What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - jonny10buds

I'm about to buy a 2001 X Mk3 Mondeo, right hand drive and UK registered, however when I did a HPI it came up as a 'Ford 12M 15M'.

I remember Taunus (Ford of Germany) did a range known as the M from 1952 until around 1971 but the Taunus name ceased to be used in 1994.

I'm thinking this Mondeo may have been on a British Forces base in Germany when it was new, has anyone got any other ideas?

Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - Mike H

If it's got all the correct UK paperwork, does it matter? Or are you concerned that the paperwork is forged?

Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - RT

If it's got all the correct UK paperwork, does it matter? Or are you concerned that the paperwork is forged?

When the car is eventually sold on, the next potential owner may do an HPI check, get the same answer with no explanation and make it much harder to sell on.

Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - madf

Your insurance company will check teh Reg against the DVLA database: Not a UK car? No insure...

Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - Mike H

A quick google only comes up with the Taunus connection. It looks like a mistake clearly. What does the V5 say with regard to make & model? And do the details of the owner match up?

I haven't seen the V5 yet, I get to see that on Tuesday, the last owner says her insurance company struggled to find it at first but insured it in the end, she's been driving it for 2 years.

It doesn't bother me, yes it has a V5, is MOT'd and taxed, just a point of interest.

Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - Galaxy

You could try putting the registration number into the Ford Etis website. This might tell you a bit more about the car you are looking to purchase.

www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid...0

Ford Mondeo - Ford 12M 15M - jc2

The 12M/15M were front wheel drive and were in production at the same time as the Mk.1 Cortina-larger "M" range were RWD and were from 1.8 to 2.6 litre. and were replaced by the Granada.There was also a South African version of th "M" range fitted with "Essex" engines upto and including the three litre.