What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - 1.4 automatic - current model - colinh

Read a couple of magazine reviews (two years old), and they don't inspire - which is surprising given it's a conventional torque convertor box rather their older CVT or robotised manual.

Has anybody any up-to-date experience of this autobox, please, as the rest of the Fiesta package gets rave reviews? Have Ford sorted it out?

Ford Fiesta - 1.4 automatic - current model - RicardoB

We've got one in our household - a 1.4 Zetec trim. They only do the automatic in 1.4 in the UK, but I have noticed that in some foreign markets, they offer 1.6 with powershift - if only they'd do that here!

It's a super little car. All the current Fiesta attributes - looks, ride, handling and pretty well equipped and comfy inside.

The transmission is a 4-speed torque convertor jobby and is very smooth. Yes, you can feel the gear changes but they are very discrete. It goes remarkably well. If you are in the mood, you can make excellent progress from standstill and surprise a few tailgaters.

Fuel economy is working out at about 31mpg, but ours is primarily used on local type trips.

I like it a lot. It's just a shame that the VED band is a tad high in my opion, but that's the way it goes nowadays.

Thanks for that - sounds as if they've now sorted it out. Usual problem with "first drive" reviews carried out on pre-production cars, probably.

That economy figure is grim, even for local runs. The quoted combined figure is in the low 40s which poor in the modern context.

Ford Fiesta - 1.4 automatic - current model - jamie745

Ford's automatics never have been tremendously economical. It says low 40s but you're talking more 35ish in reality and considering my 3.0litre S-Type automatic does about 27-28 on average combined thats hardly inspiring stuff from Ford unfortunately.

Thanks HJ.

Spent the last week exploring the supermini automatic market, and have decided that "downsizing" is not going achieve very much. My current 2.0l petrol auto is giving 38mpg average over 3 years of brim-to-brim records, and most of the small automatics don't give much better. Most of them have very restricted rear visibility, and numerous compromises have to be made regarding the absence of options that I like, e.g., cruise control (do a lot of long motorway journeys), folding wing mirrors (narrow garage entrance), leather trimmed seats (seem to wear cloth ones quickly).

So breaking a habit gained from a lifetime of company cars, wont be changing at 3 years, and will follow the old advice - the best car is the one you've got.

The new Fiesta is a fantastic car but you've discovered what some of us on here have been saying for quite some time that downsizing is a false economy. Small cars cost more to buy, sometimes are more to insure and carry a hefty price premium for having a low tax band that you sacrifice alot to gain little. People are so obsessed with mpg and tax now that they'll spend £7,000 on something which does 4mpg more and dealers know this aswell and price accordingly. Many are surprised by the mediocre fuel economy on many small automatics as 35mpg isnt that brilliant frankly when a 530d automatic will do the same, apples and oranges i know but you have to look at the whole package.

What car do you have currently if i may ask?

Ford Fiesta - 1.4 automatic - current model - Falkirk Bairn

>>>when a 530d automatic will do the same, apples and oranges i know but you have to >>>look at the whole package.

Whilst there may not be huge fuel savings you have to remember there are other costs.

eg 530 - runflat tyres are £200 each

I am not saying that there is a definite benefit in buying small it will always cost more to run a big auto than a small auto - big auto from new lose big bucks in yrs 1-4, slower after that.

Isnt that covered by 'apples and oranges i know..' then?

You dont have to fit it with runflats anyway, plenty prefer normal tyres.