What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - itoma69

this car is for sale for 5k , 2007 reg, 14000 miles only, however it has been writen off cat c. The seller seems a decent guy and he asures me that he only did some body work to the driver side. He changed the driver side door panel, driver side front wing panel and the front bumper. I saw the car today and I have to admit it looks like new. I took it for test drive and can not really complain. There is a lot of discussion around this topic, still do not know what to do.

Anyone can help with some advice please? Has anyone had similar dilema?

thanks

mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - tony g
Itoma,
I would be wary of this one,your description of the parts that have been replaced on this car don't seem to justify the car being a cat c write off ,I would guess the car has had more extensive repairs than you suggest,

Second the price ,it's about £2000 cheaper than you could buy buy a similar ,non write of car .

Generally the trade value cat c d cars at about 50 % of the equivalent retail price.

Finally ,although it seems cheap it will always be a cat d car .
If you want to part ex it ,and you can find a dealer to take it,they will value itat about 50 % of the normal px price.

The only time cars like this make any sense is if you want to keep them long term ,until they have very little retained value ,ie if you keep the car 5 years and it's not worth anything ,your cost of ownership is£1000 a year.

Regards

Tony g
mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - unthrottled

My brother has had two cat C cars. Both have been great value. As Tony says, the trade in value is poor, but, if properly repaired, they can represent great value in long term ownership.

mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - daveyjp

MB retail for that car is between £7-9,000. This suggests to me the damage was more than just a couple of panels requiring a respray. The A class has a sandwich floor and damage to this is expensive to repair. I'd want it to be checked properly, including full laser alignment, rather than go on some shiny new panels and paint.

mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - Collos25

A cat C cn be a small bump to a major rebuild asked to see photos taken by insurance company if they cannot or will not provide them walk away.

mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - madf

changed driver side front wing panel and the front bumper

So lots of likely hidden damage like inner panels, support panels, floor, suspension mountings etc..

You really need an inspection by a competent engineer and a written report.

Could be a death trap on wheels if the suspension supports are damaged.

mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - Ethan Edwards

Maybe the reason it looks so brilliant is that it may not even be a repaired car. The chap could have bought a badly damaged car (Cat C) and just stolen an identical undamaged model then swapped identities. Price it cheap for a quick sell...kerching!

mercedes benz A class 160 Cdi avangarde - would you buy a repaired write off cat c? - austinambassadoryreg

I would be extremely wary . - for a lateish low mileage car to be written of as cat c it would usually need to have taken a knock hard enough to cause some suspension and chassis damage requiring a body jig. That's fine if an insurance approved bodyshop/main dealer is doing the work but how do you know the quality of the work is good ?. Or was the car written of after a minor bump because it was already a cat C car from a previous major accident ?.

Personally I only buy older cat d cars now for my own use and later high mileage cat d's and never anything on a cat c. And I would only buy a damaged car direct from a salvage yard so i know exactly how severe the damage is. , And then i would expect to keep the car for myself over several years until it's trade in value was low anyway

There is just too much scope for back street bodyshops to cut corners imho ..using roofing bolts, superglueing up air filter boxes, but welding on new chassis legs etc. the potential to bodge is massive, . Also check with your insurance company if they are happy to insure a cat c.