What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Private plate dvla shock - Midbeds

Hello

I have spent hours dealing with the dvla due to there pathetic rules on keeping my private number plate. I am halfway buying a new vehicle so should be able to go online to retain I have then got a message that I need to send it in old school through the post. I contacted them they advised that this is due to my vehicle not being taxed on the previous registration by the previous owner within five years now have wait for 3 to 4 weeks before I can collect my vehicle as dealership wants original plate on vehicle.

Absolutely pathetic from the Dvla

Any - Private plate dvla shock - glidermania

It's not recent incompetence either. I bought a 'cherished' plate years ago in my name. Put it on wifey's vehicle making sure to tick the boxes so I retained title to the plate while on wifey's car.

When we decided to replace wifey's car I transferred to retention ticking the boxes again for this to be in my name. When the certificate came back, wifey is now legally the holder of 'my' plate!

It doesnt make a differencein this case but does show they dont do what you ask via the relevant tick boxes on their own forms.

Any - Private plate dvla shock - elekie&a/c doctor
Same thing happened to us a few months ago . My wife wanted to sell her Fiat which had a private plate . Had to go through the same old school procedures to transfer it to the new car . What I don’t get ,is we managed to put the private plate onto the Fiat without any trouble.