What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord - 20k miles a year... £4k to spend - coombsfh

I have been rethinking my situation and I believe that an Accord 2.2 diesel represents great value for money in the £4k range.

Good spec, good economy, no real niggles (manifolds and door rattles).

What does everyone think?

Honda Accord - 20k miles a year... £4k to spend - balleballe

I too was/am considering an accord diesel

There are a few things to look out for - check the 'typeaccord' forum

The part that worries me is the clutch is a known weak point and the timing chain will need replacing eventually (expensive job)

Honda Accord - 20k miles a year... £4k to spend - paulvm

Do not hesitate, go and buy one! I ran an Accord Tourer 2.2 Diesel for 4 years and 120,000 miles. It only ever needed its planned services, so check the service history and carry on with them. It was a great car with no issues or problems. I still see it running around after part exchanging it for a CRV.

Can I ask what reg year it was?

Yes, it was an 06 in EX spec.. Bought new and kept for just over 4 years and 120,000 miles. This included several major trips across bits of Europe. I have to say that the CRV, a 10 plate, 2.2 diesel again, is now on 40,000 miles, and looking just as good.

Excellent - much appreciated

I take it you have the i-dtec in the CRV? How does it compare to the previous diesel engine?

Yes indeed, it does have the newer version of the diesel engine. It offers smoother performance over the CDTi, and is very responsive, also like a petrol, but with that extra torque. Fuel consumption is averaging just over 38, against 40 for the Accord Tourer. Given the extra weight and shape of the CRV then I am more than happy.