What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Mkat19
I’ve spent hours scouring through forums but I think it’s best if I just ask directly for some advice as I’m really starting to get confused with all the conflicting opinions.

I need to buy a 7 seater for under £3.5K- it will not be getting very much use at all, a handful of times a week doing food shopping etc (usually only a mile or two each way) and the odd day trip say once a month or so. It will be just children in the rear seats so no need to worry about lots of space. I only need this car to last me a couple of years until I can replace with a better one once I’ve finished uni and am in full-time work.
Just looking for something that isn’t going to break down on me and have extortionate repairs- what should I be looking out for when going to view cars? I’m a complete novice, I’ve been doing a lot of research but I’m still not really sure on anything and I’m worried about people trying to sell me a rubbish one (stereotypical small blonde young and probably look as much of a car novice as I am lol)

Please, any help and advice is so so appreciated
Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Falkirk Bairn

£3,500 to spend - not a lot but needing 7 seats makes life tricky.

You really have to avoid buying from a dealer and buy privately - the dealer is selling a £2K car for £3K.

7 seater cars sold privately will be thin on the ground, a good 7 seater even rarer.

You have no comeback buying privately.

If you have no "car buying" skills/ knowledge you need to find a friend or relative to help or at least give you some advice about the car you are looking to buy.

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - badbusdriver

Keep it simple!. The simpler the car is, the less can go wrong and, in theory, the less it will cost to fix if it does.

£3.5k is not a lot, so your choices are going to be limited mainly to a Vauxhall Zafira. Thats no problem, stick to the 1.6 petrol with a manual gearbox and they are perfectly adequate for your needs. You have not said where you are, but a quick look on Autotrader shows that a 2013 example could be had for your budget (up to 100k miles, no insurance write offs).

Other cars to consider are the Mazda 5 and Toyota Corolla Verso, both of which are very reliable (assuming a reasonable degree of care by previous owners).

Do you actually need a 7 seater or are just assuming you do because you need 6 seats?. If so, the Honda FR-V is also worth a look.

Thank you so much! I’m seeing lots of zafiras around, should I limit it to 100K miles or are higher mileage ones okay? There’s a few Renaults and Citroens for similar prices are these a big no? I’ve been told to avoid French cars like the plague…
I definitely need the 7 seats annoyingly.
Is service history essential? I am not fussed about the look or age of the car literally just something that suits my needs. Do you think the AA check things are worth paying out for perhaps? Is buying from a dealer with a warranty any good or private sellers better?
Sorry for the 21 questions!
Thank you for the advice! Ugh I thought this might be the case. I genuinely don’t really have anyone knowledgeable I could take with me- what a nightmare. Do you think it’s worth buying one with a higher mileage for less say £2500 and then saving the rest for repairs if something goes wrong?

Full history would be nice but probably an unrealistic expectation at this price point, but certainly some recent history is desirable. Look up the MOT history of the car (check-mot-history) this isn't the be all and end all, but will give an indication of how the car has been looked after.

Not really a good idea buying a cheaper car when you are starting with such a small budget unless that cheaper car looks like a good 'un. The idea behind "keep it simple" is to minimise potential repair costs anyway.

Where in the country are you?, I'm happy to have a look on Autotrader and Ebay to see if anything interesting nearby.

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Alby Back
Everything is a gamble at this price, but you can better your odds with a few basic tricks. By and large, it’s better to buy a newer car with big miles than an older one with lower miles.

If you can find something that is young-ish, ideally with one company owner and a full main dealer service history ( hence all recalls should have been attended to ) , but that maybe has a lot of motorway miles on it, it’s likely to be a better car than one that has spent its life on the school run. Difficult to find at your budget I’m afraid though.

Check little things like does it have four matching tyres of a brand you’ve heard of, check old mot’s, it’s easy to do online to see what problems it has had, or what might be lurking. If it has a cambelt, has that been changed recently or at least on time.

Good luck in your search anyway!

Edited by Alby Back on 10/07/2022 at 15:42

Ah badbusdriver that’s super helpful thank you, what am I looking for regarding MOT? Like mileage discrepancies, checking advisories etc? When I go there I should be looking at paperwork for works having been completed too I guess… like should I expect most big areas will have had work done on them at some point due to the car most likely being quite old? I mean, for example, should I expect the clutch/gearbox etc have been touched at some point in its life? Or am I talking absolute nonsense?
Ah you are so kind, thank you so much- I’m in Cambridgeshire

Edited by Mkat19 on 10/07/2022 at 16:35

Actually I wasn't thinking of mileage discrepancies, but definitely worth looking at that as it could point to a vehicle having been cloned!. I was thinking more of advisories, especially ones which were also present on previous MOT's. But also (and this isn't necessarily to do with neglect) corrosion under the car because this, left untreated, could write off a car.

