What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - prolific8

Hi all,

I've just looked at a 2006 Honda Civic that I really like and want to buy. Having done an HPI check on it, I got the dreaded "discrepancy" which looks like the below:

Data currently held on the National Mileage Register (NMR) indicates that there may be a mileage discrepancy on this vehicle.

Mileages as recorded by the National Mileage Register

Date recorded Recorded by Mileage Reading

13-Apr-2007 Franchised Dealer 12,654
30-Nov-2007 Trade Association 22,274
25-Jan-2008 Franchised Dealer 24,857
06-Oct-2008 Franchised Dealer 37,400
20-Jan-2009 Trade Association 41,650
13-Jul-2009 DVLA 134,000
27-Aug-2009 BVRLA 49,288

Does this look like a typical DVLA typo, or is it reasonable that a car could have done nearly 100,000 miles in six months? I love this car and dearly want to buy it, but I'm concerned about this. For what it's worth, the car has a full service history and only two owners (including the current one).

It was bought from a dealer in November 2009, but doesn't appear to have had it's mileage updated since before then. Would the MOT have had that done?

Looking for reassurance - if this can be fixed with service records etc I will still buy it, if not I will walk away. For what it's worth, the car doesn't drive as though it's done 134,000 miles plus, if that means anything at all!

Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - Avant

It could be a typo: but the old-shape Honda Civic is a good car and if you look on Autotrader you should find plenty of others of that vintage to choose from, which should show up clear on HPI.

You obviously have the good sense not to buy anything without a full service history.

Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - jamie745

I think its a typo. Its odd that its come out at an exact number of 134,000 to start with. And thats claiming that 92,350 miles in practically 6 months. Or 15,391 miles per month. Or approx 513 miles a day, every day, 7 days a week. I dont see that being likely, even if you averaged 8 hours of 60mph driving it wouldnt come to that in a day.

Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - jc2

One of my cars suddenly jumped from 9,000 to 110,000 and then back to 14,000 ml. just because of a slip of the pen at an MoT.

Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - TeeCee

Put it this way. 41,650 in Jan to 49,288 in August makes perfect sense, therefore the 134k between the two is almost certainly spurious.

This is the problem with these databases that govern our lives today. No validation of the data entered. Any basic validation would have thrown that up as probably incorrect and to be checked manually, but they don't do manual checking; a) because that costs them money rather than us and b) because it's no skin off their noses either way.

Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - jamie745

I think instead of 134 it should be 43 but someone doesnt know how to type.

The problem with databases and relying on a computer to do it all is a computer is only as clever as the person who programs it.

Honda Civic - NMR/DVLA disrepancy - should I walk away? - galileo

Classic instance of GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.