What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - Matthew Malone

Dear all,

I am a GCSE student doing a research project about 'To what extent will electric cars change transportation and the effect on the environment by 2030'. As part of it, I need to gather the opinion of the public so I have prepared a questionnaire for you to complete.

I guarantee all answers are anonymous and confidential.

Please follow the link below to participate.

I will post the results in the new year, thank you for your help.

forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=_rH52X...u

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - Gibbo_Wirral

Q6 isn't showing up right - no tick box appearing for me on Google Chrome, Windows.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - FP

Ditto - I'm on Opera and Windows 10.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - Avant

It worked OK for me (Chrome and Windows 10). 'Realistic range' should have been an option in Q7.

And I hope Matthew might tell us what the difference is between 'transportation' and 'transport'. I've never seen the need for the former word.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - FP

It's an American phenomenon, I believe.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - edlithgow

Usual "Yes but" feeling when filling in that, or, to be fair, just about any questionnaire.

And a thought surfaced.

Will there be electric bangers?

Not literally obviously, but in the sense of fully depreciated but still usable.

I'd guess not.

Still, by the time we find out I'll be pretty fully depreciated myself.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - RT

Usual "Yes but" feeling when filling in that, or, to be fair, just about any questionnaire.

And a thought surfaced.

Not literally obviously, but in the sense of fully depreciated but still usable.

I'd guess not.

There aren't any electric bangers so far - I looked at 8-10 year old EVs with no battery warranty but the market is inundated with Renault Zoes with leased batteries - at around £6,000 but with additional £50/month minimum for the battery lease so no saving on "fuel" cost for most users.

In the end I bought a 9-year old petrol Citroen C1 for £1,400

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - alan1302

And a thought surfaced.

I'd guess not.

Why would you think not?

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - Brit_in_Germany

Even if the range of the battery is reduced, there will be people happy to accept this so i don't see a problem on that front. A catastrophic failure of the inverter is a different matter. They seem to have a limited life span and the repair costs are into the thousands so probably wouldn't be justified in a "banger".

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - RT

Even if the range of the battery is reduced, there will be people happy to accept this so i don't see a problem on that front. A catastrophic failure of the inverter is a different matter. They seem to have a limited life span and the repair costs are into the thousands so probably wouldn't be justified in a "banger".

EV bangernomics has a double whammy on battery life and range - it not only will be reduced by age compared to factory-fresh but also older cars had smaller batteries and range compared to new cars.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - madf

EV bangernomics has a double whammy on battery life and range - it not only will be reduced by age compared to factory-fresh but also older cars had smaller batteries and range compared to new cars.

BUT people who buy older cars TEND to drive fewer miles. (Average UK car annual mileage c 7,500 miles/years.

Lots of short journeys around town.. 20 miles a day tops.

So what if the battery range halves from 140 miles to 70 (say).?

That will still do nicely .

(My wife and neighbours would all qualify for the above. And 99% of the time, I would)

And a thought surfaced.

I'd guess not.

Why would you think not?

I suppose I was thinking of bangernomics as dependent on DIY tinkering (which is likely to be less possible with an electric car), because that's the way I do it.

But I suppose bangernomics isn't necessarily associated with DIY. Bangernauts just navigate the gap between mass market perception and reality. They answer the question "Do you feel lucky, punk?" with "Not particularly. I'm just playing the odds".

That might continue to be possible if the market perceives old electrics to be riskier than they are.

Bangernomics, but not as I know it.

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - Bolt

I doubt that will happen, as with an MOT emissions are part of the cars roadworthiness, I suspect electrical efficiency will take its place, ie, the more miles to the KWH or something like that, the better chance it has of passing an MOT making it impossible to do any cheap repairs to a car in case the repairs make it less efficient

in other words they have a certain life then become recycled to make more efficient cars

Mind you, by then I suspect it will get to the point the only repairs you could do are body....?

Electric cars - GCSE project - questionnaire - madf

I doubt that will happen, as with an MOT emissions are part of the cars roadworthiness, I suspect electrical efficiency will take its place, ie, the more miles to the KWH or something like that, the better chance it has of passing an MOT making it impossible to do any cheap repairs to a car in case the repairs make it less efficient

in other words they have a certain life then become recycled to make more efficient cars

Mind you, by then I suspect it will get to the point the only repairs you could do are body....?

Lots of U tube videos on how to change batteries - mainly 12-15 year old Prius with NIMH batteries.

Honda IMA hybrids suffer from battery cooling fans filling up with dirt - EML lit and reduced power. Ditto You tube fixes.

And see clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12622.0;topicse...n

All you need is a little electronics and the ability to solder..

Easy peasy...(Says he who studied electronics for a year 55 years ago)

The "not as I know it" was because I'd said bangernomics didn't necessarily involve DIY.

But I can't see (unless you somehow bypass the control electronics) why a DIY repair to an electric car is necessarily going to be less efficient.

If "component coding" remains legal (which it shouldn't, but punter apathy and vested interest are likely to ensure that it will) repairs will be restricted that way, perhaps supplemented by active failure forcing, though they'd have to keep pretty quiet about the latter.

Edited by edlithgow on 19/12/2020 at 01:28