What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 - 7K to spend - chanlfc

Hi, I have approx 7k to spend on a used car, I have a year 2000 Audi A4 and has gone beyond 260,000 miles in (petrol). Which makes me think another Audi A4 S-line would be nice. But everywhere I read are sugesting a BMW 3 series. Of course I will able to get a newer car for the money with a AUDI, but any recomendations?, i'm willing to listen to any other suggestionsabout other makes i.e. Honda Accord? Mondeo? I do mostly motorway drinving around 20K per year. Thank you

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - Happy Blue!

Do you specifically need or want a four door saloon? I happen to like them, but you may find a wider selection of hatchbacks.

For 20,000 miles a year a diesel would be a sensible option as well. How important is fuel economy to you, compared to things like comfort, noise, ride etc etc?

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - countryroads

Another A4 fan yay!

You may find an S line overly hard compared to any B5 shape A4, but have a test drive. If you want a petrol one, the strongest was still the original 1.8T for as long as they made it, in any flavour better than the 2.0FSi etc. You will face bigger bills from a later one in my experience, although not wildly and I would much rather have one than a 3 series but that is just my opinion.

Diesel wise they all have their individual issues so I suggest a Google about PD injectors, oil pumps, Multitronic, DSG etc (get a cast iron warranty for a diesel/auto one).

I would hunt out a low mileage 1.8T Quattro in whatever spec level you fancy.

Other cars are very nice too, but I live in Audi land !

Good hunting!

Edited by countryroads on 31/12/2012 at 13:39

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - chanlfc

Thanks for your replies, yep I am a Audi fan, but not fanatical by any means. Economy is important, so maybe that Quattro is out of the question. My wife pointed out a lexud is250 to me on the way back from Curry's. hmmmm looks nice and probably fully loaded with optional extras, surely will be reliable. Still hunting and shall let you know how I get on. any other suggesstions are always welcome. Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone.

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - Avant

You need to try a 3-series and compare it with your Audi: which you prefer will depend on your style of driving. As you drive mostly on motorways the BMW's sharper handling on twisty B-roads may not be too relevant: Audis encoursge a more relaxed approach.

Bear in mind that if you want an Audi you'll get a mechanically similar Skoda Octavia for less money, or a newer one for your £7,000. As Happy Blue says, diesel may suit your highish mileage - but beware of the 2.0 PD engine in VW Group cars, which can need expensive repairs when mileage is high. The 1.9 PD and the later common-rail diesel have fewer problems.

The Honda Accord is a good car; petrols seem to be more reliable than diesels, and the same goes for the Mazda 6.

Personally in your position I'd go for an A4 or Octavia with the 1.8T petrol engine, which if you drive at the legal limit should give you 40 mpg on motorways.

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - Chris79
I think you need to take a long test drive in the a4 and also the 3 series. I test drove a 320d prior to purchasing my 2010 a4 2.0 tdi and found it to be an inferior car. This goes against all the motoring press, however I thought;

1) it was cramped inside compared to an a4
2) all this nonsense about the ultimate driving machine, well yes if you are driving the car at the limit then I'm sure that the rwd layout makes itself known but around the town or on the motorway...no.
3)it's more expensive to buy.

The interior of an a4 is just as nice a place to sit as a 3 series.

As for the technical merit of each marque more qualified people than me will comment. All I can say is in the 28k I have done I ve had no problems and on motorway runs at a good speed I get 51 mpg.

Happy hunting

Glad to see someone else who doesn't think,as the press do, that an A4 / 3-series comparison is a pushover for the BMW. For reasons best known to themselves, most road testers (though not HJ and his team) put a lot of emphasis on a car's handling on twisty B-roads - whereas for many of us this isn't what we do every day. There's no doubt that you get the best out of a BMW when you drive it to its limits, but the more relaxed style of an Audi / VW / Skoda suits me better most of the time.

I had a test drive in a 330d Touring the other day. Sure, it was a lovely car with effortless performance, and the ride on run-flats seemed fine to me. I expected a 'back to earth with a bump' feeling when I got back into my Octavia vRS....but no, the Skoda wasn't disgraced and in normal driving the BMW's margin of superiority isn't nearly as great as the price difference would suggest.

My biggest problem with the 3-series is perhaps my own fault (yet I'm comfortable in most other cars I've driven in 45 years): I'm the wrong shape for it. I'm 5'7", with an average-sized body but shortish legs. In the 3-series I can't get the steering wheel far enough away from me, or low enough, to be comfortable with the pedals, however I adjust the seat. It's a little reminiscent of the driving position in a Ford Popular - 'sit up and beg'.

