What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - clutch pedal free play - mellybeer

hi does any know anything about free play on ford focus clutch pedals when releaseing the clutch ie when you press down,results in long travel of clutch and to my mind uncomfortable leg postion to avoid rideing the clutch as the pressure needed to depress the clutch is slight.clutch is firm after this point and biteing point nice and low.any help much appriciated as ford main dealer does not seem to think this is solverble and "its just free play"

Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - clutch pedal free play - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm not sure what your actual problem is here. I had a 1.6L petrol Focus and I always found the clutch to be 'squashy' in comparison with other cars. Biting point was low and I don't know about diesel ones but I needed next to no gas to set off. I liked the clutch and gearbox set up; it was pretty effortless.

If you can't be bothered holding your foot on the clutch while you're sat at traffic lights for example, then come out of gear. You'll put less wear on the clutch then anyway.

Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - clutch pedal free play - BenG

Not sure if you mean that the bite point is too low or too high, but perhaps this depends on how worn the clutch is? I always found the clutch on my Focus TDCI ('03 model) had a bite point close to the top of the travel and was quite sharp, so that it was easy to stall the engine, but it was the original clutch after 62k miles so may have not been at its best. I'm not sure if it's possible to adjust the pedal so that the clutch bites at a different point in the travel, but from the reply of the Ford garage it sounds like this might not be possible.