated for by the extra utility.

I suppose they might tend to have been worked a bit harder, and load security is a bit poorer, but otherwise mostly upside.

Very rare in the Taiwan market {Nissan MRV Resort about it} but there were plenty in the UK before SUV's took over

None - Looking for a suitable car - Xileno

A late MK2 Focus estate with the 1.8 engine would be ideal. No cambelt to change on that model. Keep an eye out for corrosion. At this price I would be looking at a private sale.

None - Looking for a suitable car - Adampr

Skoda Roomster?

None - Looking for a suitable car - pd

£3000 is pretty much entry level, almost banger, territory these days. What was £1500 or less in 2019 is probably equivalent of £3000 today so be realistic.

To be perfectly honest you can't afford to be too fussy. Don't get obsessed about colour, model or make or exact features.

If you can find a reasonable Mazda 3 1.6 petrol for £3k-£3.5k then its a good bet. Not bad cars and usually reliable apart from being prone to a bit of oil use. However as others have pointed out if you find a decent Toyota, Focus or whatever don't discount it.

If you're budget is £3500 you might be better buying something for £3000 and saving back £500 to fix whatever niggles it'll probably have.

Edited by pd on 14/05/2023 at 19:36

None - Looking for a suitable car - Falkirk Bairn

Look for a private buy - oldie selling up as he/she has handed back their licence.

None - Looking for a suitable car - Scout246

Many thanks for everyone's help, definitely given me some food for thought. Thanks Slo76 for the offer of looking at ads, much appreciated.

Edited by Scout246 on 18/05/2023 at 14:58