A clutch having been replaced is nothing to worry about, they do wear out, and in most cars of the type you'd be looking at, probably not that expensive. A gearbox having been replaced?, I wouldn't be overly concerned, it does happen. As long as the car drives fine when you test it with no problems changing gear (same for everything else).

So using a random postcode in Willingham (which appears to be about the middle of Cambridgeshire), here are a few from Autotrader,

And Ebay,

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Random

Some very good suggestions Bbd. If it was me I'd go for the one at the bottom, the Toyota. Just check the service history is full, and if done by a dealer you can contact them with the registraion number the ensure the history is genuine. The MOT history is very good and the interior looks virtually immaculate. The latter, for me, indicates a well cared for car. If I see a grubby car, it shows the owners didn't care, and if it's at a used car dealer shows they don't give a stuff about prospective customers.

Good luck with your search.

Actually I wasn't thinking of mileage discrepancies, but definitely worth looking at that as it could point to a vehicle having been cloned!. I was thinking more of advisories, especially ones which were also present on previous MOT's. But also (and this isn't necessarily to do with neglect) corrosion under the car because this, left untreated, could write off a car.

A clutch having been replaced is nothing to worry about, they do wear out, and in most cars of the type you'd be looking at, probably not that expensive. A gearbox having been replaced?, I wouldn't be overly concerned, it does happen. As long as the car drives fine when you test it with no problems changing gear (same for everything else).

Duly noted, that all makes a lot of sense… even to me! You are so nice for looking, honestly thank you so much. I’ll enquire about those cars. Regarding the zafiras are the 1.6 the only good option or is the 1.8 petrol or 1.7 diesel out of the question in terms of reliability and stuff? The last auto trader link dealership had a few other zafiras listed so maybe it’s worth having a couple to look at so I don’t feel like I’ve “wasted” a trip. Is gumtree a reasonable platform to look on? You’ve been so helpful and knowledgeable, it’s starting to make a bit more sense now. Can I just take you with me to look? ?? seriously though thank you for all your help so far, I’m really grateful
Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - SLO76
The first one owner Zafira could be worthy, it must’ve been a good car if they had it 12yrs. But as always, there will be a reason why it was sold so you need to check the Mot history carefully, look through the service history for hints and physically check the car over thoroughly. These are generally robust and they’re simple things, easy to fix and look after but many are owned by people who don’t care about cars so they’re often neglected. Buy only if there’s good history with proof of regular servicing. I’m a fan of the Mazda 5 but that advert is awful, the seller obviously can’t speak English and sadly I’ve found such sellers are typically not worth the effort, they’re usually selling utter garbage.
Okay so I’m able to up my budget to £6K… £6.5K at a push but I’d rather spend as little as possible! Would you recommend any different cars for this price or should I stick to the ones mentioned?
Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Heidfirst

Worth looking at Toyota Verso (not Corolla Verso) 1.8l valvematic .

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Adampr

This is a slightly strange one, so bear with me.

Quite frequently, someone will recommend a Toyota Estima. It's what used to be known as a Toyota Previa when they imported them to the UK. They are now only available as private imports from Japan.

I used to live in a part of London where a lot of people were of a strict religion that obliged them to have large families. They ALL drove Previas and Estimas, including very old ones, and they kept going for ever.

Now, you probably think importing a car from Japan is way too complicated, but I happen to know of an honest importer fairly near you (Peterborough). They import pretty much only Estimas to use in their campervan fleet and have done so for over a decade so know what they're doing. If anyone can find you a decent one, it's probably them (speak to James).

www.bumblecampers.com/imports.html

That’s amazing thank you very much for the info Adampr - So just to clarify, am I asking them to source one for me within my price range? They all look very expensive on the website!

The ones on their website are post-conversion. I'm suggesting it's worth a quick call to ask them if they might be able to source a 7 seater within budget. They might just laugh and say no. I don't know, but I know they will tell you the truth and are constantly importing cars for their own use, so understand how to find a good one. Worth a phonecall or email, surely?

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Crickleymal

When car hunting I always look up the car on the government MOT website.

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.204582035.2067...3

Have a look at the MOT history, check for advisories and, if there are failures, what did it fail on. If there's been welding done it often means that more will be needed soon.

This is a slightly strange one, so bear with me.

