Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Lee182

Id like your thoughts please.

Firstly I've learnt my lesson here and will in future go to my local independent and not try a save a few quid.

Here goes. Booked Mot using a Groupon voucher at Ats Euromaster in Manchester (my local one was booked solid) so I drove it there with no issues at all, roughly took 30mins to get there on a combination of roads/speeds.

They rang me after about an hour saying cars ready to be picked up, got there and the bloke said it failed, I said oh ok what on and he said the tester had to abort the test during or just after the emissions part stating on the mot sheet a burst water pipe.

I was like what happened and basically it went down hill from here. I opened the bonnet to take a look and immediately looking down I could see the lower radiator hose had been blown off the rad so I pointed this out and they just point blank refused to do anything about it saying that's it, no help or refund we don't deal with mechanical problems!

I must have been in there about an hour trying to get them to just put the pipe and clip back on but nope nothing. I've never ever encountered anything like this in my life!

I ended up doing it myself in 10mins after buying some Pliers from Machine Mart up the road and topping the coolant up to get home.

Why do people think? Was I being unreasonable??

Thanks.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - mcb100
I’ll leave others to comment of what ATS could or couldn’t do after the MOT, but as far as I’m aware once an MOT tester has started a test, he/she isn’t allowed to carry out any repairs during the test.
I think we’ve all seen testers tweak headlight adjusters to get it within limits, but reinstalling a coolant hose wouldn’t be permitted whilst carrying out a test.
They do get ‘mystery shopped’ - how would they know you weren’t from DVSA?
Your car failed its MOT, so no reason to refund.

Edited by mcb100 on 16/07/2022 at 19:31

I’ll leave others to comment of what ATS could or couldn’t do after the MOT, but as far as I’m aware once an MOT tester has started a test, he/she isn’t allowed to carry out any repairs during the test. I think we’ve all seen testers tweak headlight adjusters to get it within limits, but reinstalling a coolant hose wouldn’t be permitted whilst carrying out a test. They do get ‘mystery shopped’ - how would they know you weren’t from DVSA? Your car failed its MOT, so no reason to refund.

Thanks for the input.

I wasn't specifically saying the tester to do it just a Mechanic who surely could then retest it but nope too hard that was for them.

Edited by Lee182 on 16/07/2022 at 20:12

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - mcb100
That’s the issue - fast fit places don’t tend to have mechanics. They’re tyre and exhaust fitters.
A fitter refits the hose, says ‘off you go, all fixed’ and an underlying problem that perhaps caused the hose to pop off in the first place rears its ugly head shortly after, they’ve then got you saying that they told you it was all OK.
We don’t know if the place was rammed busy with people spending money on tyres & exhausts, and we don’t know your attitude towards the staff…
Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - elekie&a/c doctor
Mot testers are allowed simple repairs within an hour or so . This was probably not within the scope of this allocation. It’s called a Prs . mtaeta.info/thread/746/prs-allowed

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 16/07/2022 at 20:34

That’s the issue - fast fit places don’t tend to have mechanics. They’re tyre and exhaust fitters. A fitter refits the hose, says ‘off you go, all fixed’ and an underlying problem that perhaps caused the hose to pop off in the first place rears its ugly head shortly after, they’ve then got you saying that they told you it was all OK. We don’t know if the place was rammed busy with people spending money on tyres & exhausts, and we don’t know your attitude towards the staff…

Garage had 1 other car in and my attitude was fine but steadily understandly went a little south when I realised these people had no intention of helping me out.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Chris M

I've no connection with ATS other than being a fairly happy customer. I've used my local branch perhaps a dozen times over the last three years or so, each time using the Groupon deal.

The staff are most definitely fitters, not mechanics and I wouldn't want them doing any work on my car other than fitting tyres. Having said that they've always been pleasant enough and bar one tester, very fair.

Not sure how much longer they will be running the £17.99 Groupon MoT deal, at least at my local branch. Last year the majority of the MoTs were Groupon however this year, they only allocated one slot a day for the deal. My Astra was tested on Monday (pass with no advisories) and I asked the tester why the change of policy. It's simply that they don't even cover the tester's wages.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Andrew-T

<< ,,, these people had no intention of helping me out. >>

[1] technically your car failed as it was shown to be 'unroadworthy' . [2] MoT testers are not allowed to do any dismantling - which presumably also forbids repair work. [3] most places allow 40-45 minutes for a test, which any 'repairs' would increase. [4] any spares needed for repairing may not be available at short notice.

Using an independent, especially one you are happy with, means that a simple failure item - such as a bulb - might be fixed to pass the car at little extra cost. He might also deal with your rad connection if he thought it was safe. However it used to be common for cambelts to fail during a test - surely you wouldn't expect anyone to sort that ? :-)

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Big John

Firstly I've learnt my lesson here and will in future go to my local independent and not try a save a few quid.

I must have been in there about an hour trying to get them to just put the pipe and clip back on but nope nothing. I've never ever encountered anything like this in my life!

