What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - waz777

I do about 40/50miles per day. Looking for a spacious sort of small family car. I am unsure which one of the above to go for.

Fabia got VW engine are a good for reliability and mpg, ant thouhts on this please?

What anout Mazda and its reliability and mpg in current cliamate?

FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - Engineer Andy

As an owner of a Mazda3 (although the previous version - not too many differences in the mechanical bits though), you may want to consider (as with the Fabia) choosing a 1.6 petrol (or equivalent 100-110bhp from the VAG range), given you'll only be doing 40-50 miles per day, as the diesel is approx. £2k more expensive, costs more to service and insure and (older diesels in the Mazda3 renage at least) are susceptable to the same problems as many others, given that its a PSA/Ford-sourced unit. The Mazda3 is generally very reliable and good handling (better on the newer one with improved sound insulation).

The petrol unit (mine is a 1.6) is fine, though the newer models from 2006 are slower (0-60mph in 12-12.5s instead of 11.5s for mine) to get in lower VED CO2 groups. The saloon has a larger boot (approx. 400 ltr as opposed to 340 ltr) than the hatch, but has a relatively small boot opening and you may find it difficult to load large "cube-shaped" boxes (suitcases are fine).

The Fabia probably won't have the issues over load space (I think its bigger than both at 480 ltr), which is in its favour, but isn't as good looking.

Have a look through HJ's car-by-car breakdown reviews and the "real-world" mpg data on the website for both. Best of luck.

FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - unthrottled

50 miles/day is ~25,000 p.a. Deep in diesel territory. I've spent quite a bit of time in a Fabia 1.9 (albeit VRS version) and it is a superb commuter car. It's a Mini Cooper beater that will easily do 60 to a gallon. What more could you want? A quiter idle and better looks! Still, you can live with it.

FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - Avant

I think an unthrottled year is a bit longer than for the rest of us throttled mortals: unless you're doing this journey at weekends as well and having no holiday, your annual mileage is going to be more like 15,000, which is just on the borderline of whether diesel is worth it.

I'm not sure what your budget is - new or used - but if a diesel isn't much more expensive, think about a Fabia 1.9 TD or perhaps a Focus diesel. If you want the Mazda, definitely go for the petrol.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2012 at 12:34

FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - unthrottled

Crikey. How did I arrive at that figure?! You're quite right. I must have done 500 miles/week*50 weeks-not what was written by OP. Whoops!

FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - Engineer Andy

Not to worry. I did the calc back in the day (2005/6) when cars were cheap and fuel not too bad! Glad I picked the petrol Mazda3, as there's been quite a few problems with the diesel.

FORD & MAZDA - MAZDA 3 1.6D or FABIA ESTATE 1.9TDI/1.4TDI - car67

I've owned a 2009 Mazda 3, 1.6 petrol from new, and have never received any better that 34 MPG. I'm not an over careful driver, but the car seems very underpowered. I can only get roughly 380 miles from a tank. I think this is fairly poor consumption and something that has bothered me since I received the car.

The Mazda is a great car to drive, never any problems with it - but it sees me trading it in against a focus or fiesta diesel for fuel economy mainly. Oh, meant to say - I did read reviews that that diesels were not much better for MPG, or else I would be sticking to Mazda. Good Luck.