What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Inconsiderate car door opening - Pondlife

The recent inconsiderate parking thread prompted me to have a moan about my latest bugbear: inconsiderate car door opening.

This seems to be getting more common around my area (SE England, just outside the M25), and I wondered if others find it a problem or if I'm just getting increasingly grumpy with age.

There are two categories:

a) Those who stop at the side of the road and leave the o/s car door open in traffic coming, forcing the traffic to give it a wide berth or stop if there's something coming the other way.

I always either let traffic pass before opening the door or if I need to get something out, I'll open the n/s door and reach across if needed. It seems both inconsiderate and dangerous to do otherwise.

b) Those who park up and open doors on both sides to hold court with their mates while they sit in the car.

This is thankfully less common, but I still see it from time to time. People (me included) have to make a detour round the car to avoid the doors obstructing the road and pavement.

Inconsiderate car door opening - Gibbo_Wirral

I often see people taking children out of car seats out of the rear offside door - into the road.

Why on earth isn't the child seat on the passenger side?

Inconsiderate car door opening - galileo

I often see people taking children out of car seats out of the rear offside door - into the road.

Why on earth isn't the child seat on the passenger side?

The road alongside our local park is usually fairly full of parked cars and is not very wide: almost every time I drive along some braindead woman will open offside door to extract infants, thereby blocking the road if there is traffic coming the other way. Not unusaul for them to do this without looking for anything approaching and near.

It may well be they have two kids in the back, but (speaking from my own experience) it is not impossible to get the nearside kid out and then climb in and remove the other, much safer but clearly too much effort for them.

Inconsiderate car door opening - TheBroker
Some people have more than one child rendering off-loading on the offside unavoidable.

With twins and a 7 yr old I have this issue
Inconsiderate car door opening - Ethan Edwards

Can I add parking your three hour old new car in a car park. Giving a sufficient gap all round to my fellow car park users. Then returning 35 minutes later to find some person had inconsiderately opened their car door left a dent (and some white paint on my blue car) on my car door and driven off into obscurity.

Thats where I thought this thread was heading.

That's why I tend to park at angles now to make other users keep their Freakin distance.

Inconsiderate car door opening - Wackyracer

That is something that really annoys me, you choose a spot at the furthest part of the car park not to have some m**** park next to you and they choose the spot next to you parking soo close to make it hard for themselves to get out and then they ram their door open into your car.

Inconsiderate car door opening - John Boy
That's why I tend to park at angles now to make other users keep their Freakin distance.

Isn't that inconsiderate parking?

Inconsiderate car door opening - KenC

This has been an offence for as long as I can remember, it is rarely prosecuted,

I think it was originally enacted to protect cyclists.

Its a good way to write off an old car if you get the chance, and now with dashcams everywhere you could even evidence your own claim/crash !

I say if your driving round in an old van or a landrover and fancy a claim for damage and distress and some fool opens the door on you then smash it shut, they will not do it again.

Inconsiderate car door opening - oldroverboy.

One of our mechanics took an xjs out for a customer and parked it on the side of the road, opened the door and promptly had it removed by a passing lorry.

we managed to get a new door fitted in 48 hours and didn't tell the customer, (not my decision) bodyshop worked all night and all next day,

Inconsiderate car door opening - Avant

It's been a problem for a long time. As a child in the 50s I was much amused by a road safety film showing a man parking his Austin Eight, opening the door and having it smartly taken off by a Bentley driven by (I think) James Robertson Justice.

I can still visualise this indignant little man standing in the road holding his door.

Inconsiderate car door opening - Bolt

The recent inconsiderate parking thread prompted me to have a moan about my latest bugbear: inconsiderate car door opening.

This seems to be getting more common around my area (SE England, just outside the M25), and I wondered if others find it a problem or if I'm just getting increasingly grumpy with age.

There are two categories:

a) Those who stop at the side of the road and leave the o/s car door open in traffic coming, forcing the traffic to give it a wide berth or stop if there's something coming the other way.

