What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - ECU Charge Control Kaput - Cyd

I have a friend with a 2003 Focus 1.8. The battery isn't charging (it's new) and we believe the alternator is okay. I seem to remember that the charging is controlled by an ecu and that it's a common problem for these to die.

Anyone know if this is the case and what can be done to repair without having to mortgage the kids

Ford Focus - ECU Charge Control Kaput - elekie&a/c doctor

The smart charge system on Fords allows the charging voltage to peak at around 16 volts,that is why it is important to use a calcium battery.Alternator output is controlled by the engine ecu but is very rarely the problem.The system needs to be checked correctly,especially the 3-pin connector that is attached to the alternator.One of the wires is a battery voltage sense line,if this is broken or a poor signal,then the system will not operate correctly.Most of the charging faults on late Fords are usually wiring or alternator problems.hth

Ford Focus - ECU Charge Control Kaput - Cyd

Thanks for that. I'll pass it on.

If she asks me to check it over for her then where does this wire go back to so I can check the continuity? Is the engine ecu actually in the engine bay or buried under the dash somewhere?

I've never touched a Focus before, how do I check the alternator on these?

Ford Focus - ECU Charge Control Kaput - elekie&a/c doctor

The engine ecu is partly in the engine bay and partly in the cabin.It is mounted in the bulkhead/firewall.All the basic tests are done at the alternator with a test light and meter..One of the small pins in the 3 pin plug should br battery voltage.For more conclusive tests will need a scope.hth