Myself I'd always stick to my local trusty independent. They have been great over the years.

Re pipe and clip, it's not just about sort of getting you going re a clip etc. It obviously failed for a reason and if they just put the pipe and clip on and it failed again and your engine expired going up the road who would be liable???

The other MOT issue at a place that can't do repairs is you might have to trailer the car to somewhere re repairs it as many MOT failures types mean you can't drive the car away legally.

Myself I'd always stick to my local trusty independent. They have been great over the years.

Re pipe and clip, it's not just about sort of getting you going re a clip etc. It obviously failed for a reason and if they just put the pipe and clip on and it failed again and your engine expired going up the road who would be liable???

The other MOT issue at a place that can't do repairs is you might have to trailer the car to somewhere re repairs it as many MOT failures types mean you can't drive the car away legally.

Yep, that is the biggest lesson I've learnt over this fiasco. I would completely understand it if it was a 'burst water pipe' but for them not to even see the hose dangling in mid air is just plain wrong, what would it take for them to point this out to me, lazy jobsworths is all I can say.

Anyway rant over!

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Xileno

According to the Gov website, the underbonnet checks are not done until half-way through the MOT. I assume that MOT testers all follow the ordering of the checklist. Maybe Eleckie Doc can confirm?

I don't understand the comment about not pointing out the hose issue. They did, hence why the MOT was aborted. Just as well IMO, had the test completed and you drove home with no coolant then HGF could have resulted.

Also they may well have been booked up for the rest of the day for MOTs, so not able to retest. These are important details we don't know.

The Dvsa suggest a “test route” when performing an mot , to work your way around the car . Each tester will have his own method . Personally, I would start with car on the ground to do exterior / interior and under bonnet and lights etc . Something else to think about , is that not all test stations are repairing garages , especially council owned depots .
Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - badbusdriver

I don't understand the comment about not pointing out the hose issue. They did, hence why the MOT was aborted. Just as well IMO, had the test completed and you drove home with no coolant then HGF could have resulted.

The part of this sorry tale I'm struggling with is that the OP was told on the phone that the car was ready to be picked up, but doesn't appear to have been told that it failed or discover that he wouldn't be able to drive it away(!) until he arrived. Is this likely to have happened?. If that was the case, that is where a complaint, and rant, would (IMO) be more than justified (and not the fact that they wouldn't fix it).

But personally, I'd have confirmed whether or not the car had passed before leaving to pick it up.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - John F

The thing that's most interesting to me is how and why on earth did the lower hose 'blow off'? In all my decades of interest in car maintenance I have never known this to happen. Indeed, on the rare occasion I have had to remove a radiator hose - last time was circa 1986 when a stone chipping damaged the TR7 rad and I had to remove it for refurbishment - they are usually a pig's ear to break the seal and prise off the housing.

Age, mileage and coolant service history (if any) of OP's car?

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Big John

The thing that's most interesting to me is how and why on earth did the lower hose 'blow off'?

More recent cars usually have hoses are fastened to quick release plastic connectors that plug into plastic header tanks sealed by an O ring - then secured by a pull out clip. The problem is if exposed to the elements this clip can rust. I was recently helping a neighbour sort a cooling issue with an Audi A4 and was amazed the bottom hose hadn't "blown" off ages ago - the clip was all but gone!

"But personally, I'd have confirmed whether or not the car had passed before leaving to pick it up" or better still check on the Gov.uk website first. I do this so that if there was a failure (or advisory) I could get more details on collection.

"But personally, I'd have confirmed whether or not the car had passed before leaving to pick it up" or better still check on the Gov.uk website first. I do this so that if there was a failure (or advisory) I could get more details on collection.

Does the MOT details get on the Gov website that quickly?

Yes , as soon as the test is completed, the info is available to view on line almost immediately.
Yes , as soon as the test is completed, the info is available to view on line almost immediately.

Amazing that something involving the government and the internet is so efficient ;-)

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - _

Amazing that something involving the government and the internet is so efficient ;-)

They are taking money from you.

Taxed your car ?, shows immediately...

Other things such as online change of ownership free but still shows immediately.

My own experience confirms that.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - FoxyJukebox
So-after you fixed the hose-did you have a re-test and did the car pass/fail?

What do you think! I wouldn't give them the steam off my p*** if they were on fire, sorry but I have respect for people and if the shoe was on the other foot I'd try to help out the person but hey that's just me I guess.

What do you think!

I wouldn't give them the steam off my p*** if they were on fire, sorry but I have respect for people and if the shoe was on the other foot I'd try to help out the person but hey that's just me I guess.

Booked into a local actual competent Garage.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - SLO76
Moral of the story, don’t go for a cheapo Mot. Pay the little bit extra and get your trusted local independent to carry it out. Mine would carry out the test and make any minor repairs required to get it through. If something more is wrong they’ll call. Never use a fast fit centre or a main dealer for an Mot.
Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - FoxyJukebox
I notice that some garages encourage an MOT and a service at the same time-this might have been helpful here in identifying and correcting the hose fault or at the very least resulted in a call to ask if they should proceed?
Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Will deBeast

To be fair to the garage, they've done a loss-leader through groupon. They won't even earn enough money to cover the cost of the MOT tester's time. If it were me running a branch, my goodwill would be very limited too.

