What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - TTToommy

Have been using the Comparison sites to get insurance quotes for a 2009 Ford focus - I'm amazed that as the car has rear parking sensors that around 80% of the insurance companies that quoted when I didn't include the sensors refused to quote when I included them - they were an extra on my model years but standard on the new model year (6 months later)

Insurance Companies really need to sort themselves out as far as I'm concerned - new whale tail wings or a turbo fitted is a mod IMHO but this is silly

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - RT

Car insurance isn't logical - the insurance provided by one of the caravanning clubs, can't remember which one, perversely regards a towbar as a modification !

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - skidpan

Don't bother with comparrison sites, they are very expensive. Speak to the insurance company direct and tell them you have reverse sensors fitted, likelyhood is they won't be bothered.

Once tried a comparrison site for the wifes car, Aviva was cheapest by far. Rang Aviva direct, saved £60.

Most comparison sites are owned by big insurance groups - wonder why their companies always do well?

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - Canon Fodder

I agree with the above - comparison sites have had their day.

Call Direct Line - they are sensible

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - Ethan Edwards

OP - that is utterly insane. Rear sensors are a 'mod' that will reduce the possibility of you backing into something and potentially making a claim. They should be LOWERING your premium for fitting them not increasing it.

Are you certain they understood what you meant and didn't mistake it for rear bull bars or something?

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - TTToommy

No, It was a tick box - so rear parking sensors cannot be confused with anything - on a similar note, nigh on impossible to get insurance quotes withfitting bog standard wheels as opposede to expensive alloys IF I have winter tyres fitted in winter - they are ruddy bonkers aren't they/

Also had to get No Claims discount proof from the same address as which I then had to send it to with my "new" insurer - these are the insurers who say they "share" information

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - TeeCee

Also had to get No Claims discount proof from the same address as which I then had to send it to with my "new" insurer - these are the insurers who say they "share" information

Presumably they mean they share it with claims farmers, not each other.

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - Big John

I always have the same problem. My Octavia is retro fitted with Parking Sensors which are classed as a modification.

On discussing this with my insurance company they said the worst car to correctly insure is the Mini due to the number of customisation/option packs.

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - Chris M

Two cars, one with parking sensors and one without. Both get rear ended resulting in the need for a new bumper. Which costs more to repair? Which should pay the higher premium?

I'd also contend that the car with parking sensors is more likely to be driven by someone who doesn't know how to reverse using mirrors and, horror of horrors, moving their neck!

I'd also contend that the car with parking sensors is more likely to be driven by someone who doesn't know how to reverse using mirrors and, horror of horrors, moving their neck!

Many of us choose cars, for other reasons, which just happen to have rear parking sensors.

Few cars have mirrors so that you can see directly behind you at low level - the grey import Japanese vans are the exception - you must have a helluva neck if you can see your rear bumper from within the car !

"you must have a helluva neck if you can see your rear bumper from within the car"

Not really. I have a good look before I start reversing and continue whilst reversing. No need for an annoying bleep or buzzer then. I wonder how many of the drivers you see reversing out of parking spaces in supermarket car parks are relying on sensors as so many appear to have neck problems so bad, they can't even use their mirrors, let alone look over their shoulder.

And when I see parking sensors fitted to i10s, Picantos and similar, I really do wonder at the ability of some drivers.

Edited by Chris M on 14/12/2012 at 12:49

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - Ethan Edwards

Sorry ChrisM your just wrong.

No human being can physically see a small child crouched down close behind a SUV eg a old Jeep Cherokke (as small children are prone to do when playing).

Unless you get out of your seat and (each and every time without fail), check each time you reverse, then your just deluding yourself.

And when your in a hurry, or tired or it's cold/ wet then maybe just that once that you should have checked and you didn't and ....thump bang....dead kiddie.

I sincerely hope you don't EVER find out just how that makes you feel.

OTOH -Sensors will bleep to alert you of an obstruction the moment you engage reverse. Not a tough choice is it.

So IMO it's a safety issue. The insurers in this case are pricing for income at the expense of child safety and I think HJ should make a representation to the ABI and get this practice changed.

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - madf

ChrisM writes understandably but I am afraid it's rubbish..

Anyone over 60 is likely to have mobility problems in bacjk and neck.. Parking sensors help a great deal.

Just wait till Chris is over 65 and is not allowed to drive as his neck is stiff and he has no parking sensors:-)

When I'm 65 (and that isn't really that far away) and can't turn my neck, I may welcome them and I can see the point of them on cars with poor visability. A Picanto does not have poor visability and neither do many cars fitted with them. I still maintain that too many drivers rely on them and don't make the checks that an able fit driver should be making. Just spending a few minutes in a supermarket car park will prove the point.

And to say that it would save the life of a child may well be true, but many more children would be saved if we all slowed down whilst driving on roads where they may be walking/playing. Maybe we need sensors on the front that can spot them so that otherwise fit drivers don't need to stay alert to the danger.

Technology should be there as a fail safe, not as an excuse for lazy driving.

Technology should be there as a fail safe, not as an excuse for lazy driving.

That's down to the way that drivers use their available facilities - after all brakes are only needed as a failsafe in case slowing down in good time isn't enough to avoid an accident.

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - madf

Technology should be there as a fail safe, not as an excuse for lazy driving."

No doubt a comment first applied to :

Power assisted steering

Air conditioning.

Electric windows

Electric heated windows.

Automatic transmission

Self dipping rear veiw mirrors

Electric seats

Self tuning radios.

Luddites all :-)

Edit

add to the list::-

collision avoidance systems

ABS

etc

Edited by madf on 14/12/2012 at 18:48

car Insurance - what counts as body modifications - Hamsafar

This is nothing new, I remember in 1989 someone fitting a second foglight into the blanking plate on an Austin Metro rear bumper, the Vaden Plas model had two, they got it from a breakers yard. When getting a quote, it was declared but the insurance co. wouldn't quote unless they removed it.

"Power assisted steering

Air conditioning.

Electric windows

Electric heated windows.

Automatic transmission

Self dipping rear veiw mirrors

Electric seats

Self tuning radios."

Apart from the HRW, I don't see any of those as directly safety related. And anyway, a HRW isn't needed if you have rear parking sensors.

"add to the list::-

collision avoidance systems

ABS"

My journey to work is mostly dual carriageway and motorway. Several times a week and too often, several times a day, there will be cars on the hard shoulder where the above have not helped the driver avoid a collision. The technology has not helped the idiot driver who seems to think that it enables them to follow too close to the car in front. The systems instil a feeling of 'if I cock up, the car will save me'. It so often doesn't. It won't be long before it will be commonplace for cars to see ahead and be able to avoid a collision. Great, bring it on. The reality will be more drivers getting in, pressing the start button, press the loud peddle and disengage brain.