What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Land Rover - mcb100
It’s looking we’re coming to the end of the road for the Land Rover brand, it won’t be used in future.
Jaguar Land Rover will officially become JLR, and they’ll sell Jaguar, Defender, Discovery and Range Rover products.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say that they own a Land Rover Range Rover, so that had been a brand of its own for years.
Any - Land Rover - Sofa Spud

If 'Defender', 'Discovery' and 'Range Rover' become distinct brands within JLR, they'lre likely to expand their model ranges so they overlap even more and end up as competitors in the same market. That could lead down the road of 'badge engineering', ending with rationalisation.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 20/04/2023 at 14:19

Any - Land Rover - Adampr

As long as they still break down all the time, no problem. It's important to keep traditions.

Any - Land Rover - _

Even after all these years,(and I started selling commercial vehicles in 1976 ) going onto other things within the motor industry, When I got them cheap new, ok and disposed of before a year, I cannot think of one, except for the 216GT (honda engine ) i bought out of my own money in 1992 and kept till it was written off, there are none that i would consider as being without fault.

I can afford to buy just about any of the current crop of JLR vehicles but see all too often the problems via friends in the trade, so I'll save my pennies and enjoy the holidays etc.

Any - Land Rover - Metropolis.
As the last mass-market UK based car company, I wish them well and wish people would stop obsessing with the reliability stats. No other country disses their cars like we do ours, it is something of a national sport.

As for possible internal competition arising, look at the unfortunately acronymed VAG! Having (friendly, unlike BL) internal competition is fine. Losing a sale to another group company is better than losing a sale to external competition!
Any - Land Rover - Metropolis.
I just wish the management would have some staying power like the Japanese brands mostly do.
Any - Land Rover - corax
I just wish the management would have some staying power like the Japanese brands mostly do.

I suppose that's because we have a different mindset. Ego's to massage? Then the engineers who had the original good ideas get ignored and you end up with another carp product.

As the last mass-market UK based car company, I wish them well and wish people would stop obsessing with the reliability stats. No other country disses their cars like we do ours, it is something of a national sport. As for possible internal competition arising, look at the unfortunately acronymed VAG! Having (friendly, unlike BL) internal competition is fine. Losing a sale to another group company is better than losing a sale to external competition!

Yeah, but we're not talking about Rover trying to be posh by glueing fake wood everywhere or Allegros having square steering wheels here, were talking about a company charging £50k and up to buy a car that could just snap its crankshaft for no apparent reason. The original Land Rovers were allowed to be hilariously unreliable because everything was back then and you could fix them yourself with a decent Swiss army knife.

Then you had Range Rovers rejecting their own bodywork, Freelanders leaving a trail of head gaskets behind them etc etc. With every problem they've had, the response from Land Rover has been the same; nothing. The brand and image are so strong that people just keep buying them. It's a con and they're an embarrassment.

Any - Land Rover - sammy1

"""The brand and image are so strong that people just keep buying them. It's a con and they're an embarrassment.

The people who buy this brand can afford to buy another once the warranty as ended.

Any - Land Rover - Bolt

The people who buy this brand can afford to buy another once the warranty as ended.

As they do, just a pity they don`t learn how to drive them, they sit so high any car lower than them are almost clobbered while they just accelerate off

I heard on the radio that Land Rover badges would still be put on the A pillar as a reminder who they are....

Any - Land Rover - badbusdriver

LandRover/RangeRover, while usually at the bottom of reliability surveys, are by no means the only manufacturer of vehicles who's reliability leaves something to be desired.

Most people lease cars, so (within reason) they just don't care about reliability. The warranty will cover anything that goes wrong during the period they have the car, and after that it's someone else's problem. Same attitude from the manufacturers, they don't care what happens after the warranty has expired, they only care about getting customers into the latest model. Which is one of the reasons that cars are laden with ever more gadgets. gizmo's and the latest tech (often not fully developed), simply to lure customers in.

Any - Land Rover - barney100

I still prefer to buy used for cash and you see the salesman’s face drop when he ain’t getting commission on credit etc. Went out to buy aPanda years ago and the sales guy tried to flog me a Croma, turns out he was given a Rolex if he sold it.

Any - Land Rover - pd

I still prefer to buy used for cash and you see the salesman’s face drop when he ain’t getting commission on credit etc. Went out to buy aPanda years ago and the sales guy tried to flog me a Croma, turns out he was given a Rolex if he sold it.

For selling a Croma to a retail customer he deserved two Rolex.

Edited by pd on 21/04/2023 at 08:53

Any - Land Rover - edlithgow

For selling a Croma to a retail customer he deserved two Rolex.

Wouldn't the watch be worth more than the car?

Any - Land Rover - movilogo

I still prefer to buy used for cash and you see the salesman’s face drop when he ain’t getting commission on credit etc.

And this is the main problem nowadays with cars. When I recently enquired about cars in a nearby dealership, the salesman assumed I'll need a finance plan and didn't even bother asking me if I want to pay otherwise.

Owning a car becoming thing of the past. People are now renting cars under PCP, lease and so called schemes. Hence, long term reliability is immaterial for them.

I remember a local Fiat dealer when I was a kid offered a free 126 of you bought a Croma.

Any - Land Rover - Ex Alfa mail

Anecdotal evidence I know but just been talking to someone who bought a Defender. In the fifteen months he has owned it, it has been at the dealer for nearly six months. But he is as happy as Larry since he's been given a full fat Range Rover as a courtesy car. Dealer knows how to keep his customers happy.

