What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Hatchback 1.8 TDCi 2001 - Ford Focus TDCi engine seized. - focus55

Hi guys, would really appreciate some advice with a situation I’m in. I bought a ford focus tdci 1.8 diesel 2001 hatchback two months ago from a dealer. It had done a verified 84k and had full service history including recent cambelt change. I am no expert but all fluid levels etc on the car seemed fine when buying, and until a few days ago it drove perfectly. I was doing 60mph on the M5 a few days ago when suddenly the engine started losing power (revs starting deceasing gradually for about 5 seconds) then it cut out. I had the air-conditioning switched on at the time (not sure if this makes any difference though as I have had air-con on many times before). The electrics were ok (cd player still on etc) but power steering and engine was gone. I steered the car onto the hard-shoulder, and called the RAC. The patrolman told me that the battery and engine fluids/oil were all fine, but that the engine had seized. He said he suspected it maybe the oil pressure but could not be certain other than that the engine would not turn over. No warning lights, or anything abnormal (such as engine overheating) had shown prior to this happening, and even when trying to start the car afterwards, still no warning lights displayed. When trying to start the car the engine would not turn over. The RAC towed the car to the dealer I bought it from as it was still under warrenty. Having had the car for a couple of days, the dealer he has told me there is over 8 litres of oil in the car, and that there is no way it could have driven any further than 50-60 miles without having had a problem. I explained that I had not added to or changed the oil in the two months I have owned the car, but that I had checked it regularly and it seemed ok (plenty of oil on dipstick around “maximum” level, but nothing that seemed excessive. Furthermore, the car had driven faultlessly for two months and over 2000 miles until this incident. The dealer told me this was impossible, and I reiterated that I was the only person with access to the car, and that I had not added to, or changed the oil. I would be really grateful if anyone with any knowledge about this could hint at what the problem could be, if it is related to the oil in any way, or if it could be something else? Many thanks.

Ford Focus Hatchback 1.8 TDCi 2001 - Ford Focus TDCi engine seized. - dieselnut

It's possible that one or more of the diesel injectors is leaking or overfueling causing the neat diesel fuel to get into the sump & raising the oil level.

This would also dilute the oil leading to loss of lubrication quality which may have led to a seizure.

The oil would look thinner than normal & would have a strong smell of diesel.

Edited by dieselnut on 07/09/2011 at 15:00

Ford Focus Hatchback 1.8 TDCi 2001 - Ford Focus TDCi engine seized. - unthrottled

It's got to be diesel. Leaked into the sump and overfilled it causing the oil/diesel mix to aerate. Probably a leaky seal.

Fault probably present at time of sale, but 2 months is a long time not to check the oil level...