What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FORD MONDEO 2.0l TDCI 130 bhp 2004 - pulling back/stutters - cully

I recently bought a Mondeo 2.0l tdci 130 bhp it was runnuing ok now it semm to smoke a lot and stutters quite a bit whilst driving pulling back and lack of power and i havent got a clue. i would like some advice and problem solving.

FORD MONDEO 2.0l TDCI 130 bhp 2004 - pulling back/stutters - Bobbin Threadbare

Cully - can you give a bit more description? Like, what colour is the smoke for example? Does it run for a while before behaving like that?

FORD MONDEO 2.0l TDCI 130 bhp 2004 - pulling back/stutters - cully

the smokes Brown/Black when idleing its fine it only happens whilst driving and can happen almost immediatly when pulling away or driving along it feels like a carberatta blockage as if its going to backfire.

It sounds like the EGR valve has gone faulty; if it clogs up you can get browny-black smoke and it will idle roughly, and your power will go up and down while you're driving.

FORD MONDEO 2.0l TDCI 130 bhp 2004 - pulling back/stutters - unthrottled

But if the EGR valve was stuck open, the amount of air being drawn past the MAF would decrease and the ECU would pull fuelling accordingly.

You have a split intercooler hose that is leaking air downstream of the MAF which is resulting in overfuelling.

Damn you unthrottled; overfuelling was my next guess. But I couldn't necessarily have described how. :-P