What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen c5 HDi VTR+Nav Saloon 2010 plate - Could you tell me who is at fault here please? - notimetoulouse

Hi everyone, grab a coffee, this could take a bit...

I bought this car with 16k on the clock 11 months ago from a well known car supermarket. The car performed effortlessly and without a single issue until June this year (2012).

On starting the car early in the morning, the 'STOP - Low oil Pressure' light came on. Engine sounded perfect, oil up to the mark. AA arrived and although he couldn't diagnose the actual fault, he hinted at a possible sensor issue.

Car AA'd to local main Citroen dealer who said they needed it for 'a couple of days'. They couldn't tell me what the issue might be.

Confused at that, I phoned my local independent Citroen garage, who told me it was a known fault with the oil filter...it needs to be 'lined up' correctly or problems occur and the main dealer would sort it.

Two days later I collected the car. Dealer had changed the oil and filter and told me that had fixed the light and it was ok to drive.

That night I left for Scotland, and 2 miles south of Gretna the STOP oli pressure low light flashed on for about a second and the car dropped into what I thought was limp home mode, all power gone. Stopped and asked for the AA, who turned up and diagnosed a seized engine.

Car taken back to Main Dealer who (after a lot of argy bargy) submitted it to Citroen who agreed to replace the engine under warranty. (warranty saved me £7k inc labour and VAT).

Collected car, which gradually over the next few weeks lost power, and acceleration, plus the engine tickover note changed from the normally silent whirr, to a clackety 'pre turbo' diesel engine sound.

Back to main dealer who diagnosed a failed dual mass flywheel. Again Citroen agreed to sort it under warranty. In doing so, the garage also found the clutch to be faulty and that was changed at the same time (warranty saved me £1.5k inc labour and VAT).

The car was back to its best after that, totally silent on the road and once again a very satisfying drive.

I've woken up this morning to find a grapefruit sized patch of oily rusty water on my drive, underneath the near side front of the engine, and checking the engine oil, I've found it has used approx 2 litres over an 1100 mile period.

I really don't know what to do now. I know I can take it back to the dealer and demand it be 'put right' but ever since they've first touched this car it has just developed more and more issues - I have lost trust completely in the C5 - and the main dealer.

I am due to take it to Belgium in a few weeks and I really worry about that, in fact I can't take it, it's just too much of a risk.

I'm aware of the Sale of Goods act, but this issue is not the fault of the seller, but of faults that have occurred afterwards, so rejection is out. The car has had nearly all the front end replaced under warranty, (I have six months left on that), and now it looks like there is another issue causing a leak of rusty fluid from 'somewhere' in the engine bay plus a missing two litres of oil.

If you have any advice or insights into this nightmare I would truly appreciate your advice as to a way forward.

I'm left with a car that went into a garage with a simple fault, and been left with something that I have no trust in whatsoever, and which continues to manifest faults.

I hope that someone, somewhere can point me in the right direction...the easiest thing would be to 'take the hit' and put it in part chop for another car, but someone else would then see this quite attractive beast on a forecourt, buy into it, and inherit the same nightmare, and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, let alone a complete stranger.

OK, after a bit of reflection, maybe my worst enemy.

If you can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edited by notimetoulouse on 17/11/2012 at 20:37

Citroen c5 HDi VTR+Nav Saloon 2010 plate - Could you tell me who is at fault here please? - Dwight Van Driver

I can only come to the conclusion that you beef is still with the company that sold you the dud. Probably a session with Trading Standards to fully update on your rights then back to them under tyhe warranty.

dvd

Citroen c5 HDi VTR+Nav Saloon 2010 plate - Could you tell me who is at fault here please? - Avant

So far the dealer and Citroen have honoured the warranty, so you should take it back again and get it repaired. Then, if you've lost faith in it, flog it with a clear conscience: after all, some parts have been replaced which won't have been on other 2010 cars, so don't worry about a subsequent buyer who will anyway get the rest of the warranty.