What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate (Petrol) - Spark Plugs on Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate - Schmoo27

Hi All

Is it possible for part of the porcelain of a spark plug to disintegrate and fall into the engine, causing a low sounding rattling/flapping noise? My garage think so, despite the engine having been reconditioned 3 weeks ago (and only 260 miles driven). are spark plugs normally changed when reconditioning an engine?

Many thanks

Kev

Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate (Petrol) - Spark Plugs on Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate - craig-pd130

Spark plugs can fail & bits drop into the cylinder, but it's very, very rare.

Have they removed the spark plugs to see if any bits have fallen off, or are they just listening to the noise and guessing?

Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate (Petrol) - Spark Plugs on Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate - Collos25

Ask them for the spark plug in question, personnallyI think they are covering up a problem they themselves have caused.

Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate (Petrol) - Spark Plugs on Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate - Schmoo27
That's what I am thinking, but without knowing a lot about cars, I'm at a loss.

As for the other spark plugs, I will be asking for them but I doubt that they will have kept them.

I just find their theory about the spark plugs being the issue as nonsense as they were new less than 4000 miles ago, and the noise is like a constant ticking/flapping noise whereas if it were a bit of a spark plug floating around then surely that would make a rattling, irregular noise?
Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate (Petrol) - Spark Plugs on Ford Mondeo Mk3 03 Estate - Collos25

I have never ever known a spark plug fall apart in 50 years of motoring.