Quite frequently, someone will recommend a Toyota Estima. It's what used to be known as a Toyota Previa when they imported them to the UK. They are now only available as private imports from Japan.

I used to live in a part of London where a lot of people were of a strict religion that obliged them to have large families. They ALL drove Previas and Estimas, including very old ones, and they kept going for ever.

Now, you probably think importing a car from Japan is way too complicated, but I happen to know of an honest importer fairly near you (Peterborough). They import pretty much only Estimas to use in their campervan fleet and have done so for over a decade so know what they're doing. If anyone can find you a decent one, it's probably them (speak to James).

www.bumblecampers.com/imports.html

It may be possible in theory to get into an Estima for £3.5k, but not likely, at least not one you'd want. Also, we don't know how the OP feels about auto.

BTW, I did look at the MOT histories of the cars I linked, non are perfect, but nothing too alarming (IMO).

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - veloceman
Personally from experience I feel the Mazda is only a 6 seater. The middle bench is quite narrow.
Personally from experience I feel the Mazda is only a 6 seater. The middle bench is quite narrow.

Maybe, but this is what the OP says re rear space;

It will be just children in the rear seats so no need to worry about lots of space.

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - galileo

Maybe, but this is what the OP says re rear space;

It will be just children in the rear seats so no need to worry about lots of space.

If they need to be in child seats they will take up more space, depends what age they are.

The Mazda 6 would be fine I think, a couple of the children are tall enough to not need boosters and could squeeze in the middle haha
Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - galileo
The Mazda 6 would be fine I think, a couple of the children are tall enough to not need boosters and could squeeze in the middle haha

Back in the 1980s we had 5 kids aged from 5 to 15 (2 mine +3 second wife's) and were highly pleased with Peugeot 504 Family estates even the third row seats were big enough for adults.

Not been available for years, unfortunately, very solid vehicles.

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - Xileno

They were great but rusted badly. Maybe no worse than many others of that period. The 505 was even better, same qualities but better protected. Many ended up in Africa to see out their days.

They were great but rusted badly. Maybe no worse than many others of that period. The 505 was even better, same qualities but better protected. Many ended up in Africa to see out their days.

I think 504s were the UK's most stolen car for a while - no sophisticated security and a very large market for them. The fairly recent 307SW was available with seven seats but, as I've been rude about them on another thread, I can hardly suggest one now..

A mate of mine had a Renault 21 seven seater!

Okay so I’m able to up my budget to £6K… £6.5K at a push but I’d rather spend as little as possible! Would you recommend any different cars for this price or should I stick to the ones mentioned?

As mentioned, the Toyota Verso (1.6 and 1.8 petrol).

Ford Grand C-Max (1.6 petrol, not the 1.0 Ecoboost).

Kia Carens.

Zafira Tourer.

But you will also find more examples of what has already been suggested with the new budget (especially the Zafira)

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - daveyK_UK
Get a Dacia Jogger 7 seater on PCP 4 years

New car, warranty, no hassle, hand it back at the end

You will have a better quality of life over the next 4 years for your £6.5k than a diesel that will be worthless and increasingly expensive to run and own

Or a petrol 7 seater (if you can find a good one)

Put £4K down as a deposit to lower your monthly PCP rate
Get a Dacia Jogger 7 seater on PCP 4 years

New car, warranty, no hassle, hand it back at the end

You will have a better quality of life over the next 4 years for your £6.5k than a diesel that will be worthless and increasingly expensive to run and own

Or a petrol 7 seater (if you can find a good one)

Put £4K down as a deposit to lower your monthly PCP rate

That is a bold statement. Is Dacia paying you, or is that part of the Dacia warranty?!

Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - daveyK_UK
But I think it’s a fairly likely statement

With the vast increase in used prices, it’s becoming more expensive to find a good used car.

That task is made more difficult when trying to find a good used 7 seater car with a smaller pool of cars available.

That pool reduces further if you want a good used petrol 7 seater.

Why have all that hassle and any maintenance and repair bills when for similar money you can lease a vehicle that will be new with a warranty, more efficient and cheaper to run.

As an ownership experience a newer product would be a nicer experience and as such would result in a better quality of life in terms of car ownership.

In all honesty, it's probably what I would do, but a Jogger on PCP for 48 months is just short of £12,000. Buy something decent for £6k used and you've got an awful lot of money for repairs.

