What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - OrtonMark

I am contermplating buying a 2008 Ford Focus estate from a car supermarket. The RAC report states that the front discs are rimmed. What does this mean and is it an expensive repair?

Thank you.

Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - dieseldogg

I do not know but I presume that this means the pads have worn the discs thinner than the rim of the dics, which may also be thicker due to rust.

I presume in the worst case new discs? is this a cheap fix? sureley?

Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - OG

It's only a problem if the disc is worn down to or beyond the minimum thickness specified by the manufacturer. I'm surprised the RAC didn't say whether or not this is the case.

Brake discs are regarded as consumables and replacement shouldn't be either an expensive job or a difficult one for a competent DIY mechanic (I've just done all 4 of the ones on my Astra.) with the right tools.

Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - oldroverboy

I am contermplating buying a 2008 Ford Focus estate from a car supermarket. The RAC report states that the front discs are rimmed. What does this mean and is it an expensive repair?

Need not be, but phone one of the chains and get a quote for 2 new discs and pads, and allow for that in your calculations, and if it has done a fair few miles allow for a 3 year sevrice, checking the brake fluid too, and an mot. Still worth it after all this? tell us the model and mileage and you can also check the price on websites, I also assume that you won't get a warranty worth the name on it, so be prepared to rely on the sale of goods act. If in doubt, go to a ford dealer and pay a bit more.

Good luck and happy motoring.

Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - Collos25
Its also a good gauge of the mileage of the car or how its been driven.
Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - John F

front discs are rimmed. What does this mean and is it an expensive repair?

No. Jack up car, remove wheel, handbrake on firmly, chock other wheels, start engine, engage first gear GENTLY, apply rapidly rotating carborundum wheel to 'rim'.

If you've let it get really bad you might have to take it off, chip away rust on the inner bit [which can make it sort of swell up] and then smooth it off. Then you'll need new brake pads unless they are are still fat enough to smooth off too. Then you'll need to bed them in by regular gentle braking otherwise it won't pass the MoT test which is REALLY stringent on brakes these days.

My discs last at least 100,000m - record was about 190,000 on our old Passat [admittedly lots of dual carriageway with not much braking].

'you need new brakes/pads, squire' has always been a bit of a racket - there is a lot of rubbish talked about discs being 'disposable items' - they're heavy solid steel!

Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - unthrottled

'you need new brakes/pads, squire' has always been a bit of a racket

Ford Focus estate - Discs rimmed? - John F

'you need new brakes/pads, squire' has always been a bit of a racket

I should've put 'discs' not 'brakes'