What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - garcon6
Going to test drive a Mazda CX-5. Got Mazda 5 to part exchange, 2013 40,000 miles. Not looking to buy new at least two years old, about 20,000 miles. Is it a good idea not to commit too early, for example I’m looking at other cars. Good idea not to let them know a budget. I need some useful haggling techniques.
Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - mcb100
You’ve picked a time when used cars are in short supply and prices are rising. The good news is that your part exchange may be worth a bit more than you’d expect, but don’t expect to negotiate a lot from the screen price.
And go for petrol, not diesel.
Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - badbusdriver

Also, hope it isn't a diesel?. If so, look up Mazda 2.2D problems and have a rethink!.

Thanks
Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - SLO76
If it’s a diesel SUV you seek then look elsewhere, the Mazda 2.2 Skyactiv-D motor is rather fragile and best avoided. The CX5 2.0 Skyactiv petrol is however an excellent used option and it’s well worth seeking out a good full dealer history approved used example. Pay extra for a good one upfront and don’t focus solely on price or discount. It’s worth paying more for a good car.

To make sure you’re not overpaying look at other similar cars for sale and perhaps use them to negotiate but don’t expect anyone to throw a nice example of one of these away. Dealer finance on a used car is never competitive so finance it through a low rate bank loan if you don’t have the savings but when negotiating a part exchange price let them quote you a big fat finance deal with plenty of commission, they’ll be more amenable to discounts if they think there’s hundreds in finance commission coming their way. Then after a deal is agreed tell them you’ll source your own finance, they can’t legally change the price but get it in writing before doing so.

Get a price from we buy any car for your old car and offer it to local dealers who offer the same buying service, it’s an appealing model if in good condition. If they offer more then sell it to them or use the price to negotiate the dealer upwards.

As I say, don’t buy based solely on price or discount though, a good car will cost more than a tatty or neglected example.
Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - FP

As a very satisfied owner of a CX-5 petrol, I did my research and avoided a diesel, so I echo the sentiments above. I'm sure there are trouble-free Mazda diesels, but if you get a problem with one it's likely to be major.

My experience with the dealer: I knew from looking at a lot of adverts that the price was reasonable; I had already driven two other examples and had a good feel for the car; I knew the value of the car I was selling was very low and of no interest in a part-exchange; I negotiated the price down a little by stripping off unneeded extras like special paint and leather treatments, and got them to tax it. They gave me a tank of fuel.

I've only to add that I love the car to death and in four years it has cost me only servicing (done by an indie), four tyres and fuel. Despite all the toys (it's the SportNav model), nothing has gone wrong and it has been utterly reliable.

I had a test drive, goes well. Engine is lovely and quiet, gear change is smooth. They offered me £6000 for my Mazda 5. It includes £1000, for being a Mazda owner. Maximum I would want to spend probably be about £20,000. Effectively the car would be about £14,000.. Service plan is £862 for three years. I’m not sure if there are any other cars worth considering. £6000 for my car is a reasonable offer.

Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - Engineer Andy

As a very satisfied owner of a CX-5 petrol, I did my research and avoided a diesel, so I echo the sentiments above. I'm sure there are trouble-free Mazda diesels, but if you get a problem with one it's likely to be major.

Indeed - it very much depends on the driving pattern of all previous owners, which is presumably not known (total mileage isn't always a good clue to whether someone's just done lots of short trips from cold).

My experience with the dealer: I knew from looking at a lot of adverts that the price was reasonable; I had already driven two other examples and had a good feel for the car; I knew the value of the car I was selling was very low and of no interest in a part-exchange; I negotiated the price down a little by stripping off unneeded extras like special paint and leather treatments, and got them to tax it. They gave me a tank of fuel.

I've only to add that I love the car to death and in four years it has cost me only servicing (done by an indie), four tyres and fuel. Despite all the toys (it's the SportNav model), nothing has gone wrong and it has been utterly reliable.

Rather like my experience with my 15yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol. One thing to add is for the OP to look at reviews of all local-ish main dealers on the post-sales front, as I've read (sadly) many tales on the Mazda3 forum of poor treatment from dealers on the service/maintenance side, where it appears to be a 50:50 chance of getting a good one.

I'd rather travel a bit further away to get a good dealer on the post-sales front.

Thanks. Some dealerships are probably better than others. The salesman today was explaining about a special chip used in all cars. He was going on about the main and only factory that had burnt down in a fire. He said price for used cars has gone up.

There was a car on the Swindon website, roughly about £20,000 with only 6,000 miles. CX-Sport, 2018. Forgot to ask if it includes road tax, could ask them the best price they would accept for the car.
Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - Halmerend
Road tax is a personal tax why would they pay that?
Quite right
Thanks. Some dealerships are probably better than others. The salesman today was explaining about a special chip used in all cars. He was going on about the main and only factory that had burnt down in a fire. He said price for used cars has gone up.

I certainly don't recall that being reported - whilst I'm not completely discounting it, I wouldn't be surprised that it was sales patois (i.e. lies), given the overwhelming reasons why car prices have risen are:

1. The pandemic response (worldwide) had led to the temporary closure of many factories - car assemly plants and of component manufacturers (and in some circumatnces, workplacces of those mining and processing raw materials) - especially computer chip manufacturers, which are quite prevalent in vehicles these days.

2. The shortage of new cars as a result of the above meant that when people need to replace a worn out/broken car, they are more likely to look at nearly new/second-hand cars due to availability problems and the higher cost of new ones due to the shortages and firms passing on the cost of COVID-compliance measures.