Get a Dacia Jogger 7 seater on PCP 4 years New car, warranty, no hassle, hand it back at the end

This sounds like a dream but I’m a student and only work part time so it’s just not affordable for me atm :( maybe in a few years… so surprised at how cheap they are, that’s crazy!
Cheap 7 seater advice *first time buyer* - bazza

Good morning just seen this post. I think there's one decent choice here that reduces the risk quite a bit and it's a Toyota Verso. There are quite a few on autotrader in and around the price range. I say this as there is no doubt that Toyota build a long lasting tough vehicle, we have a 19 year old Corolla that is still a decent car with life in it, cheap to run and easy to fix. Of course with high miles and age, things will go wrong but it helps when the vehicle is well built to begin with. Try and find one with petrol engine and services every year. The diesel is fairly good but more to go wrong, petrol is the wiser choice. A very tough, boring but reliable car, that would be my choice, they can also be maintained by any decent garage.

Thank you for the reply Bazza! Again I’m not able to find many petrols- I’ve always been told diesel are the better choice which I now assume must be to do with MPG (although I’m not really fussed about that). Would a petrol with higher miles or a diesel with lower miles be preferable for the Verso? Also of the diesels is there a preference between the 1.6 and 2.0? There’s a few 2.0 that come with the touch screens which would be cool! There’s a 2.0 diesel for £6k with 66k miles and full service history on auto trader from a private seller, or the same but 80k from Facebook marketplace full Toyota service history (although nobody has mentioned searching on marketplace on here so perhaps I should steer clear?)

As mentioned, the Toyota Verso (1.6 and 1.8 petrol).

Ford Grand C-Max (1.6 petrol, not the 1.0 Ecoboost).

The verso and c-max both look good but I’m struggling to find them as petrols. The c-max looks ideal, I’ve seen a couple of the 1.6 petrols but all quite high mileage… around 100k- is that quite high? Ideally would like this car to last 3/4 years if possible. I’ve seen a couple of diesel ones that are lower mileage- private sellers with genuine reasons for selling. There’s a 1.6 diesel with 58k miles and full Ford service history or a 2.0 diesel with 48k miles and full service history? Both around £7k… titanium spec (although I can’t see much difference between that and the zetec) do you think either would be worth it/suitable? Is the reason for the petrol recommendation because of city driving? If so would a weekly trip down the motorway improve the suitability? Also been recommended to get a qashqai +2… but apparently they are the most unreliable car in the uk according to “Which?” Sorry again for all the questions, I promise I have been doing my own research but I don’t have anyone else to ask about these specifics/opinions haha

Yes, everyone is saying petrol because diesel only makes sense of you cover a lot of miles. A weekly blast down the motorway will help, but they are really meant to be run for a decent distance whenever you drive. Short journeys will decrease reliability and repairs on a diesel cost more than petrol.

A couple more suggestions:

I'm pretty sure a Chevrolet Orlando is effectively the same thing as a Vauxhall Zafira Tourer. Likely to be cheaper because people will be worried about maintenance (Chevrolet no longer exists in the UK) but there's actually nothing exotic underneath.

I also think there was a seven seat Fiat Doblo. They're a bit rough and ready, but should be easy / cheap to repair and have sliding doors so very practical. Unsure on reliability, but you see hundreds of Doblo vans charging around.

The reason for petrol recommendation is due to a combination of reliability and running costs. It is all too easy to think of running costs as simply mpg, in which case diesel obviously wins, but there is much more to it than just that. If something goes wrong on a diesel engine, it will cost much more to fix than a petrol equivalent, routine servicing is going to cost more, and of course diesel itself is more expensive to buy at the pumps than petrol. It is generally reckoned that for diesel to be worthwhile you need to be doing circa 15k miles or more per annum. Of course there are situations where diesel makes more of a case for itself, even if doing less miles, such as if you have a caravan (particularly a big one), because the torque of a turbo diesel will make it much less hard work.

The fact that you will be doing a weekly motorway trip will make things better for diesel in one respect, because the reliability problems surrounding modern diesels are generally due to being used only for shorter journeys clogging up DPF's. But the budget you are working with means you will be looking at older cars which throws up two potential issues. 1, as any car gets older, things can and will start going wrong (see comment above). 2, you may unwittingly buy a car who's DPF is on its last legs resulting in a crippling bill for you (rather than its previous owner).

There are some diesels which are a less risky purchase than others, but unlikely you will find anyone on the forum pointing you in that direction. As I said at the start, keep it simple!.

Re the Qashqai, yes they don't have a great reputation. That doesn't mean they are all bad, but with a small budget, you need to reduce the risks as much as is possible by looking at cars generally regarded as being fundamentally reliable. Even then, it is going to be a bit of a gamble, but the odds, for you, are better.