What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - Carole4X4
Trying to decide which to get, choice has been reduced to either the new 2011 ford focus tdci (115 ps) zetec or the new shape Citroen C4 hdi110 vtr+.

I know I had a very very poor experience with Citroën in the past but the new C4 looks very tempting.
I have also had poor experiences of ford in the past but the new focus looks well put together, very stylish, decently equiped and drives very very well.

I have discounted the Honda civic as they don't do a diesel model now, the Toyota auris is also out of the picture due to being too boring and staid and very very dull to drive. The Peugeot 308 is again discounted due to poor access to the boot and a very high loading lip. The megane was a very strong possibility as I currently have a grand scenic tdci but the drive was uninspiring and didn't fill me with much confidence ( lack of feel through steering wheel and lack of response from the throttle). The VW Golf would have been a first choice but it's too expensive for very little kit and my local dealership leave a lot to be said. We have no skoda dealers close by so octavia is out too.

I don't want a crossover or mpv as my dad cannot access them now as they are slightly too high for him to get into.

Please don't suggest a Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30 as I would rather walk than own either of those.

Comments from owners of focus or c4 ( new models ) would be appreciated.

Carole.
Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - Avant

You need to get a good long test drive in each and see which is more to your taste. The Focus is given a better press, and the 'dull to drive' criticism you've made on some of the alternatives might apply to the C4 as well. I';s less quirky than older Citroens (and the new DS4) - horses for courses perhaps.

The Focus is better value nearly-new as there are a lot of them about and as a result they don't hold their value well. The Golf may sound expensive, but it holds its value much better and may be just as good a bargain in the long run.

Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - jamie745

Have you considered a Mazda 3? Shares a platform with the Focus, reasonably well priced, good range of diesels and i dont think Mazda falls into the "dull to drive" category.

Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - madf

Given Mazda's diesel record and their abysmal customer service, anyone buying a Mazda diesel can be described as "brave" (polite ) or "stoopid" (reality).

Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - unthrottled

Given Toyota's record with throttle actuators anyone who buys a Toyota is brave or stoopid...

Honestly! The DPF regen problem only seemed to affect the 2.0D and was ironed out on the later 2.2D.

Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - Bobbin Threadbare

Petrol Mazdas are pretty good though; it depends how much mileage you do.

Choices:- Focus 11 tdci zetec or C4 11 hdi VTR+ - jamie745

Well i never knew Mazda apparently made bad diesels, ive never bought a new car or dealt with main dealerships so i wouldnt know about their customer service. I was merely making a suggestion of a car about that size which wasnt a Kia.