What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Noise under car when going round a roundabout - jon1974

Hi

I have a 2012 Fiesta with 72000 miles. I have started hearing a noise under the car when going round roundabouts. It only seems to happen when the road surface is quite bad. When its smooth I dont hear anything. I also can hear anything just driving in a straight line even with a poor surface. Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Thanks

Ford Fiesta - Noise under car when going round a roundabout - John F

Rattle? Squeal? Clunk? Grind? Tapping/hammering? Front or back? Side or middle? Please describe. Does it occur on the initial left-hand, the middle right-hand, the exit left hand bend, or all three? How many seconds (if more than a second) does it last for?

For a diagnosis, a careful comprehensive history is essential before any inspection or testing. But it's probably a worn suspension bush.

Ford Fiesta - Noise under car when going round a roundabout - jon1974

It seems to be a clunking sound. But it only seems to happen when turning on the roundabout and only when the road is bad. Its not a continuous noise but a clunk then a pause for maybe a second then another clunk. It also seems to happen once actually on the roundabout. I have only noticed on largest roundabouts as the small ones I am not turning for long. I realize this isnt much to go on and I probably need to go to a garage. Just wanted to get an idea what it could be.

Ford Fiesta - Noise under car when going round a roundabout - elekie&a/c doctor
These commonly suffer lower wishbone bushes/ ball joint wear that can cause this type of noise .
Ford Fiesta - Noise under car when going round a roundabout - catsdad

Each of these suggested causes can be quickly diagnosed by a garage. Call a good independent garage asking them if they will look at it if you bring it round and they might even give you a price while you wait.

Ford Fiesta - Noise under car when going round a roundabout - gordonbennet

Tin of spam :) or something rolling round in the boot or rear footwell?