What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE [VSA] - Jazz 1.2 Juddering at first gear - Ian2012

I bought an used Honda Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE [VSA] (a little over 2 years old with a 59 number plate, manual transmission) from a main Honda dealer a month ago. The car has only got 14,000 miles on the clock (13,700 miles when I bought it a month ago). Now I notice that when I pull away from still and change from first to 2nd gear after the car reaches about 10-15 miles/per hour on the first, the car judders and produces a 'clinking' sound. However, if I change to 2nd gear immediately after the car starts moving (say at 5 miles/hour on first gear), then it seems to be fine. There is no such a problem in higher gears/reverse gear.

Has anyone else got similar problem? Could the clutch/gear box be faulty? When I bought the car, the sales guy told me it was their curtesy car. I am wondering if the clutch is on the way out? But for such a little mileage, isn't it very unusual for the clutch to be worn so quickly even for a curtesy car (unless many people drove it rode the clutch).

The car is still under warrenty, but I think the warrenty excludes the clutch as it is a 'consumable' part. Is it worthwhile to take it to the dealer now? If I can avoid the judder only at very low speed, then I cannot accelerate quickly at junctions which can sometimes be dangerous.

Any advices/suggestions will be appreciated.

Honda Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE [VSA] - Jazz 1.2 Juddering at first gear - Peter D

Take it to the garage and report the fault. It may not be the clutch at all. At least the issue will be logged into their system and probably fixed. Regards Peter

Honda Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE [VSA] - Jazz 1.2 Juddering at first gear - gordonbennet

Agreed, Honda dealers generally don't seem to take for granted their customers like some others.

Be very surprised if they don't fix this sharpish.