You'd be far better off building a relationship with a local garage.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Manatee

>>To be fair to the garage, they've done a loss-leader through groupon.

I think it's reasonable to expect the same treatment whether you have paid their normal price or used an offer. ATS didn't have to do the Groupon deal, but they did and they should honour it.

I would infer that that was the normal level of "service" at that branch.

I assume they do offers in the hope of recruiting new customers and selling the odd tyre. That has rather backfired on them if they punish the customer for using an offer.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - edlithgow

You paid a cut price for an MOT test, and you got one, though I agree it would have been nice of them to tell you the state of the car so you could have gone prepared to fix it.

I'd suspect your cooling fan isn't working.

Staitonary running for the emissions testing then caused the system to overheat, pressurising the system and blowing a hose off.

Has happened to me more than once (though without a hose blowing) on the 6-monthly test here in Taiwan. because I have an iffy connection to the temperature sensor.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/07/2022 at 02:41

I'd suspect your cooling fan isn't working. Stationary running for the emissions testing then caused the system to overheat, pressurising the system and blowing a hose off.

The normal pressure-relief point in a cooling system is not a hose connection to the radiator. So to that extent there was something wrong, but perhaps not enough to deem the car unroadworthy. IMHO the thermostat needs checking.

I have never paid full price for an MoT in over forty years. The number of fails I've had can be counted on the fingers of one hand and from memory they were all justified. I've had loads of advisories, most of which disappear the following year which is why I tend to ignore most of them. Some of the advisories disappear even with the same tester!

In recent years I've used Groupon deals and haven't had any issues. Maybe I don't look like a muppet that's begging to be mugged off.

I have never paid full price for an MoT in over forty years. The number of fails I've had can be counted on the fingers of one hand ...

Before the days of online MoT results one could get a fail at one station, take the car to another and get a pass - with a bit of luck :-)

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Manatee

I'll never use another Groupon. The "genuine" Apple charging accessory kit I paid £30 for definitely wasn't.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Nezza

I would never use ( a certain chain) again myself. I went for a slow puncture repairing as showing on my TPMS and on taking the tyre off the young kid broke the sensor. Complete in half so would not even hold pressure. They would not replace it then saying it was damaged when I drove in- Really don’t know how that would even be possible as I would have to drive in with a flat tyre. Long story short, they put a plain valve in leaving the car an MOT failure as now TPMS fault. Said would investigate and then said not their doing. I complained to head office and got nowhere. Were not interested. Mistakes happen, but at least own up and put it right. I was tempted to think their insurance (not expecting anything but just to give them a headache to think again next time) but in the end moved on. Went to main dealer and paid an arm and a leg as only garage near that could sort on a Saturday. So I will not go back and have advised my other family members who used to go of their customer service. Obviously this was only one dealership but for me… no more of my hard earned going their way.

Edited, no naming and shaming, Moderator.

Edited by _ORB_ on 18/07/2022 at 15:34

So I will not go back and have advised my other family members who used to go of their customer service. Obviously this was only one dealership but for me… no more of my hard earned going their way.

This of course has nothing to do with an MoT. It goes to show the potential difficulty for such places in keeping up with clever gadgets in unexpected places on modern cars (or other kinds of appliance). Hopefully it was a lesson learnt by the clumsy lad.

Like you, I decided not to patronise my nearest MoT garage after their latest work, where they serviced my car without reference to the written instructions I had given them the day before. I informed them that I would not be making use of the free next service they offered in compensation.

Car passed today at my local friendly Garage, no issues.

I also wrote a complaint email to head office and got this back,

Kind regards

Stuart

Anyway thanks for all the replies, enjoyed reading them.

[Post edited to remove accusations. The company are accusing you of something and you are making a counter-accusation. HJ will not thank us if we get caught in the middle of a dispute regarding what the company said, you said etc. etc. I see you've posted your complaint on a review site and the company is in touch with you so any alleged wrong-doing can be sorted that way. Mod]

Edited by Xileno on 20/07/2022 at 21:04

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Brit_in_Germany

There are numerous reports of aluminium TPMS valves failing catastrophically when the cap is removed. Often this is due to metal (steel) caps being used causing bi-metallic corrosion. Presumably though, in your case a different cause for the initial loss of pressure was identified.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - edlithgow

There are numerous reports of aluminium TPMS valves failing catastrophically when the cap is removed. Often this is due to metal (steel) caps being used causing bi-metallic corrosion. Presumably though, in your case a different cause for the initial loss of pressure was identified.

Someone misread the original post. On my reading this is nothing to do with tyre pressures.

Ds3 - Mot aborted, Refuse to help me - Brit_in_Germany

Try clicking on "view threaded".