Any - Land Rover - veloceman
Unlike when you take your Alfa in you get a Fiat 500!
(6mth in, 6k miles the Giulia is faultless and going strong)..
Any - Land Rover - Telco

Deleted

Edited by Telco on 21/04/2023 at 17:39

Any - Land Rover - John F
As the last mass-market UK based car company, I wish them well and wish people would stop obsessing with the reliability stats. No other country disses their cars like we do ours, it is something of a national sport.

Sadly, our home-made cars were 'dissed' with good reason. In the 'luxury' F- segment cars, even the few niche British brands are full of German engineering prowess. The poor old XJ never stood a chance.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-segment#Sales_figures_in_E...e

Any - Land Rover - Engineer Andy

JLR = Just Low Reliability?

Any - Land Rover - mcb100
And yet they still have the longest lead times of any manufacturer - up to 24 months on some factory orders.
Any - Land Rover - sammy1

Reliability issues or not you have to admit that JLR make desirable looking cars. I would have a Range Rover money no object.

Reliability issues or not you have to admit that JLR make desirable looking cars. I would have a Range Rover money no object.

Desirable interiors, certainly. The SUVs are pretty good, and I like the Velar. All the jags look the same - kind of rubbish. A mate of mine worked for their marketing team (can confirm they pay a LOT) and said even he struggled to remember which was an XF and an XE.

he struggled to remember which was an XF and an XE.

In fairness, you could say the same about a 3 Series vs 5 Series, or C Class vs E Class. For the record, the XE is 3 Series/C Class sized and the XF is 5 Series/E Class sized. I have read that both XE and XF are less spacious than the German competition though.

Horses for courses surely?

The Citroen Oli is much more my cup of tea, and if it was put into production I'd have one over a Range Rover!

Any - Land Rover - madf

Range Rover drivers round here refuse to drive on the verge on single track roads as the car might get muddy - or - heaven forbid - scratched by a bramble. If it is muddy - like the past six months, they are right to do so - as their LR comes on summer tyres with no grip in mud.

Any way thyu are too wide for single track roads..

Any - Land Rover - Terry W

Perhaps it's a function of age - the Land Rover brand to me means functional, basic, robust, fix at the roadside, go anywhere. Jaguar are grace, space, pace.

Range Rovers are now gizmo adorned Chelsea tractors (despite their offroad capability). Jaguar are probably closer to their original brand intent.

Sadly both reputedly have serious quality and reliability issues. A return to the original brand values may be commercially unrealistic.

In 10 years both brands will likely be but a memory of faded glory.

Range Rover drivers round here refuse to drive on the verge on single track roads as the car might get muddy - or - heaven forbid - scratched by a bramble. If it is muddy - like the past six months, they are right to do so - as their LR comes on summer tyres with no grip in mud.

Any way thyu are too wide for single track roads..

During the course of my work I often find myself on unclassified roads and it does seem to be the case that drivers of enormous SUV's (all makes and models, not just Range Rover) seem to have not the faintest idea where the n/s of their car is. I invariably find myself putting the n/s wheels of my Caddy van fully off the road to get by, while theirs are still a foot away from the verge!

Just the other day I went round a corner and came face to face with a large (BMW) SUV on my side of the road, avoiding driving through a large puddle!

Actually one recent 'incident' did involve something from the Land Rover stable. I was stuck behind a Discovery who's driver wouldn't go above 15mph on a road with a modest covering of wet snow............

Any - Land Rover - Steveieb

Heard today that Jaguar cars are also to be rebranded with a new name.

But I couldn’t work out what it was .

Has anyone any idea ?

Any - Land Rover - Xileno

Not sure about a new name but the brand will be all EV from 2025.

My neighbour runs LR, he's on his third Discovery and I've not heard him mention any significant problems. A rear washer jet was causing a problem before Xmas but fixed under warranty.

Any - Land Rover - veloceman
Trouble with forums you only hear about the bad stuff. I only bought 2 Jap cars.(Honda and Mitsubishi )Both were new and had problems virtually straight away which I can cope with what I couldn’t cope with was the dealers weren’t interested.
FIL had a new Corolla that came new with the steering wheel 15degrees from the straight ahead. Took 2 visits before they even admitted anything wrong.
I’m back to Alfa and after 6 months has been faultless. The previous 2 not so.
To be honest I don’t care if stuff goes wrong but as long as it’s sorted without fuss.

To be honest I don’t care if stuff goes wrong but as long as it’s sorted without fuss.

Easy to say that if you are driving a car which doesn't break down often. But if you are, and the new car in question cost upwards of £60k, I suspect that attitude would change quite quickly!

I do agree that how a dealer deals with any problems you have can make a huge difference, but that only go so far.

Any - Land Rover - gordonbennet

Easy to say that if you are driving a car which doesn't break down often. But if you are, and the new car in question cost upwards of £60k, I suspect that attitude would change quite quickly!

I do agree that how a dealer deals with any problems you have can make a huge difference, but that only go so far.

I shall always remember one chap who's brand new Jaguar XK8 on its inaugural journey arrived at the place we were staying on the back of a breakdown truck together with the chap and his wife in the truck cab. To be fair the dealer got him another equivalent courtesy car in short order, his had suffered complete gearbox failure. He viewed as just one of those things, i'd have been in a somewhat different frame of mind and that Jaguar would have been rejected and i'd have been off to the Lexus showroom.
Any - Land Rover - madf

I shall always remember one chap who's brand new Jaguar XK8 on its inaugural journey arrived at the place we were staying on the back of a breakdown truck together with the chap and his wife in the truck cab. To be fair the dealer got him another equivalent courtesy car in short order, his had suffered complete gearbox failure. He viewed as just one of those things, i'd have been in a somewhat different frame of mind and that Jaguar would have been rejected and i'd have been off to the Lexus showroom.

And that -f adopted - would soon change LR's attitudes as many dealers appear to think that customers are a PIA