If that's the first time in this forum that a 3-series has been likened to a Ford Popular, so be it....

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - LikedDrivingOnce

I don't often post these days, but this thread is very interesting with excellent contributions throughout.

My last two cars have been BMW and Audi so I echo the general advice that it is difficult to choose between the two - it comes down to personal taste. Some musings though, FWIW.

* Audi manual gearboxes are much nicer to use than BMW, but BMW automatic boxes are much better than Audi. DSG ("S-tronic") has some reliability issues. Multitronic is either just rubbish, or brilliant depending on your view. (A marmite thing!).
* Audi petrol engines are very good, but the 2.0 litre can sometimes be a heavy consumer of oil. Someone up-thread who obviously knows his stuff recommended the 1.8T. Excellent choice! Great all rounder.
* BMW 6 cylinder petrols are great, but 4-pots are fairly "ho-hum". Not what you expect in the Ultimate Driving Machine.
* Audi diesels are very good. BMW diesels are brilliant. Better accelleration, better flexibility and better fuel economy.
* Audis are much more handsome than BMW's both inside and out, in my opinion. (This is VERY personal, I know)
* Audis give you slightly better secondary kit than BMW (e.g. radio, cruise control, split-fold rear seats as standard)
* To my shock, I have found routine running costs much more expensive on Audis than BMW. A lot of Audi engines have a timing belt - that's an expensive bit of maintenance. BMW's use chains "sealed for life".
* Audis are more spacious, but they are more difficult to park at the supermarket, especially when every other car these days seems to be an off-roader or MPV!
* In day-to-day driving I agree that most people cannot tell the difference in handling betwen BMW and Audi, but A BMW does drive better. I notice it, even though I don't claim to be an enthusiast.
* Ride quality is a personal thing, but I prefer BMW. Some people are happy with S-line suspension, but I think it is too hard for our rubbish roads.

If the only two cars in the world were an A4 saloon and a 3-series saloon, then I would go for the Audi.

But.....there are more than two cars in the world.

Audi's biggest problem is that a cooking model with a 1.8 petrol or 2.0 Diesel engine can be compared directly to an equivalent offering from Seat/Skoda/VW. Yes, the plastics are a bit nicer in the Audi and the dealers more comfortable to wait in while your pride and joy is being repaired, but the premium for all this is a large one. You may think it worth it, and I make no bones about being blunt that for some getting the badge is all-important.

However for my money, I'd go for the Skoda equivalent. All the important bits are the same, and Skoda dealers are considered by motoring surveys to be amongst the best that there is.

Edited by LikedDrivingOnce on 03/01/2013 at 23:06

The post above mirrors some of the thoughts I am having. As I said I have a 2010 a4 and it is genuinely a nice place to be. Audi has offered me a new a4 avant for the same price a month as I am currently paying, albeit with a slightly higher final payment. However I have been looking at offerings from Kia and Hyundai and I find myself wondering whether the a4 or BMW/merc is worth the extra money. Comparing a new pre reg i40 tourer against an a4 avant the price difference is 5k even with a good discount on the a4.

Yet the i40 has a 5 year warranty.....

List prices of Hyundais and Kias will be less, but see what sort of PCP deal you might be offered: it may not be all that much better than on an Audi as Korean cars - perhaps undeservedly - lose their value faster.

I've always been impressed by the PCP deals we get on SWMBO's successive Minis - they appear expensive to buy but a low-mileage 2-year-old Mini can still be worth 80 % of original cost.

Audi A4 - 7K to spend - jamie745

So much for the 'car is dead after 100k' mentality eh.

Avant. I always thought that Audi s had excellent residual values. However after 27 months I have been offered roughly 50% of the list price as a p/x. Audi are offering 3700 off a new car subject to taking Audi finance and if you buy from drive the deal ths becomes 5100. This must be impacting the second hand value of my car.

I noted that Kia don't seem to sell on drive the deal and on the basis of my experience appear reluctant to discount heavily.
Audi A4 - 7K to spend - countryroads

The margins the dealers have to play with at Hyundai and Kia are much lower as a percentage than the German brands, of course to make money but also to discourage Ford and Citroen style 'giving them away' to keep the residuals as good as they can be (they know they are still working at the market, so its important)

Agree with a lot of the views above, car for car I much prefer an Audi to a BMW, but of course very personal choice.