What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford mondeo III tdci - Injector issues - what to look out for - Car

Good morning

I am considering purchsing a Mondeo TDCI, my only concern is the issue regarding injectors and injection pump these can sometimes suffer. The car I am looking at has 100,000 miles on the clock and comes with fully stamped service history, the other one has aprox 20,000 less miles and is ten months younger, both cars up at the same price.

(1) Is there any way of telling if the injectors are needing repacement ? If so what signs do I look out for on them?

(2) I have heard the injector issue is down to the quality of fuel being used, so no using supermarket diesel then ?

Thanks

ford mondeo III tdci - Injector issues - what to look out for - Peter.N.

The only indication of fuel rail pressure problems which can be caused by pump or injectors is poor starting, if the car starts immediately without problem it should be OK - at the moment, you don't normally get problems until the pressure becomes critical.

Regarding fuel, I run Citroen/Peugeot Hdi which have similar engines and use supermarket fuel and have not had any problems, one of my cars has done over 200,000 miles and the other about 150,000 and as far as I know neither have had injector or pump problems - but it can happen.

ford mondeo III tdci - Injector issues - what to look out for - Car

The only indication of fuel rail pressure problems which can be caused by pump or injectors is poor starting, if the car starts immediately without problem it should be OK - at the moment, you don't normally get problems until the pressure becomes critical.

Regarding fuel, I run Citroen/Peugeot Hdi which have similar engines and use supermarket fuel and have not had any problems, one of my cars has done over 200,000 miles and the other about 150,000 and as far as I know neither have had injector or pump problems - but it can happen.

Thanks, if the injectors are a problem do they show up whether starting from cold, warm o or hot. A friend said look at the injectors on top of the engine and see if they are leaking?

I'm sure in HJ report it says that use of supermarket fuel on the Mondeo caused some of the issues with the injectors,

ford mondeo III tdci - Injector issues - what to look out for - dieselnut

Hot starting puts the fuel system to the best test. The fuel will be at a lower viscosity & any tolerances in the fuel system components will be at their greatest, so attaining sufficient pressure to allow a start is at its hardest.

I only ever use the cheapest fuel available which is usually supermarket & don't add any other gloop & never had any fuel problems. Some others would probably disagree.

There should be no leaks whatsoever showing up in the fuel system.

Edited by dieselnut on 10/09/2012 at 11:36