What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford mondeo, 1.8 petrol (1996) - engine revs - jakibell

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on a problem that I have.

My car starts, runs and performs spot on except that every now and again when sat at lights etc (either in neutral or with the clutch in) the throttle revs increase on there own. Its like the nomal idle speed is just under 1000, but when it does this it kind of blips up and down between 900 about 2,500 /3000 rpm.

The really strange thing is it seems to do it quicker than if I did it on the throttle pedal, its almost like a bike with the responsiveness. Anyway when it does it, it cuts out after doing it a for a few minutes. Any ideas? I dont want to take it to the garage if its something simple.- Cheers Jakibell

Ford mondeo, 1.8 petrol (1996) - engine revs - Bedhead

More than likely the throttle body is gummed up, take the plenum chamber off and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner.

Ford mondeo, 1.8 petrol (1996) - engine revs - richmurr

i had the same problem on my 1998 fiesta.

it could possibally be a little sensor on the air intake system. i just took it off and my car and it drove better then ever. it was off for a week whilst i waited for the part to come through and simply pluged in a new sensor.

it looked like this

vvvvv

<*** id="i_vv4-0" src="http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!CBtEbf!CGk~$(KGrHqV,!hsE0GBkN-jPBNIwDWibcQ~~_12.JPG" alt="" width="176" height="145" />