What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - ford focus diesel smoking on the overrun - focus2000

Hi, I just bought a 55 plate focus 1.6 TDCI. Round town it has been fine, but I've noticed on the motorway, doing anything above about 60 mph, that when I take my foot off the accelerator, a lot of white smoke pours out of the back. Nothing comes out while I have my foot on the gas, and as soon as I put my foot back down, the white smoke stops. I've only had the car a week, so I think the 3 month warranty should help me out if it's something mechanical. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Sam.

Ford Focus - ford focus diesel smoking on the overrun - Fernando P

You have not disclosed how many miles are shown as having been done!

sorry, 85000

Ford Focus - ford focus diesel smoking on the overrun - MikeTorque

It's worth reading the link below. Does it describe your problem ?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

Yeah, kind of, except the turbo hasn't failed on me yet.

Ford Focus - ford focus diesel smoking on the overrun - RT

If it only happens on the overrun, it'll be an oil-seal issue, ie turbo - OR - valve stem seals.

You can reduce the issue temporarily by using higher viscosity oil but that'll just increase the wear rate and hasten either a head rebuild or a new turbo.

Thanks, I'm going to try taking it back to the dealer to see if they can do anything about it.

Hi, I took the car back, and they replaced the turbo charger (under the warranty) They said that it would smoke a bit while any oil in the turbo was burned off, but about 400 miles later, its still smoking, and only on the overrun on the motorway. Do you think this is oil burning off? or could it be the valve stem seals? I don't see why it would only smoke on the overrun if it's just a bit of oil being burned off,

Thanks.

Ford Focus - ford focus diesel smoking on the overrun - edlithgow

If it only happens on the overrun, it'll be an oil-seal issue, ie turbo - OR - valve stem seals.

You can reduce the issue temporarily by using higher viscosity oi ratel but that'll just increase the wear rate and hasten either a head rebuild or a new turbo.

Nigher viscosity oil does not ""just increase the wear rate"as a general rule. It reduces the wear rate slightly, reduces the oil consumption slightly more, and increases the fuel consumption, slightly less..

Ford Focus - ford focus diesel smoking on the overrun - Peter.N.

If its white smoke that's usually unburnt fuel, could be an injector problem.