What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Puma - Please help! Strange multimeter readings?! - gj1982

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I;ve got a Ford Puma which has the age old heater problem (constantly blowing hot air) so I think it may be the HCV.

However I took off the electrical connector and applied a multimeter to test - when i used the chassis as a ground i got just under 12v (11.79) which was constant when i turned the heater from midway to cold. Out of interest I tried with the heater on hot and put the negative into the connector (this connector is just the two wires) and got a reading of around 3v.

Does this sound right? I'm not too familiar with multimeters so may have had the wrong setting or something?!

Ford Puma - Please help! Strange multimeter readings?! - Bobbin Threadbare

Hello - the voltage reading for a car heater should flicker between whatever your battery is (12-14V) and ground if the HCV circuitry works.

I do believe that other Fords will have the same part, because it sounds like you need a replacement! I think Fiestas have the same bits if you can't get Puma bits.

Did you have a look at the fuse as well?

Hi thanks for the reply.

By replacement part do you mean the hcv or the wiring?

The multimeter wasn't really doing that (the flickering) - does that suggest its still the valve at fault or the wiring itself? Of course,I don't see how the valve could affect the multimeter readings if it wasn't connected at the time. I was going to replace the valve anyway but of course if it's the wiring thats a whole different job.

Of course, not knowing much about these things, I could have set up the multimeter wrong so if anyone can advise how to properly test I'd be grateful!

Sorry yes; the HCV itself. If the wiring is sound, then you get the flickering, so yours sounds broken. I don't think you used the multimeter incorrectly; as long as you've poked one prong into one socket of the connector you undid and the other prong into the other connector you will get the potential difference across the HCV, and you reckoned 3V constant, which is not right!

Cheapest fix is to replace the fuse (number 2) and make sure your engine coolant is topped up as well. If that doesn't work then it's new HCV time!

Thanks so much for your help! Just to make sure - both prongs shoud go into the connector i undid, one for each wire? or should one prong go into the connector on the hcv itself? It just seems strange that if I use something on the engine as an earth i get 12v (though still no flickering). Please forgive my ignorance in this!

The fuse seems fine, but I'll replace anyway.

You're not ignorant - you've already got past the stage most people would have given up and gone to a garage! I'm not a mechanic, I'm just a girl that used to help her dad mend cars.

I am trying to remember how it looks in there....You're testing the plug-type thingy that goes into the HCV with both prongs.....one wire into the HCV gets the battery voltage constant and the other is floating and you'll get fewer volts when you ground it if the engine is off.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 08/06/2011 at 15:00

Ahh i think I've tested it correctly then. I'm just worried that if the meter readings aren't right (I'm not getting the flickering readings etc) then it seems to be a wiring issue and not the valve? I just don;t understand that if I earth with the chassis i get 12v, but without i get very low volts.

:s

And btw is cool that you used to help your dad mend cars! I'm afraid mine was as much use with cars as I am!

No probs. Sounds like a wiring issue. HCVs are not too pricey to fix as long as you get a decent part and they're not hard to do yourself.

yeh I've looked into the HCV and I could do it myself, though don't want to be shelling out for that if it isnt the problem and it is a wiring issue - which sounds tricky and pricey :(

Thanks for the reply - I have tried another HCV (though admittedly this was second hand off another car) and also another heater control panel with no change. I don't really see how it can be the HCV if those meter readings are coming out so strange - perhaps its a wiring issue? Possibly expensive?! :(

Ford Puma - Please help! Strange multimeter readings?! - elekie&a/c doctor

With the ignition switched on,there is always 12 volts to one pin at the hcv.The valve works on a system of switched earth path via the control panel.It would be better to test the system with a light bulb across the 2 terminals,this will give a more accurate indication of the operation.The light should switch on for longer as the cooler temp is reqd.S/hand valves are a waste of time.Also check to make sure interior light fuse is not blown.hth

I changed the HCV for a genuine one, no change :( I was convinced this would be the remedy after i saw a thread in a forum where a guy had the exact same problem as me and fixed it with a genuine ford hcv.
Damn :( Now I'm pretty much back to square one and have no idea what to do next!