3. The lack of new cars means that there are also less 1 and 2yo cars feeding through from the usual sources like rental firms. This and the extra demand as described above pushes second hand prices up, especially as increasingly higher inflation is now feeding through generally when the same pandemic effects on other goods start to kick in, as will the cost OF the pandemic response itself.

Best for you to spread your net reasonably widely (i.e. not just looking in the local area, perhaps 50+ miles away to buy) to get the best price (obviously if the travel cost is factored in, then it might in some circumstance make the car not viable).

Unless you have to, I'd hold off buying and see how things go, as you may find some dealers want to shift certain cars to either stay afloat or meet sales targets and might (say at the end of the months, quarter or 6 month sales period) be more likely to accept a much lower price.

In addition, do you really need a high-spec (trim level) car? The Mazda range generally does not vary the engine from bottom to top that much, so the main difference is the gadgets inside and more fancier trim, bigger wheels, etc.

My advice is to only get what you absolutely need (not want) and nothing else. You could save yourself a good few Grand by getting a lower or mid-spec model, which are well kitted up themselves, and will be cheaper to run due to lower insurance costs, better mpg (less wide tyres) and less costs involving alloy wheels (damage) and tyres (longer lasting and cheaper to replace) with little discernable impact on performance or handling.

This would be important because it's very likely that times will be tough in the next 10 years, so saving money now and ongoing may well make a big difference later on.

Best of luck.

Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - misar

I certainly don't recall that being reported - whilst I'm not completely discounting it, I wouldn't be surprised that it was sales patois (i.e. lies), given the overwhelming reasons why car prices have risen are:

The worldwide shortage of microchips has been in the news for months including the effect on the motor industry. Several major car manufacturers had shutdowns as a result. Guess you have been too busy doing your research to look at any mainstream news outlets.

The worldwide shortage of microchips has been in the news for months including the effect on the motor industry. Several major car manufacturers had shutdowns as a result. Guess you have been too busy doing your research to look at any mainstream news outlets.

I think you misconstrued my comment there - I was referring to the OP relaying the reason the sales person gave for the 'special chip' (for Mazdas, apparently[?]) shortage being due to the factory that prodcues them burning down (now highlighted for your convenience in bold italics from your own post), not the pandemic issues.

If you'd read the rest of my comments there, I specifically referred to the chip and (thus) new car shortage being caused by the pandemic issues.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 26/06/2021 at 14:48

Mazda CX-5 - Advice on buying a new car - misar

I think you misconstrued my comment there - I was referring to the OP relaying the reason the sales person gave for the 'special chip' (for Mazdas, apparently[?]) shortage being due to the factory that prodcues them burning down (now highlighted for your convenience in bold italics from your own post), not the pandemic issues.

If you'd read the rest of my comments there, I specifically referred to the chip and (thus) new car shortage being caused by the pandemic issues.

One of the car industry's biggest computer chip suppliers has warned that a major fire at one of its factories in Japan could have a "massive impact" on its ability to fulfil orders.

So it was not "sales patois (i.e. lies)" from the Mazda salesman.

Edited by misar on 26/06/2021 at 15:48

One of the car industry's biggest computer chip suppliers has warned that a major fire at one of its factories in Japan could have a "massive impact" on its ability to fulfil orders.

So it was not "sales patois (i.e. lies)" from the Mazda salesman.

I said it might be, not that it was. Besides, I'm sure the chip can be made elsewhere. Mazda and other Japanese makes aren't the only ones being affected by general chip shortages, which is affecting computer sales, mobile phones, etc. etc.

Besides, and if you had read all of the article, this fire occurred in March 19th 2021, not 2020. New car and computer chip shortages due to the pandemic would've been around since at least June of 2020, nine months earlier. I'm sure this did not help the general situation despite them holding 1 month's supply in reserve.

Why the unjustified rudeness when I just made a reasonable comment that a salesman could've (it's not as though they've never done it before) lied to justify why they 'couldn't' give the OP a discount, despite them going for a second-hand car, not a new one?

Just need to look for an independent garage to service my Mazda. Or will Mazda offer an improved deal? CX-5 seems a bit sluggish, not much get up and go car.
Just need to look for an independent garage to service my Mazda. Or will Mazda offer an improved deal? CX-5 seems a bit sluggish, not much get up and go car.

Only consider getting it serviced at a non-Mazda garage if it's outside warranty. If you're not happy with the car's performance, look for an equivalent from another make that does and ticks the other boxes that are important to you. Not worth tryting to get an extra discount on a car you don't really want.

Note that the previous gen CX-5 only came with the 'standard' Skyactiv-G 2.0 petrol engine, which in a bigger car like that won't be brisk, but ok. The latest version of the car does, at the moment, also have the option on upper spec models for a 2.5L version of that type of engine (smaller cars like the Mazda3 and CX-30 come with the newer design 2L Skyactiv-X engine with about the same power as the 2.5 SA-G), but it sounds as though your budget won't stretch to that.

Other makes with smaller capacity but turbocharged engines (that are mostly fine reliability wise) may suit the bill. Don't rush into choosing if you don't have to. Keep an eye out for bargains at several dealers in your region - sometimes one is desperate to make a sale (especially when trying to meet a sales target or stay afloat) and you may get lucky.

My car is 2013, I bought it in 2016 with 16,000 miles now 40,000. At that time Mazda was in partnership with Bristol Street motors. I had a choice of warranty I chose Bristol Street Motors, would have been better with Mada. Your very knowledgeable, much appreciated your advice.
I had a three year warranty, from 2016. No issues since I had the car, just replaced the main/original battery.