I always either let traffic pass before opening the door or if I need to get something out, I'll open the n/s door and reach across if needed. It seems both inconsiderate and dangerous to do otherwise.

b) Those who park up and open doors on both sides to hold court with their mates while they sit in the car.

This is thankfully less common, but I still see it from time to time. People (me included) have to make a detour round the car to avoid the doors obstructing the road and pavement.

I live just inside M25 near Bromley and around schools in the morning and afternoon all the above happen.

none of the drivers give a damn,ie parents drive as they please, park the same and open doors when they feel like it, including doing 3- 4 point turns where the kids cross and hold up all the traffic in the process

Roll on school holidays

Inconsiderate car door opening - RT

That's something that's baffled me in recent years - by far the most frequent risk to children going to/from school is from parent drivers, usually with children at the same school - but they won't accept any criticism of their driving standards/manners.

Inconsiderate car door opening - Wackyracer

but they won't accept any criticism of their driving standards/manners.

One of the many times I was taken out by a works driving assessor, he said you can make fun of a persons football team, their appearance and various other things but, they will never accept criticism of their driving no matter how constructive.

Inconsiderate car door opening - Bolt

but they won't accept any criticism of their driving standards/manners.

One of the many times I was taken out by a works driving assessor, he said you can make fun of a persons football team, their appearance and various other things but, they will never accept criticism of their driving no matter how constructive.

A lot of drivers have no manners at all, all they are concerned with is getting from a to b without hitting another vehicle

Inconsiderate car door opening - drd63

Here goes then, I'm just going to adopt the brace position against the deluge of vitriol from the demographic I'm about to offend. So, from my point of view the most common inconsiderate door opening falls into the category of other drivers opening their door and clobbering my car. On two recent occassions I've actually been sat in my car when the culprit has parked next to me and opened their door hitting my car quite hard in the process, no effort to try and hold the door clear or rest it gently against mine - here's the issue in both cases and others observed it's older people without adequate mobility and in both cases when challenged they seemed to think it's acceptable to open their door against my car. Of course if more people could adopt the technique of parking by alternating between nose in, back in and keeping it tight on the passenger side we'd all have more room to get in and out, just a thought.

Inconsiderate car door opening - groaver

Of course if more people could adopt the technique of parking by alternating between nose in, back in and keeping it tight on the passenger side we'd all have more room to get in and out, just a thought.

Ah, but Ada would just do the same to you coming out the passenger door...

Inconsiderate car door opening - RT

Here goes then, I'm just going to adopt the brace position against the deluge of vitriol from the demographic I'm about to offend. So, from my point of view the most common inconsiderate door opening falls into the category of other drivers opening their door and clobbering my car. On two recent occassions I've actually been sat in my car when the culprit has parked next to me and opened their door hitting my car quite hard in the process, no effort to try and hold the door clear or rest it gently against mine - here's the issue in both cases and others observed it's older people without adequate mobility and in both cases when challenged they seemed to think it's acceptable to open their door against my car. Of course if more people could adopt the technique of parking by alternating between nose in, back in and keeping it tight on the passenger side we'd all have more room to get in and out, just a thought.

Blame the car makers and town planners! Some car doors "spring" into a hold position with a force that's too much for the less able. Cars are about a foot (30cm) wider than when the recommended sizes for parking spaces were devised and never updated.

Inconsiderate car door opening - TR7

Reminds me of the time whilst eating my whopper burger in a Halfords car park some incosiderate plank parked beside me. He got out of his car smashing his door into my passenger side and walked off. I jumped out and shouted what are you doing he ignored me so I smeered my burger over his windscreen and door handle and left it under his wiper.

Inconsiderate car door opening - oldroverboy.

Reminds me of the time whilst eating my whopper burger in a Halfords car park some incosiderate plank parked beside me. He got out of his car smashing his door into my passenger side and walked off. I jumped out and shouted what are you doing he ignored me so I smeered my burger over his windscreen and door handle and left it under his wiper.

I must admit here that a long long time ago in a far away place, I used my wifes nail varnish and left a long note on the windscreen.