What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Megane - Bought a new car but they cant MOT it? - Matt Lago

Hi all, so I just bought a myself a new car and I'm having a few issues before I've even picked it up.

It's not done many miles for its age (13 plate at 67k) its in pretty good condition all round and it's economical, which given the mileage I do and today's fuel prices, is a huge plus. They said to me that they would service and MOT it for me, fix any major issues that arise with the MOT and also ANY advisories. So thinking thats a pretty good deal I put my deposit down and sold my old car.

I called them to ask for an update on the progress and they said to me that they couldn't MOT it as its not registered in the UK (it does have an NI plate), and they need to send off the log book to have it re-registered in the UK and then they will be able to perform the MOT. I didn't think much of it at the time but I've since spoken to the DVLA, DVSA and the NI MOT department to get a little more infomation on the processes for NI cars. None of them raised concerns that the car can't have it's MOT done as NI is part of the UK but has a government run MOT program, whereas on the mainland any garage can get approval to perform MOTs.

So, I contacted the MOT garage (next door to the dealer but separate business) to ask them what the problem was and they advised that they couldn't get it on their system, even using the VIN number. So now I have a courtesy car from the dealer, to which I was forced to pay the cost up front for it, and no idea when the car will be ready for me.

Should I be concerned or is this something that others have experienced buying NI plate cars? Are there any MOT testers on here that can provide their opinions?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Matt Lago on 31/03/2022 at 15:10

Renault Megane - Bought a new car but they cant MOT it? - badbusdriver

You should be demanding your money back, both for the car and the loan car. If the dealer you bought the car from was not able to MOT it due to having a NI reg, they should not have sold you it, or at least not until the MOT had been done.

Diesel Renaults are not rare cars, you should have no problems finding a UK registered one.

Renault Megane - Bought a new car but they cant MOT it? - madf

Just get your money back.

They lied in their advert.

It could take months.

Renault Megane - Bought a new car but they cant MOT it? - pd

There shouldn't be any difference between a NI and a GB car. They are both UK registered cars registered with DVLA in Swansea.

It doesn't need to be re-registered in GB coming from NI these days, only the MOT is different.

Renault Megane - Bought a new car but they cant MOT it? - focussed

There shouldn't be any difference between a NI and a GB car. They are both UK registered cars registered with DVLA in Swansea.

It doesn't need to be re-registered in GB coming from NI these days, only the MOT is different.

I just looked this up and that's correct - the OP needs to contact the DVSA - they run the UK mot test system.

MOT, vehicle testing and approval
enquiries@dvsa.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 9000
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm

Renault Megane - Bought a new car but they cant MOT it? - Andrew-T

Sounds like a tall story to me. There are plenty of cars in England running around with NI registrations. If there was a problem with bringing cars across I think we would know about it. I do know that the MoT test regulations are different in NI, that's all.