What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - Hy Sid

About 2 months ago we made the decision to switch our second car for all electric, and about a month ago we picked up a year old, 2020 Hyundai Ioniq, Premium SE full electric. Was expecting to do something like 500-600 miles a month in it, but a month later we've somehow covered just under 1500 miles, so I thought I drop a few thoughts about the car and EV experience.

The more we drive the car, the more we like it. My wife, who normally doesn't care about a car at all as long as it goes reliably, really loves it, both as a car and the whole electric car experience. It's no sports car, but as a comfortable cruiser across town, motorway and rural roads it's great. Perfectly quick enough though, and performance is effortless to access. Massive amount of standard equipment, so not short of gadgets. Plenty of room inside and whilst the boot doesn't have a large volume, it's long and wide, so as long as we don't have to carry anything tall, it actually works as a large boot.

The general drive is so, so smooth. No gear changes, no engine noise, no fuss. Just put your foot down and go.

On the EV side, from a 38kwh battery, we see 180-200 miles from a full charge, getting over 5 miles/kwh easily. (By reputation, no other EV, save a Tesla 3, is as efficient). We considered a bigger battery/range model, but just couldn't justify the additional cost for those very occasional longer drives.

Currently using a 3 pin charger at home, so charging is slow but perfectly adequate. Will be getting a 7kw charger as soon as the house power supply is upgraded for free by Western Power. With solar panels on the house, I guess we're averaging 1-2p per mile in fuel costs, which may well improve when we get a better charger that will take the excess solar power intelligently. Charging at home and with the range the car has, we've absolutely no range anxiety.

Public charging is a bit more hit and miss, and currently if we didn't have access to charging at home I don't think I'd want an electric car in our location (semi-rural Wales). Some chargers are great, the free ones at Tesco worth a special mention. Other ones are unintuitive, can be busy or blocked. We did a weeks holiday in Pembrokeshire with the car, relying solely on public charging: It was a bit of a hassle, as it's not the most well served county for public chargers, but worked out OK. But the charger network appears to be improving rapidly and the more recent chargers are far easier to use than the older ones.

We've liked the car so much we've ended up using it in preference to our 'first' car virtually all the time, and hence the higher than anticipated miles. The petrol car (2019 Focus estate Ecoboost) now being used only for the very long journeys I can do for work, if we need to shift a lot of large stuff, or we need to use both cars together.

Overall loving both the car and the electric experience.

Edited by Hy Sid on 06/06/2021 at 20:01

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - Xileno

Great review, thanks for writing it. It will be interesting to see the charging situation in five years. One of the Harry's Garage videos on the Tesla 3 v i-Pace concluded that problem for non-Teslas is the charging infrastructure. For me a PHEV would be better.

Edited by Xileno on 06/06/2021 at 20:29

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - sammy1

""The general drive is so, so smooth. No gear changes, no engine noise, no fuss. Just put your foot down and go."""

I find my BMW is just like this you have to look at the rev counter to know that it is running.

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - craig-pd130

Very interesting, thanks for that.

Does the car take a steady 10A draw from a domestic 3-pin socket?

Yep, the car came with a charger that draws a steady 10A. (It can also be set to 6A or 8A). (Fortunately, the garage where the socket is was recently rewired).

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - craig-pd130

Yep, the car came with a charger that draws a steady 10A. (It can also be set to 6A or 8A). (Fortunately, the garage where the socket is was recently rewired).

That's what I did with my 225xe plug-in hybrid (7KW battery), there was no real advantage in me having a charging point installed.

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - expat

That is a very interesting account. Thanks for posting it. Please keep us updated with how things are going with it.

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - Sulphur Man

Interesting that you've driven far further than you anticipated (nearly three times as much).

Nissan have monitored Leaf owners and concluded that people are driving more in EVs than they were in their previous ICE cars. Your Ioniq experience so far seems to purport that behaviour.

I'm keen to know why you got to 1500 miles in one month. Is it one or more of the below?

1. Enjoyable to drive, so why not

2. Lack of expense and convenience of home-charging? Knowing that you're not dumping £1.30/litre of something into the tank to go half a dozen miles must be quite the incentive.

3. As it's so cheap and fuss-free, do you use it for very short journeys (aka the 'golf buggy effect') ?

4. Or will your mileage drop once the novelty has worn off?

We will definitely go EV when the Honda FR-V eventually saunters off to the scrapheap. But I'm concerned that EVs are going to increase car journeys, for the reasons above, and therefore congestion and road wear. Nissan's data seems to be pointing in that problematic direction...

Edited by Sulphur Man on 09/06/2021 at 10:01

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - Xileno

"Nissan's data seems to be pointing in that problematic direction..."

Novelty and costs I imagine account for most of it. The first will wear off and the second will be short-lived once the Govt. decides to fill the increasing hole left by the reduction in fuel duties and road tax.The Govt. will want the annual £28bn fuel tax from somewhere...

Hyundai Ioniq EV - First 1500 all electric miles - pd

This seems a common theme and I have heard it before both anecdotally and in surveys.

What seems to happen is people buy an EV as their second car expecting it to play second fiddle to whatever else is in the family but end up using it as their main car far more than they ever intended.

Most of this is, I think, simply because they prefer driving them.

Whatever other issues EVs have around costs, range or whatever it is difficult to deny most of them are extremely nice to drive.

I think there have been a few factors that have pushed the mileage up for us.

Firstly the novelty factor of a new car, which will wear off. Secondly we went on holiday with it and did 400 miles in a week which is unusual. Both of these are sort of 'one off' things in the short term.

Quite a lot of the additional mileage has come from us not using the 'big' petrol car. We've generally been taking the EV for journeys which go beyond the local running about, where in the past we'd have taken the big petrol car. That's partially because we want to take the zero local emission car, partially because it's a lot cheaper on fuel, and partially, as mentioned by previous post, because it's really relaxing and smooth to drive and be in. I suspect this additional mileage on the EV is here to stay, but we do corresponding less miles in the petrol car. As suggested previously, it's changing that the EV is becoming the family's first car, and the petrol one down graded.

Will we do more trips and miles overall just because it's an EV? Maybe, but if so I doubt it would be much different. Maybe an additional trip to the local town once in a while. But that's maybe 10 miles a month extra, which compared to switching say 200 miles a month from petrol to electric is pretty insignificant.