What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car recommendation - delboy1974

Hello Everyone

First time I've posted here, so here goes:

I'm looking at changing my car, currently drive a Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi SE

We're looking to change our car as living in Glasgow, the roads are an absolute disgrace. And with winter coming, the roads are only going to get worse. Plus the fact that local councils are cutting their budgets, I cannot see the situation improving. In fact I see them getting a lot worse.

And so driving the Civic is becoming somewhat of a chore, it's extremely firm ride is currently doing my head (and back) in. It's a brilliant car, loads of room, great mpg, looks great etc. But we need something bigger and with a smoother ride.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a car with the following requirements:

Max Budget £8k

Reliable

Economical

Smooth Ride

Spacious + Practical (We are a young family of 3, but I see us having more kids)

To give a heads up I've looked at Nissan Qashqai's, X-Trail and RAV 4. Someting around the 40mpg mark is about as low as we could go.

Looking forward to hearing the suggestions, cheers.

Car recommendation - dereckr

Are you fixed on the 4x4 or “crossover” option?

What about the Accord? You could get the estate version with the same engine as your Civic. It would surely fulfil the practical and spacious requirement (for things as they are now at least!)

They must be worth a look, if you could find one for 8k that is.

Car recommendation - Bobbin Threadbare

I went on Parkers to play with their lovely 'choose me a car' suggestion gadget, but they've removed it. I will say that everyone will take the pee out of you if you buy a Cashcow.

Dereckr makes a good point; a Honda Accord is comfortable (having had a long journey in one, you can hardly even feel speed bumps!) and spacious. It's also got a very high NCAP crash rating so it's nice and safe. They're good looking too.

The obvious alternative for a reliable Japanese comfort-wagon is the Toyota Avensis.

Car recommendation - SteveLee

New shape Citroën C3 Picasso - by far the best riding car in its class, 50+ mpg, fit Vredestein Quadrac 2 all season tyres and don''t worry about the need for 4WD.

Car recommendation - delboy1974

Cheers guys, I do like the Accord, but both my Dad and a good friend have Accord's and complain about the firm ride. the roads in Glasgow, really are atrocious.

And to be honest I would only buy German or Japanese in a used car, purely for reliability. So that would rule the Citreon out.

I have no problem about the car's image. I've driven Toyota Carina's for years. So won't have a problem with the Qashqai.

To be honest, having more thought on it, I really like the X-Trail. So i think that's what we're going to go for.

Cheers again

Car recommendation - Ethan Edwards

I don't know what your budget is but XTrail...be very careful of the 2.2 TD's. Later one's are fine but early 2.2's have issues with the Turbo.

Car recommendation - Bobbin Threadbare

To be honest, having more thought on it, I really like the X-Trail. So i think that's what we're going to go for.

Cheers again

Well do let us know what you get and give us a little review won't you? We're all nosy sods on here :-))