What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus (2004) - Squeal on Start-up - IneptPig

Hi all,

I've bought a second hand Focus that squeals on start-up; it's only for a couple of seconds and then the car is silent and normal (and if you re-start whilst it's warm it won't make any noise) - the garage I bought it from suggests that once it's had a good run it should stop doing this; but I just wanted to double check that this is probably the case - it passed it's MOT before the sale so all should be fine, in theory?

I have 12 months warranty on the car, so can easily take it back and demand that they fix this - but currently it's just a minor irritant, and thought I'd check and see if it could be hiding anything more sinister.

Thanks

Ford Focus (2004) - Squeal on Start-up - madf

The auxiliary belt which drives the alternator (and more?) is loose or worn. A competent mechanic should be able to replace or retension it in 5 minutes.

Demand they fix it... It could be that the alternaor bearings are on the way out, or the water pump is seizing. (unlikely but.£££s)

It's their problem.

the garage I bought it from suggests that once it's had a good run it should stop doing this

The phrase for this is "male cow excrement" or more colloquially..

Edited by madf on 26/04/2012 at 18:03

Ford Focus (2004) - Squeal on Start-up - unthrottled

he garage I bought it from suggests that once it's had a good run it should stop doing this

You mean ancillary belts don't benefit from an Italian tune-up'? Perhaps it needs oiling?! I was hoping that Italian tune-ups woul extend my cam belt change intervals too.

Ford Focus (2004) - Squeal on Start-up - Waino

A similar squeal developed on my son's Corsa; it was particularly noticeable when it hadn't been used for a few days. I assumed that when the battery was 'flatter', then a bigger load was put upon the alternator. The squeal was cured by fitting a new belt.

Ford Focus (2004) - Squeal on Start-up - IneptPig

Thanks for the replies - I've learned a new term in 'Italian Tune-up' and will use that to excuse my driving on various journeys...

As I have the warranty I'll take it to a garage and get them to fix it up, just thought it would be worth a double check online.

Cheers

Ford Focus (2004) - Squeal on Start-up - MikeTorque

If the auxiliary belt which drives the alternator is worn then an 'Italian Tune-up' is the WORSE thing you can do cus the belt is more likely to suddenly disintegrate & snap and then you'll be stuffed. Best to get the belt changed ASAP.