What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Replacing a Ford fusion 1.4 tdci, but what with ?. - Bigdaveg

I've had a fusion 1.4 tdci for 2 years and have a desire to replace it with something a little bigger (5 large'ish adults plus lugage), better, more reliable and without costing a fortune (tax, insurance etc), budget £5k.

I am not a big fan of Fords (I consider them unreliable, solely because everyone I've had has cost me a lot of money, in comparison to any other make) and having owned several Japanese cars (no problems and more reliable than my best Ford), I have shortlisted the following; Mazda 3 1.6ts diesel, Honda Civic 1.6 petrol & 1.7 cdti (which wife has), Honda Jazz, and the Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi exclusive, strangely the Citroen and in pariticular the 2.0 hdi has some excellent user reviews, I did like the look of the cmax (pity Honda don't do something similar), but it's a ford & the write up on this web site ain't great. I absolutely love the C3 Picasso but it's way over budget.

Anybody have any thoughts, in particular which of the shortlisted cars would be my best bet ?.

Replacing a Ford fusion 1.4 tdci, but what with ?. - Avant

With 5 largeish adults I'd say it's between the Civic and the Picasso - old-shape Civic that is, which has as you know (asssuming that's what your wife has) lots of room in the back. You'd need a roof-box or rack for 5 people's luggage, which might fit in the Picasso. Maybe add the Toyota Verso to the shortlist. The Jazz is a good car but surely it hasn't any more room than a Fusion?

If you do fewer than 15,000 miles a year you probably don't need a diesel.

Replacing a Ford fusion 1.4 tdci, but what with ?. - gordonbennet

Kia Carens, proper automatic Diesel version too if required.

Agree with Verso, and the rare Avensis Verso is a superb car.

Replacing a Ford fusion 1.4 tdci, but what with ?. - Auristocrat
From the HJ reviews: Jazz boot space (rear seat upright) 353 litres, seats folded 1323; Fusion (rear seat upright) 318/337 litres, seats folded 1109 litres,
Replacing a Ford fusion 1.4 tdci, but what with ?. - Bigdaveg

Of the cars I have mentioned the Picasso has by far the biggest boot, the Boxy civic (the best one IMHO), is on a par with the Jazz, the Mazda 3 has the smallest boot.

That said literage is one thing but actual use-ability is another, the Civic's boot is bigger than my fusion, but the wheel wells hamper loading, a fusion does'nt have a boot lip or said wheel wells, so load wise it ain't as clear cut as people might think.

Rear leg & shoulder room are very important, 3 adults in the back of the fusion is do-able but not recommended, the springs are also naff, imho, the civic is a little better and having owned a Mazda 323 (a really nice "drivers" car), I would imagine the 3's not much better in the width department.

All this points to the Picasso, biggest boot, 3 individual removeable seats etc. Anything out there that's as reliable (in 2.0 hdi guise) ?. Ref the Verso, yep a really nice car "but" how big's the boot and could you squeeze some biggies in the back doors ?.. The Cmax & Citroen c3 picasso are about the size I'm after, sadly one's a ford and the other's way too pricey ;-(